PDA

View Full Version : Gopro Technical advice

HondaPohl
12-18-2011, 06:47 PM
So I just got a Gopro for my B-day last friday. Went right to walmart for an SD card and went riding Saturday with it. I bought a PNY 8gig class 4 card which gopro suggest at least a class 4. I recorded all day and than uploaded the vids up on my PC. Now when I play the vids in windows media player or movie maker, they are all choppy. If I play the vids in VLC media player they play fine. The problem is that in the three different editing programs ive tried, they all play choppy. My PC is a couple years old but is a quadcore with all the good video hardware. Anybody run into this issue? I'am waiting for a good kingston sd card to come in cuz that is what gopro recomends.

CJM
12-18-2011, 07:12 PM
1. Try turning hardware acceleration down on the pc.

2. If its playing it back choppy on everything but VLC it might be codec related. Might want to try and find a codec pack that has a variety of different codecs.

HondaPohl
12-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by CJM

2. If its playing it back choppy on everything but VLC it might be codec related. Might want to try and find a codec pack that has a variety of different codecs.

Will try. Thank you!

Tommy Warren
12-18-2011, 08:04 PM
maybe the videos are too long you should turn it off and right back on to start a new video to make the files smaller.....thats if it starts recording automatically

Pacheco_450r
12-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Had the same problem with mine, (5 year old computer) It isn't your card since I've been using a PNY class 10. These files are so big and the HD makes it tough for smooth playback. After I uploaded my videos to youtube/vimeo they came out nice. I'm not a computer guy but just saying that i had the same issues with playing my videos back.

quad2xtreme
12-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Is this the HD version? What resolution are you using?

You may want to scale it down to just taking 720 30 fps.

As noted earlier, it is chopping when trying to view on the computer but when you burn to disc or upload to a site, it will play fine. it is just a PITA trying to edit.

You really won't notice muchdifference with 1080 unless you are on a 65"+ television.

HondaPohl
12-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Is this the HD version? What resolution are you using?

You may want to scale it down to just taking 720 30 fps.

As noted earlier, it is chopping when trying to view on the computer but when you burn to disc or upload to a site, it will play fine. it is just a PITA trying to edit.

You really won't notice muchdifference with 1080 unless you are on a 65"+ television.

I've been recording in the 980 or 960 setting. I tried a sample on youtube and it played fine like you said. Thanks!

HondaPohl
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by CJM

CJM, I downloaded the K-Lite codec pack and that solved all my problems. Thanks again for the advice.

CJM
12-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Your welcome Pohl :)

The reason VLC played it back fine is it has all those built in codecs already.

RaceEcar191
12-22-2011, 05:17 PM
:)