PDA

View Full Version : Key Switch Removal

Drfat400ex
12-17-2011, 08:53 PM
I need to make a bracket for my key and neutral and reverse lights, for my new bars, but I can't pull the cover up enough to get a good look under there to see how to get the d*** things out of their holes. Do you just yank them out or do you have to press on clips or something? I don't really want to try and pull it off until I know how, thanks.

Stickman400
12-17-2011, 09:15 PM
It's easier just to unplug the wires from where they plug into the harness on the front of the frame. Then pull the cover and lights/switches off with the wires and then pop them out. The key switch has 2 tabs on the back that you have to hold in while pushing out on it for it to pop out. As for the lights, just pop the lens off the front of it and then pop it out the back.

Drfat400ex
12-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks man, I thought I could feel the tabs on the key but I couldn't see in there to know.

Drfat400ex
12-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Okay now I'm running into trouble. I know it's easiest to unhook the wiring from the harness, but I have my heated grips sodered to the ignition wire and I hate doing wiring I always mess it up so I don't really want to snip and soder, and because I'll have to do it again when I get my new dash pannel. So anyways is there any way that you can take the bottom of the key out, maybe have something to do with the tabs the arrows are pointing at?

CJM
12-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Snip it and just use a crimp on connection. I never had an issue with crimp ons IF done right.

The key switch can only come out thru the top btw and unhooks at the connection by pressing on some tabs.

JOHNDOE83
12-26-2011, 05:59 AM
heres a pic of my key re location if it helps?

key and tether kill relocation.

If you need details pm me.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/newdragex006-1.jpg

Drfat400ex
12-26-2011, 08:06 AM
What about these things, can it unhook from the bottom?

JOHNDOE83
12-26-2011, 08:25 AM
if you trace and unplug that wire, there are clips like that above where your pointing and the switch comes out from up top.

Drfat400ex
12-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I know how to take it out, I've had it out before but I have to take it off the dash but I don't want to snip my heated grips wire to take the ignition wire out through the hole. What I'm wondering is if you can seperate the wire and the bottom peice of the key from the top peice so I don't have to take the wire off the harness to get it up through.

JOHNDOE83
12-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I would just snip and crimp OR snip and use male/female plugs like CJ said.

Stickman400
12-26-2011, 04:46 PM
I see what you're saying. And you can unplug that bottom part, somehow. My friends key came apart right there but he didn't do it on purpose. Just watch out if/when you get it apart, there is a piece in there that can fall out and then your key won't work anymore.