PDA

View Full Version : 450R rear brake swap

Stickman400
12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Ok, I know what I need to buy to do this swap, but my main reason for doing this swap is that I need a little extra clearance (like 1/2") from the sub-frame when the rear shock is at full compression. So does anyone know if the 450R rear brake setup has a lower profile than the 400ex? Does anyone on here have a 450R and 400ex that they could take some measurements of the total height of each setup from the top of the axle to the top of the caliper? If you're wondering what this is all related to just check out my "Winter Rebuild" thread. Thanks guys!

Baileygunns
12-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Pm me a number and I'll txt you a few 450 picks.. I know for sure the rotor on the 450 is smaller. We are in the middle of doing the swap on my buddies 400. We just need a caliper for cheap lol

J250r
12-18-2011, 05:48 PM
What do you consider cheap? I have a 450r caliper for sale

Baileygunns
12-18-2011, 05:59 PM
PM sent

Stickman400
12-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Well I went out and took a few measurements from the top of the axle to the highest point of the caliper using a straight edge. Then another from the highest point to the top of the swingarm housing, and then one more from the low point of the brake hub to the top of the rotor. I have a buddy with a 450R that I'm gonna go over and take those same measurements and see whats what. I'm also concerned about this because I ordered a Durablue antifade brake hub/locknut (like this: http://www.motosport.com/atv/DURABLUE-ANTIFADE-BRAKE-HUB-LOCKNUT ) assembly, and if I end up getting a 450R setup then the rotor won't work because the rotors are different sizes and the bolt points won't line up. I think I'm just gunna call Motosport tomorrow and cancel it, then re-order which ever one I end up going with.

Baileygunns
12-18-2011, 07:20 PM
That won't work... 400 is 4 bolt and 450 is 3 bolt.

Stickman400
12-18-2011, 08:18 PM
I know, thats why Im gunna call them tomorrow and cancel, then order one for a 450R. That way the hub will fit the rotor and still work on my Durablue axle.

Stickman400
12-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Alright, I took some measurements off of a friends 450R and it looks like it should be 1" shorter than the 400s. I ordered all the stuff earlier, so we will find out sometime next week if it will work. Wish me luck!

CJM
12-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Indeed good luck. I wonder if it has to do with the fact you have 19" overall tires vs 20's?

dustin_j
12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Indeed good luck. I wonder if it has to do with the fact you have 19" overall tires vs 20's?

If you're referring to his clearance issue, then no the tires do not make a difference. The shock bottom out location is independent of tire size, when comparing swingarm travel and subframe clearance. Not sure if this makes sense. Given his linkage, his caliper would hit no matter what size tires he has because the shock has not yet bottomed out.

If you are thinking about frame height on bottom out, then yes his tires make a 1/2" difference. He will now bottom out at 1" or less frame height instead of 1.5".

Hopefully the swap provides more clearance, and better braking performance. The extra clearance on the rotor will be nice as well, depending on what swingarm skid you use.

CJM
12-20-2011, 12:54 PM
I see Dustin.

It just seems to baffle me why he has the clearance issues with the brake caliper when GTT themselves claim the link fits with only a little modification? Id say having the brake caliper hit is a BIG problem.

Maybe a reworked shock, setup for the link wouldnt have the issues-did I miss the part where stickman got it redone or is he using a stock shock?

dustin_j
12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
He is getting his shock redone for th link ;) . Setting the shock up for the link does not change the extended and compressed lengths on the shock; the linkage is designed to optimize stock shock travel. I am also confused about his brake caliper contact.

Stickman, just to make sure, you are measuring center to center distance, right? Is your tape measure straight and everything? These questions are trivial, but if there is a slight error, it'd confuse the readings. I will verify stock extended and compressed lengths tonight since it's been awhile since I've measured it.

Stickman400
12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Well I'm using GT Thunders steel skid plate that they offer on their site, so I should have great ground clearance.

Stickman400
12-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Yea Dustin, I've used 2 different tape measures that are both damn near new. And I'm checking that I'm measuring from the center eye-to-eye distance 5-10 times.

dustin_j
12-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Yea Dustin, I've used 2 different tape measures that are both damn near new. And I'm checking that I'm measuring from the center eye-to-eye distance 5-10 times.

I knew you were measuring well and checking it. Hopefully I didn't offend you by asking, just making sure it's not a silly error or anything. I've chased my tail a few times with weird measurements, then realized I was doing something stupid. I measured a spare 400ex shock last night. Extended length 15.5", compressed (metal to metal contact) 11.375" (11 3/8). So the numbers I gave previously were correct.

It might be worth sending Laz Sommers (GT Thunder, address on his site) an email with a picture showing the caliper contact and your center to center measurement. He usually responds to emails within a couple days. Just explain your issue and ask if there may be something different about your linkage or if he's seen this before.

Have you checked bearing carrier rotation position again, or have you tried rotating it? Not that you want a band-aid fix, but maybe he's assuming you'll be more toward the rear of the adjustment, and your sprocket and chain combo puts you at the front (where caliper is highest)?

Stickman400
12-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Yea, I took the axle out and had some new o-rings for my carrier so I took that out and cleaned it up and replaced them and put it back in so that it's at the 6-7 position. I didn't feel like putting it back together until I got all my brake parts that I ordered.

leakyvoodoo
12-21-2011, 07:37 PM
I have that set up on my 400 that I am parting out. All you need is the rotor,calber and the stay that the calber bolts to. did you do the front 450r swap yet that's a must also have that set up forsale. All parts are off 05 450.

Stickman400
12-22-2011, 12:51 AM
No, I haven't done anything to the front yet, I was planning on doing it sometime though. I would buy it, but I've poured a little more money than I was hoping to into it this winter. If you save it for me I might buy it sometime in January. pm me a price an I'll tell ya what I can do.

Stickman400
12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Well I got my brake hub today, and it seems somebody messed up and gave me the wrong one. It says that it's for a '04 450R, but it has a 4 bolt setup, and every 450R has a 3 bolt setup. So I called them and I have to return it and wait some more. Damn, and I was getting my hopes up that I would have all my parts before Christmas. :(