PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailers

BuB400
12-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Trying to decide on a enclosed trailer. Would a 6x12 haul 2 sport quads? I would like to keep the trailer size down(ease of pulling,gas mileage,etc.) I went and measured new ones,and a 6x12 seems like it would be pretty tight.

rollie
12-23-2011, 06:11 PM
you probably would want a 7x14, i had a 7x16 and i could fit 2 race bikes in one behind the other easy, or 3 sideways, with a 4th one with one side of its tires up on the 3rd quads tires.

slightlybent47
12-23-2011, 06:33 PM
I have a 6x12 and 2 bikes end to end will barley fit. If I was going to get a new trailer I would go with a 7x14 hands down. The smaller trailer is ez to tow and I can see behind me way better then 7x14. As far as gas millage goes, I don’t think there is much deference between the two.
Ether way get one with tandem axels, they ride better, carry more weight and have breaks.
When you upgrade to a trailer you tend to carry more stuff and you’ll need room for that.

XCRacer236
12-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I have a 6x12 and 2 bikes end to end will barley fit. If I was going to get a new trailer I would go with a 7x14 hands down. The smaller trailer is ez to tow and I can see behind me way better then 7x14. As far as gas millage goes, I don’t think there is much deference between the two.
Ether way get one with tandem axels, they ride better, carry more weight and have breaks.
When you upgrade to a trailer you tend to carry more stuff and you’ll need room for that.

What he said. 7x14 will give you more space and make everything easier and more comfortable. Plus, most of the 450's are around 4'x6'. So a 7x14 will allow you to put 2 right behind each other easily as well as 3 sideways. Agree on tandem axles. Not really any negatives to it

Derrick Adams
12-23-2011, 08:20 PM
I love my 6x12 v-nose. Two quads fit perfect in there front to back but they dont have any room to move. We load ours along one wall and the generator, gas cans, air tank, etc all fit along the other wall.

I did upgrade to the tor-flex axle and radial tires when I bought it but it pulls great. We get 15mpg pulling it with the full size Ram and about 10mpg with the Mountaineer.

mxrcr103
12-23-2011, 08:30 PM
I had your same situation over the summer when I was looking for my first enclosed trailer. I ended up getting a 6x12 v nose single axle. On the one I got it has a 12 foot long box plus the v nose that actually adds 2 foot. Of course the extra 2 foot is shaped like a v so you dont get the full 2 feet of floor space as far as putting a 50 inch wide quad in but it does help. I have a buddy with a regular 6x12 and there is quite a bit of difference. He could not put his utility and his race 450 in his together. They fit with extra room in mine as long as the narrower ute goes in first. I went with the 6x12 over a 7x14 because it is narrower for my wife to pull back on those dreaded nights after a hard crash or just simply to tired to drive. It also fits better at my house where I park it. It was cheaper and I didnt have to get a brake control box installed in my truck. With that being said you can never have a trailer that is to big. But my little 6x12 does everything I need it to do.

slightlybent47
12-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Sorry I meant that if I had 2 bikes to carry I would go with the 7x14.
The 6x12 works great because I only carry one bike.
But the extra room of a bigger trailer would be great when camping at the track.

chucked
12-24-2011, 06:55 AM
I have a 7x14, can fit 3 sport quads in sideways

BuB400
12-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the 6x12 v nose. Forgot to ask what you use for tying your quads down, d-rings or I even seen adj.tracking like E-trac.

Longdong
12-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by BuB400
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the 6x12 v nose. Forgot to ask what you use for tying your quads down, d-rings or I even seen adj.tracking like E-trac.

I have e track on the walls and d-rings in the floor. I use the d-rings before the e-track.

rageatvlawson8
12-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Got me a 8x20 and love it. Can fit more bikes then i have plus all my other junk....toolbox, cabinets, generator, air compressor...etc. Using a diesel to pull it and dont see any dif in fuel mileage from it and my smaller trailers. Nice to have all that extra room inside

finsteratv
12-24-2011, 09:19 PM
18x8.5 here, has a bench up front then 4 quads and a dirtbike, without the bench you could probably have 5 quads. plus we have hanging baskets on this track stuff on the wall for gear and everything.

mx Eli
12-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by finsteratv
18x8.5 here, has a bench up front then 4 quads and a dirtbike, without the bench you could probably have 5 quads. plus we have hanging baskets on this track stuff on the wall for gear and everything.

same size here, 18x8.5, we usually hual my two quads, pit bike, tool box, two cots, two full height closet things, microwave, small fidge,compressor. we can turn the quads sidways in the back and still sleep two adults comfortably. at least 20 coat hooks on the walls. 4 4ft florescent lights,

when not running a generator we have a power inverter hooked to a battery to power lights and radio

ZBlaster
12-25-2011, 09:42 AM
I used a v nose 7x16 for years. Perfect size IMO. Small enough it's not bad to pull, mine was fairly light so it didn't kill mileage too bad. Big enough for me to bring my 2 quads to every race with extra room, etc.

justin.hughes
12-29-2011, 08:33 AM
We have a 6x12 and a 26x8.5. I use the 6x12 when I goto closes races where I only take 1 quad and gear. If we go on a long haul then we use the 26 ft. We also have a 7x14 non enclosed and its perfect for 2 quads. The 6x12 is really tight but can do two sport quads but there is no room left.

4punksdad
12-31-2011, 07:45 AM
I have a Blizzard snowmobile trailer. Its like 20'x8'. The fact that the floor is above the axles allows me to fit 2 quads side by side since there are no wheel wells inside the trailer. My point is, if you are trying to haul 2 quads it can be done with width as well as length.

trx400exxracer
12-31-2011, 10:44 AM
I think a 6x12 is a waste of money. I would at least get a 7x14. You'll buy a new 6x12 everything will fit at first but then when you start accumulating more stuff to take to the track it will get really tight. Then you will want to buy a 7x14 and lose money on your 6x12 trying to sell it and buy a 7x14. Always go bigger than what you want in the first place and you will have no regrets whatsoever. Same thing goes for a shop, garage, vehicle, or house, you'll always want to go bigger or wished you would have thought about it more in the first place. Plus if you get a 7x14 you wont have to put anything in the back of the truck and everything will be locked and secure in your trailer! Theft is getting worse these days so you might want to toss that thought around also.

Senator
12-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Just a few short years ago we were saying the same thing..."All I really need is room for two bikes and a little gear." Then it was three, then it was four, then it was...

Others have hit on a key aspect with the part about possibly going bigger than you absolutley need, especially in the name of saving money on gas. You'll save much more by not outgrowing your trailer. When we were into boats, they called it two-foot-itis, a condition in which you are plagued with the perpetual belief that your boat would be perfect if it were just two feet longer. No matter how many times you upgrade (read: sell the smaller one for a loss and move to a bigger one), you're still two feet short of perfect. It's maddening. And worse, very costly.

Like a fool, I learned the same lesson again in this sport with trailers. We're on our 5th one since 2006. I feel a little guilty saying this because it sounds a lot like advice. But if I were to add up the money I would have saved if I had listened to the numerous folks giving me this advice, or taken it from myself even, I would cringe. So I won't. I'm not urging you to buy a bigger trailer, just to think hard about who may join your family, bikes you may build, cars you may haul, storage you may need or anything else that may pop up as two-foot-itis in disguise.