PDA

View Full Version : 07 trx450 shutting off

dchan
12-19-2011, 08:25 PM
i recently rebuilt my motor with new rings and a port job on the head and when i put it all back together it starts up fine but it will randomly shut off. i checked the valve shims and the wiring harness and they were right.....i dont know what else to check ????

Drfat400ex
12-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Dirty carb?

DnB_racing
12-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by dchan
i recently rebuilt my motor with new rings and a port job on the head and when i put it all back together it starts up fine but it will randomly shut off. i checked the valve shims and the wiring harness and they were right.....i dont know what else to check ???? you need to give a better description of all symptoms, the better the question the better answer you will get,

does it run past idle? does it run WOT? at what throttle position is the issue? have you checked all the connectors? does it shut off when hot?does it run with choke on? will it start right up after stalling? have you done any other work? wiring? frame painting? what have you checked? when was the last time it ran? was there any issues that caused the rebuild? fresh gas? clean filter? clogged lines? clean vent tube? is the tors still active?is it an ER? or R? starting compression?...

these are only the minimum of the things you should be supplying for information,,

give exact details and im sure someone has had the same symptoms ,, you only need to give better details and we will be more then willing to help

dchan
12-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I didnt paint the frame or anything, the carb is clean,it usually stalls out at about a quarter throttle, its has good new 110 cam2 fuel, all the fuel lines are clear, all the vent lines are clear, nothing was wrong with the motor just refreshing it for next race season due to accumulated hours, it runs fine with out throttle, has a clean filter, and good starting compression and it is a ER.

DnB_racing
12-20-2011, 08:07 PM
I didnt paint the frame or anything, the carb is clean,it usually stalls out at about a quarter throttle, its has good new 110 cam2 fuel, all the fuel lines are clear, all the vent lines are clear, nothing was wrong with the motor just refreshing it for next race season due to accumulated hours, it runs fine with out throttle, has a clean filter, and good starting compression and it is a ER. can you get the throttle above 1/4 at all or does it stall every time?

and are you sure your gas cap vent line isn't blocked? sometimes the steering stem has water or dirt in it and when you put the vent line inside it vapor locks the flow,

I know you said the carb is clean but it sure does sound like a plugged jet or passage

dchan
12-21-2011, 08:54 AM
If I push the throttle real slow it will stall out every time but when you do it fatser it revs up good but then it doesnt idle like it should for about 10 seconds then it clears up. I have one of those little stubby tank vents on it cause it has a jb stem and there is no hole for a regular tank vent. Ill take the carb apart and soak it in carb cleaner to be double sure though.

DnB_racing
12-21-2011, 02:13 PM
If I push the throttle real slow it will stall out every time but when you do it fatser it revs up good but then it doesnt idle like it should for about 10 seconds then it clears up. I have one of those little stubby tank vents on it cause it has a jb stem and there is no hole for a regular tank vent. Ill take the carb apart and soak it in carb cleaner to be double sure though. when cleaning the carb, make sure you remove all jets and hoses and blow everything out with compressed air

Scro
12-21-2011, 03:18 PM
If I push the throttle real slow it will stall out every time but when you do it fatser it revs up good but then it doesnt idle like it should for about 10 seconds then it clears up. I have one of those little stubby tank vents on it cause it has a jb stem and there is no hole for a regular tank vent. Ill take the carb apart and soak it in carb cleaner to be double sure though.

I've had one of those tank vents become clogged before...just FYI. I don't think this is your problem though. I think DnB is on the right track.

audioworks04
12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Did you rejet when you put it all back together? The port work could cause a lean condition. Do you have an air leak at the carb boot? Have you done anything with the leak jet, it sounds likes its flooding out as the leak jet "squirts". I would still check all your connections and grounds first of all.

dchan
12-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I took the carb all apart and soaked it again and blew out all the passages and jets and it seems to be running ok now, although the carb did look pretty clean when i took it apart, but i guess i will find out for sure tomorow.

nick15
12-21-2011, 08:02 PM
hey man i have a 08 450r and mine seemed to have the exact same issues as your describing here i cleaned the carb and all that good stuff still would die out it end up being the throttle positioning sensor on the side of the carb theres a little tiny button mine wore out replaced ran like new took me forever to figure that out but maybe it will help