PDA

View Full Version : Honda 90 Mod Questions/aftermarket part availability

jwerde
12-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Just got my son a 2001 Honda 90. I would like to do some mods. I'm interested in a dual a arm mod, swingarm mod I would like a big quad Honda style swingarm, big Honda wheel mod and I would really like disk brakes. Am I crazy or is this possible? Also interested in aftermarket parts if you all have any. Thanks, Josh

Drfat400ex
12-19-2011, 01:56 PM
It sounds possible, but it also sounds like alot of work. Good luck because it would be sweet if you pulled it off.

jwerde
12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
No info? This forum used to be hopping! What happened?

Logan #34's Dad
12-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Hello, you need to go to the mini section and then under the Honda 90 section. There are a ton of mods for the trx90. You'll probably be able to find most everything your looking for in the classifieds.

Logan #34's Dad
12-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Our TRX125, My son will compete in the 90 Production class at the ATVA Nationals.

trompen542
12-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Kids On Quads Racing, 616-363-1215 has everything you will need. suspension, and motors.

miniquaddad90
12-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Ditto on what Logan's dad said!

Surf around and you'll find the info you are looking for.

KOQ stuff is good for XC
ATV4Play has an awesome MX kit
Fincher Racing is good MX stuff too

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=120

suspension101
12-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the Kids on Quads stuff. It is junk. I've done a lot of custom builds and that is some of the worst products I've worked with. Go with the ATV 4 Play or the Fincher Racing products. The KOQ is half the price but there is a reason!

miniquaddad90
12-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by suspension101
Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the Kids on Quads stuff. It is junk. I've done a lot of custom builds and that is some of the worst products I've worked with. Go with the ATV 4 Play or the Fincher Racing products. The KOQ is half the price but there is a reason!

I would agree that its not the best stuff... BUT... If you really spend the time setting it up and dialing it in, it does work well for the money. If youre going all out MX then I would say dont bother with the KOQ stuff, but for XC and local MX its not bad.

I cant say anything about any of the KOQ stuff for any other quad, our experiance is just with the TRX90 products

trompen542
12-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by suspension101
This post amazes me, KOQ has been making their trx 90 products since 2004, and if you look at the other kits out there, the other companies have copied their arms almost exactly. As far as I know, there have been no failures, and kits that were sold in 2004, are still running today. the only reason I can think of the post by suspension 101, is, he works for another suspension company, and has never really seen a koq product.

suspension101
12-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Actually work for a shop but am not a competing a-arm competitor. I've installed many sets and these are by far the worst out there that I've personally dealt with. If I were a competitor then why would I recommend two other companies?
Here are the problems with the KOQ Arms:
1. They use the cheapest high misalignment bearings you can buy. I replaced the set I installed with brand new high quality ones before they were put on the bike. And the hole where the bearing went was way too walered out the bearing was loose.
2. They claim a certain amount of wheel travel which was impossible to achieve due to the limiting factors of the tie rods hitting the frame.
3. The camber change from fully extended to fully compressed was not much different than running a stock single front arm setup.
4. In order to achieve the correct camber the inner heims had to be turned out so far that the a-arms were too wide to fit into the frame mounts.

These are just some that I remembered off the top of my head.

The swingarm rear brake setup was also a joke too. And you couldnt use the 400ex chain guide like they told me. Also he told Me to use a front master cylinder off of a cr85 which I said wouldn't work with a thumb throttle but I tried it anyways. Guess what, it wouldn't work!

trompen542
12-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Interesting,comments, but if you look at the pictures on the website, and the pictures posted on here, in the mini section, everything you said would look to be false. Enough said.

miniquaddad90
12-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Hummmm

*Our "Ball joint spherical beraings" were fine
*Its been a while since we had a set on our race quad but if I recall it had about 7-7.5" of wheel travel up front with 14" shocks. No issues with tie rods hitting the frame
*Camber change through travel was there but didnt seem to affect with our rider, still have no problem running 1st-2nd all of the time
*We were able to get 1-2deg camber with no issues
*KOQ suggests a CR125 rear master cylinder for the rear brakes. I myself welded 2 little threaded bungs to the frame and used a TRX450R rear master. The CR master setup was a little hokey but easily improved upon

I dont work for KOQ nor were we ever sponsored by them. As I said before, and I know some other KOQ trx90 owners will agree. They are decent for the money. Not everybody wants or can afford to toss $1000 for a set of arms, plus shocks, plus spindles hubs and brakes too. I prob spent more time than you setting them up, after a few hours of checking and rechecking, they worked well for us racing mainly XC, some local MX, and even some TT races too.

So.... the kit might not be for everybody but works well for some. We also have Fincher arms, they are nice, but nice and pricey too

miniquaddad90
12-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Name this front end
:devil:

trompen542
12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
isn't that your one of a kind Bud Fisher, made for you?

miniquaddad90
12-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by trompen542
isn't that your one of a kind Bud Fisher, made for you?

SHHHHH Top secret:eek2:

They are one off for sure, 16.25" shocks, zero camber change

trompen542
12-28-2011, 11:41 AM
probably not available to the general public, and knowing bud, they might be a bit more expensive then the KOQ arms. if they were. How is your daughter doing this year, is she on the 300 ex yet. KOQ is working on some a arms with motowoz for the youth production team riders, but they will be a little to wide for gncc.

miniquaddad90
12-28-2011, 12:16 PM
probably not available to the general public, and knowing bud, they might be a bit more expensive then the KOQ arms. if they were. How is your daughter doing this year, is she on the 300 ex yet. KOQ is working on some a arms with motowoz for the youth production team riders, but they will be a little to wide for gncc.

Correct as a 1 time production, price was right on as he has sponsored her for years now. We took a WELL NEEDED break for the 2011 season, due to her age in the PA series there was very few racing her class, OH series was lucky to get more than 4 SR Minis on a line, and if I recall correctly she got 4th at two of the GNCC's.

Plus we rushed things too much getting new motor and front end setup correctly. Left the shiney new motor on the bench all season and ran the tired "built by dad" all season. Mark Baldwin set up some schweet PEP shocks for it mid-late season which really made a HUGE improvement.

She raced the 300 a few times, did better and better each time. She got 2nd in JR Woodsman the last race on it. Doing a full build as we speak, new shocks, arms, motor, etc....

Prob gonna run 4-7 GNCC's on the 125 and a few local races on 300 for 2012

trompen542
12-28-2011, 01:16 PM
It sounds like you have everything covered, but if you find you need anything, give me a call.

miniquaddad90
12-28-2011, 01:29 PM
It sounds like you have everything covered, but if you find you need anything, give me a call.

Will do! Thanks for asking about her, it's been a while. Take care, hope you had a nice holiday and best wishes for you and your family in the new year

trompen542
12-28-2011, 02:28 PM
THANKS, YOU TOO

suspension101
12-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Interesting,comments, but if you look at the pictures on the website, and the pictures posted on here, in the mini section, everything you said would look to be false. Enough said.

Would you like me to post the pictures on the quad that I installed them on? I would be more than happy to since you can see EVERYTHING from a picture.