PDA

View Full Version : 05 serial number break for crank update???

lil_billy_300ex
12-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I was reading that the later 05 450r's already have the crank update? Is this true and is there a way to tell by looking at the serial number or any other signs? thanks

rollie
12-23-2011, 06:02 PM
i am not aware of any serial number cutoff, although i wouldnt be suprised if there is one, and i thought it was just the 04's, could be wrong though

Chances are though unless whoever owned it didn't ride it much, it has already been changed, i doubt they can go 7 years of regular riding without being rebuilt, could be wrong though!!

lil_billy_300ex
12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm on my 3rd 450r now, I owned a 04, an earlier 05 and now I own a later 05, my two first 450's both went through cranks, they both had the old style crank in them, the later 05 I own now has not been split.... Yet. At Honda dealerships the service department gets information about a change or update, I believe it's called or was called "the wrench" One of them did talk about this, it mentioned if a crank did fail, installed the updated one with the collar and different bearing and I swore that it said that some of the newer 05's were already done. I'm gonna stop in at my local dealer and see if they can look this up.