PDA

View Full Version : New to 400ex...chain help

B.Rich108
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Hey guys. Again, im new to this world and was wondering if there is a way to tighten the chain on my 400ex. On my old dirtbike there was a tension screw in the back next to the sprocket. Im not seeing that on the ex. Is there not one there or am i just not looking hard enough? If there s not, what would be a good chain to pick up.
Alos, when i clean my air filter, what shoud i use to clean it, then oil it with?
One more thing, how often should i change my fuel filter?
Sorry this turned into a bit of a run on but i figured wheni fix the chain problem, i should go through and change all the filters too.
Thanks a lot.
Brian

ish416
12-22-2011, 01:18 PM
There should be four bolts on the very back of the swingarm. Loosen those then on the left, by the sprocket there should be something there on the carrier that will allow you to rotate it. Going back will tighten the chain, going forward will loosen.

CJM
12-22-2011, 06:50 PM
There is no fuel filter on these things stock.

To add to ishs post, if you look at the carrier there are holes, stick an allen key or similar in them to turn. I recommend you loosen the 4 bolts to very loose to make sure it will move easy.

Thumpin440ex
12-23-2011, 08:57 AM
In all my cases even after the bolts were loose, I still had to use a punch and hammer to rotate the carrier..

John

powerbomb400
12-23-2011, 09:32 AM
If and when you have to take the carrier out put anti-seize on it before you reinstall and you won't have that problem.

Stickman400
12-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Idk about that anti-seize tip. I coated my swingarm bolt with a thin coat of that and then rode in a sandy creek and submerged it several times through a 6 month period and it was still a bear getting it out. So either it all washed off and did nothing or it helped quite a bit and it just doesn't look like it. I usually just coat all my seals, bearings and anything else that moves and needs to come apart later in water proof grease.

B.Rich108
12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks a lot guys...i had no problems with tightening it at all.

atv fan 28
12-24-2011, 10:31 PM
They are no "fuel filter" on a 400, but they do have a screen on the petcock that might need cleaning every so often.

CJM
12-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Anti-seize isnt water resistant, marine grade wheel bearing grease is and its what I use. I still get sand in mine, but it helps protect it.

Also if you ever change the bearings yourself-take the seals and coat them with grease int he inner lip and coat the exposed parts of the bearings heavily as well.

powerbomb400
12-25-2011, 06:03 AM
I use the Permatex Anti-size lubricant which is water resistant. It is ideal for marine use. Put some on your finger and try to wash it off. Soap and water won't take it off. Its silver unlike the Bell-Ray which is black. The Bell-Ray isn't as messy as the Permatex but don't holdup as well.