PDA

View Full Version : its never ending

tbrackman84
12-23-2011, 03:40 PM
I put a thread up about my chain possibly slapping my skid plate making a knocking sound, well i replaced my chain and sprockets and used washers to make space and lower the plate a little bit. After riding for a couple hours, i started to hear the knocking again. I went home and put the quad up on a stand and started it in ran it lightly in second gear. the noise seemed to be coming from the axle/ carrier area. I though this was strange because i very recently put a dual row carrier from east coast atv in the rear. I shut the quad off and spun the tires, sometimes they were as easy tpo spin as expected, but then it would have alot of resistance, and when i pushed them with more force, i heard the knocking sound i heard while riding. SOunded like something getting squeezed and dirt getting smooshed. Would this be the bearings already going bad in a dual row? I really didint ride it too much, much less than regular bearings have lasted me in the past. freakin' money pit

ish416
12-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Sounds like bearings to me. If you have the tires off the ground can you move the axle side to side at all?

tbrackman84
12-23-2011, 04:29 PM
thats how I usualy "test" them, but there is no play whatsoever

Stickman400
12-23-2011, 09:49 PM
What about taking a hand on each end of the axle (one between the sprocket and left tire and the other between the rotor and right tire) and pushing each end of it forward and back in opposite directions. If has play that way then they are out also. It sounds like your bearings are out, I'd take it apart and spin them with your finger and see if they roll freely.

powerbomb400
12-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Stickman400 is right. It won't take to take it apart and check it. If the bearings are bad go to a industrial supply and get new bearings. If you checked it now you won't damage the billet carrier. Sometimes bearings can be bad from the get go. It don't happen alot but it does happen.

steve181
12-24-2011, 08:36 AM
go for a short ride then put you hand on your swinger where your carrier is, if its hot its ur bearings

remember water n such can get past the dirt seals and ruin them bearings faster than ****

also make sure you have a chain glider on you skidplate cause 400's chains do love to slap them