PDA

View Full Version : 06+ trx450r swinger conversion

jrok
12-20-2011, 12:56 PM
So, I this will be my first post. I usually find all the information I need here by browsing through the endless amount of information that can be found in these forums and I just want to start out by saying how grateful I am of you guys for the lack of headache and frustration I've experienced by being a member here. Thank you all. Now, the question I have is that I am really interested in upgrading my 04 400ex swingarm to a 06 or later 450r swinger to gain the extra length and ground clearance afforded by it. I want to know specifically, (other than the carrier, sprocket, rotor, caliper) what I would need to acquire in order to complete such a conversion. Thanks again.

ish416
12-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I had a friend do this to his EX. He bought a complete swingarm (complete down to the axle/hubs/brake/sprocket). He just took his swingarm off swapped the linkage put the new one on and was done.

It was fairly simple but he ended up having issues with his rear suspension binding in rough terrain. It could be his rear shock or maybe the linkage, wasn't sure.

He was running a GT Thunder rear with a GT Thunder XC linkage.

jrok
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Cool deal. I know thats an option, but I was hoping I could use some of my 400 components (hubs, axle, shock) to save a little dough lol. I definitely would like to do the linkage upgrade as well, later, but i'm trying to avoid any unforseen problems beforehand, such as the binding. Do you know if he used the 400 pivot bolt or did he have to convert that as well?

riotact
12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm pretty sure you use your shock and linkage since the 450r is a little shorter.Hubs will definitely fit.There is a few threads on here that tell you exactly what you need and can reuse from the 400.It may be easier and cheaper to keep an eye out on here and Ebay for a +1 1/4 swinger.I was going to do the same as you but ended up trading a new Roll steering stem I bought cheap as dirt for a used LSR +1 1/4 that needed needle bearings.People are starting to rebuild their wheelers now so there are a lot of decent parts out there.

jrok
12-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Sweet. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out. I really wanted the extra ground clearance of the 450s sprocket and brake, with the extra length(06 and up) as a bonus. Nice to know that I can use some of my current parts though. Thanks alot guys

JamesPyles
12-20-2011, 04:52 PM
You can use everything off the 400ex on the 450 swingarm! Been researching this myself and just bought an 06 swinger off eBay. The 450 brakes are an upgrade but not necessary and the only modding is the chain roller needs to be spaces, couple washers and some longer bolts.

jrok
12-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Awesome! That's exactly what I needed. a definitive answer. By the way James, I see your location listed as Kirkuk. How's the weather over there? Haha! I appreciate your answer as well as your service man. I'm an ex-Army veteran myself who served with the 173rd ABN BDE. How's the old airfield lookin these days? Its been a minute.:)

JamesPyles
12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
No problem! Seems to be the thing to do now and with everyone swapping out their 450 swingers there's plenty of em around. Did a ton of research before finally buying one, and the deal I got off eBay I could t pass up. I ride woods and hills soni gotta get the wheelbase out some! Was stationed in Kirkuk while in Iraq, we (2-12 Cav 4th BCT 1CD) came back in Sept. it was hot as balls there man lol I'm sure you know all about that! I mean it wasn't Kuwait or anything but still 130 in the shade:/. Placed sucked *** and thank god we finally pulled outta there! Next stop, Afgan in 2013! How long you serve for?

jrok
12-20-2011, 06:27 PM
**** yea it was hot. I lost about 40 pounds while i was there due to the heat. We were actually the first unit to drop boots there in March of 03'. What a crap hole! We stayed a year before heading back to Italy. I only served a 3 year contract before returning to the bayou lol. Good luck in Afghan! Our guys headed there about 4 and a half months after returning. My ETS was in that time so I decided to pack it in. Had some good times though, good times.

400man
01-11-2014, 11:34 AM
old topic, but better than creating a new one.

im considering going with a 06+ 450r swingarm since its suppose to make it handle and ride a lot better with the extra 1 1/4" length, and also there are so many more options for skidplates/rotor guard setups with the extra 2 skid plate mounts it has.

so my question....do I use the 400ex or 450r pivot bolt and spacers? I read that I have to have the 450 rubber chain guide, and that the 400ex carrier will work but its wider? so there is some chain alignment issues?

thanks in advance

Stickman400
01-12-2014, 12:51 AM
The pivot bolt and spacers should be the same I would think, but have no clue, so wait for someone who has done it to chime in. The carrier is narrower on the 450 so if you use the 400 carrier you will need a spacer to align it. I've got this thread in my favorites for if/when I decide to do the same, it's where I got all my info at from good 'ole Dustin J: http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?486832-I-need-a-Swing-Arm&highlight=450R+swingarm&pp=10

400man
01-12-2014, 04:34 AM
aite thanks for that. so if I use the 400ex carrier, I will have to leave a small gap between the carrier/singarm for the chain to align correctly? that makes me think if I had the 450r carrier that it wouldn't line up then, right?

And, I noticed there are GOBS of 04/05 swingarms on ebay, and very few 06+ to pick from and are piced a lot higher usually.

MtnEX
01-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Noticed the same. All the 04-05 guys are switching to 06+... well a lot of those old bikes are getting grabbed and built into racers. And they change them and keep the front end. Cheaper than putting the older better front on the 06+.

Teixeira did this swinger also. Not sure what he did. But it was an 06+.

Anyways, I saw on here the other day where someone put all of the lengths in a list. Wish I had copied it.

MtnEX
01-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Got lucky and found that again fast...

I went out and did some measuring yesterday and was a little suprised with what I found. My 400EX stock swingarm measures 18 1/4" from the centerline of the pivot bolt to the CL of the axle and the stock length Laeger swingarm on my '88 250R frame measured 18 1/2". But from the pivot bolt to the front hubs measured 29" on the 400EX and 30 1/2" on the 250R so the longer wheelbase is mostly coming from the front half of the chassis.

Honda has been back-and-forth on the length of the swingarm on their sport quads:
'86-'87 250R = 19 1/2"
'88-'89 250R = 18 1/2"
'99 up 400EX = 18 1/4"
'04-'05 450R = 18.9"
'06 up 450R = 19 1/2"
I didn't measure a 450R myself but those are the lengths I found doing some searches on the net. What I found interesting is that on the 250R the consensus is that the shorter swingarm on the '88-'89 handled better that the longer one on the earlier models but on the 450R most people say the longer swingarm on the '06 plus handles better.

I was just curious about the various measurements as I have already decided to try a longer one on my 400EX as I found a Houser in great shape. I think pretty much all the aftermarket swingarms made for the 400EX were plus 1 or plus 1 1/4" and those guys know what they were doing to make a quad handle better. Not to mention that it is fun doing some challenging hill climbs when trail riding and a longer swingarm is definitely a benefit for that.