PDA

View Full Version : 2004 450r cdi box suggestions?

honda1988
12-19-2011, 07:45 PM
My 04' 450r needs a new cdi box, I want to spend between $100-$200.... anyone have any suggestions on the best one?

muddzilla94
12-20-2011, 06:02 PM
If your going to buy one dont buy a cheapo like big gun or any of them, there all made by procom and could hurt your engine more than help it. Dyna is the only way to go i have the prog version and i love it, the non prog is really good too

trx250r1
12-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by muddzilla94
If your going to buy one dont buy a cheapo like big gun or any of them, there all made by procom and could hurt your engine more than help it. Dyna is the only way to go i have the prog version and i love it, the non prog is really good too

I was told not 2 use a programmable vortex because I'm still using stock valves. I mention this 2 another friend and he said he's done it with no problem. ?????

04450r
01-01-2012, 02:24 PM
If your going to buy one dont buy a cheapo like big gun or any of them, there all made by procom and could hurt your engine more than help it. Dyna is the only way to go i have the prog version and i love it, the non prog is really good too Please elaborate on the pro com issues'..Ive been running one of their higher end boxes for atleast 3yrs now,with zero issues?!...And nothing against any other company,it was on my quad when I got it,just never heard anything bad,and would certanly buy another

trx250r1
01-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 04450r
Please elaborate on the pro com issues'..Ive been running one of their higher end boxes for atleast 3yrs now,with zero issues?!...And nothing against any other company,it was on my quad when I got it,just never heard anything bad,and would certanly buy another

Thats all my neighbor use 2 run on his 400ex b4 the 450r came out. He had no problems but now it seems that all you see are bad reviews on them

Honda5
01-01-2012, 02:35 PM
There is nothing wring with the procom cdi they are a very good part for the price. The vortex is a great cdi but a little costly.

trx250r1
01-01-2012, 03:08 PM
i hear ya. Found a good deal on a vortex but again a mechanic told me that I shouldn't use a programmable vortex with stock valves. Think I'll jus get a nonprogrammable dynatek when i finish with my 250r's

Honda5
01-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Did he say why he didn't like stock valves with a vortex? I have been running vortex with oem valves for 7 years and at least 30 Motos a year and only replace valves once a season and only 1 dnf in the last 5 years and that was a crank. Never broke a valve

trx250r1
01-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Honda5
Did he say why he didn't like stock valves with a vortex? I have been running vortex with oem valves for 7 years and at least 30 Motos a year and only replace valves once a season and only 1 dnf in the last 5 years and that was a crank. Never broke a valve

Nope. He didn't say. I jus tld him i'd found 1 at a gr8 price and thats wut he tld me. I repeated it to 2 friends and they didnt agree. I dnt know bt 2 people I trust sed not 2 and 2 other people I trust sed it'd work. $175 4 a programmable vortex is a steal!

Honda5
01-01-2012, 09:09 PM
I would buy it at that price.

muddzilla94
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
the only thing most procom box's do is raise the rev limiter and advance the timing alot. if you have a built engine then the advanced timing on them could cause excessive heat and then issues would start. if your running stock motor then i would see no need for a rev box because the stock motor wont make power past the stock rev limit

trx250r1
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
the only thing most procom box's do is raise the rev limiter and advance the timing alot. if you have a built engine then the advanced timing on them could cause excessive heat and then issues would start. if your running stock motor then i would see no need for a rev box because the stock motor wont make power past the stock rev limit

I guess my motor is considered stock. I jus have a Stage 2 Hotcam, FCR Carb, HMF exhaust, K&N style airfilter & CP Piston. No headwork.