PDA

View Full Version : Tearing down 400ex

djwilliams0822
12-22-2011, 08:23 AM
It is winter so it is time to powdercoat the frame so I have never done this before so is there any tips? I was wondering what should I replace because it is all off?

Reece616
12-22-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm doing the same thing...

I've never done it before so I'm making it up as I go. I put some of the parts and brakets that came off in baggies and labeled with sharpie, and for the frame bolts, I made a sketch of the frame on cardboard and punched holes in it to keep them organized.

I would look into replacing the wheel and axle bearings, steering stem bearings, swingarm bearings, possible do the a-arm bearings, tie rod ends, etc.

I'm also doing the cables (throttle, clutch, and reverse), brake pads (and fluid), grips,
chain slider and roller, hopefully i'll have some cash for the sprockets and chain too.

That should get you started, I'm sure others have more to say...

chronicsmoke
12-22-2011, 09:29 AM
If you haven't touched your swingarm pivot bolt in a few years, you might be in for a surprise.

Other than that, Id make sure yo order ALL of the bearings at once. Just take your time when you take it apart.

I take ziplock bags and a sharpie and mark what everything is as it comes off. And pictures how the wires run through the frame/subframe are always an asset!

Good Luck and post some pics as you progress! :cool:

Fix29
12-22-2011, 11:14 AM
I would just check everything out as you go. I am in the process of putting my bike back together after a complete tear down. I ended up doing the steering stem bearings, swingarm pivot bolt and bearings, and shock linkeage bearings. I had recently replaced the swingarm carrier and bearings already. Just keep in mind, it's a lot easier to just do it while it is apart.

Stickman400
12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm also doing mine. I just have a pile of parts, I didn't use any kind of organization at all. I just have a photographic memory and once I see a part I remember right where it goes. I would recommend taking pictures of how the wiring harness is routed through the frame though, that's what I always do. And also to take off things in chunks, like the the entire a-arm setup, tire/hub/brakes/upper and lower arm/tie rod. Then do the same on the swinger, drop it all of in one piece instead of breaking it all down into individual pieces. I would check linkage bearings, axle, front hubs, steering stem and swingarm. Other than that good luck, it's a pretty good feeling when you get it all together and it fires up and everything works.