PDA

View Full Version : 2012 AMA-ATVA Classes are posted.

Logan #34's Dad
12-15-2011, 09:47 PM
http://www.atvmotocross.com/pages/amateur-racers/2012-national-classes

YOU now have ONE week to ask for changes.
Well scratch that ^^^. These were appearently posted on Dec. 8th. One week is over......

jay-r
12-15-2011, 11:14 PM
New 6 to 11 girls class. That may change our national plans. Gives us another class to consider. Apparently they didn't make 50sr a single speed class either.

edwardsp&b
12-16-2011, 07:03 AM
New 90 mod class for younger age group is a pretty good idea. I also notice the cvts out of the SS class. Funny how thats flipped a total 360 in a couple of years, the cvts used to complain about running with the cobras. I also like the girls 6-11 class, I think overall pretty good changes.
Bryan

Ryko racing
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
This looks very good. i think maybe they listened to everyone and came to a compromise.

should be a good season.

DAVYS DAD
12-16-2011, 01:26 PM
I think its crazy not to let cvts run in the ss class,or in the 90 production class.I always thought cvts were production machines.Looks like you can run cvts in the 50sr class,why not in the 70ss.SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.....

GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN 2012

Logan #34's Dad
12-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by DAVYS DAD
I think its crazy not to let cvts run in the ss class,or in the 90 production class.I always thought cvts were production machines.Looks like you can run cvts in the 50sr class,why not in the 70ss.SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.....

GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN 2012

Well, I'd say that what it looks like is that they tried to make it so every type of quad has at least two classes they could run in.
The 70SS is a little puzzling because they are allowing a 50cvt to run in the 50SS class. I guess when the FULL race Cobra's started getting whooped by the 70cc production yard machines of Justin Palmer and Josh Holley the daddy's started complaining.
I get the argument from the shifter parents as to why the cvt's are just easier to ride BUT a Single Speed is basically the same - give it gas and go....
It seems the AMA-ATVA try to appease the Cobra company...let them hover in the grey area of the rules....(I'm referring to the Cobra being "production").

Ryko racing
12-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Before the Cobra bashing starts maybe everyone should read the AMA paper. Sean Hilbert spent many hours visiting and lobbying for the lead law to be repealed. i believe he did that because of a recommittment to quads on his companies behalf.

The current crop of cvts are great and fly, but with Cobras drive system it can never put out the performance of the cvt as it is pretty much a direct drive system with stall.
Actually that is a great class for a 70 ltd. rider as it is about as fair of a class as there is because they are basically governed due to the design. ( tuned by jetting and gear ratio).

When the Cobras were faster everyone wanted them separate, now the shoe is back on the other foot. I think the classes are fair this year.

just my 2 cents, in this economy actually1 cent.. merry christmas everyone . See you in Alabama .....

Steven623
12-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Cobra 70ss class was designed for guys whom bought cobra 50 cc quads and after racing them wanted to make them 70cc with out putting in a shifter.

CVT's are belt driven which is like having a transmission in there.
EXAMPLE:
Cobras don't have a belt and when they go on a track that has long start and tight track, they have to gear accordingly to make it possible to race, which is tough. If they set up for long start they are going through clutches etc.. on the tight track.
CVT's are able to do alot more with clutches , belts, gearing etc... to run many different track conditions.
Years ago I remember many cvts griping that they didn't want to run with cobras. Now since the cvt market has come a long way, it is tougher for the cobras with ss to compete. I believe that atva making the class for 70 cvt, and 70 ss was a good idea. They are 2 different quads and should have there own classes.

jay-r
12-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Very well said, and I agree 100%. I wish that the 50 sr was a ss class. The CVTs wanted their own 50 class and got it. The CVTs are a whole different animal now than they were back then. Now they get to come back to 50sr and holeshot the Cobras. Kind of a double standard.

jake55
12-16-2011, 04:26 PM
i'm very pleased with the changes, i realy like that they split the 90mod class into two different age groups. the one that has me baffeled is the two girls classes. i'm all for a 70 girls only class but to have to be 12 years of age to run the 90 girls only???? that should be 8 to 15 yrs old, not 12 to 15 yrs old, imo. might have to be several young ladys building 70's for 2012 that ran 90's this year.

DAVYS DAD
12-16-2011, 04:29 PM
So it sounds like people are saying its not FAIR to run 70cvts with70 cobras,but you can run 50cvt with 50 cobras.MAKES NO SENSE......It would seem to me that 70 cvt or ss should run together and not allow either to run 70mod unless its a shifter.

quadrider79
12-16-2011, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DAVYS DAD
So it sounds like people are saying its not FAIR to run 70cvts with70 cobras,but you can run 50cvt with 50 cobras.MAKES NO SENSE......It would seem to me that 70 cvt or ss should run together and not allow either to run 70mod unless its a shifter. [/

I can tell you from experience that a well tuned CVT , with a good rider on it, can beat any Cobra 70. There is no comparison. With a CVT you have the best of both worlds. Bottom and Top end. The same goes with the 50's. The only thing that sucks is that the Cobra 50's have only 1 class to race in and the 50 CVT have 2. Then again same goes for the 70ss class, 1 class.

jay-r
12-16-2011, 05:18 PM
I think the 50 CVT has an advantage over 50ss Cobra. A good CVT will always holeshot a Cobra.

I agree that the 2 different girls classes messes up some of the girls that ran 90cc last year. However, it does benefit us to be able to run 50sr and girls 6 to 11. The girls class was very successfull last season. I think it was a good move to split it up and broaden the age group that can run. It will be nice for my daughter to be able to race against other girls after the 50 class.

skyeryder
12-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Looks good but from what everyone is saying it sounds like our 70cvt only has one class?? Sure wish we could run with the 90's, but I've read about that on here before.....

don bassani
12-16-2011, 08:42 PM
70cvt can run 2 classes,70cvt and 70 mod,however 70 mod can only run 1 class.70 mod should be called 70 shifter and be alone.70 ss should be alone because they are single speed(not variable ).70cvt should be alone(variable).CVT-constant variable transmission,the ultimate set up when adjusted properly.70 single speed has 1 speed,70 mod/shifter has gears and clutch(requires more from rider-proper use of clutch/proper gear ect..)70 cvt-always in proper gear-easier to ride.With all the european influence from racing scooters,cvt's are extremely advanced and are faster than both single speeds and shifters by a pretty large margin.

Ride1Rob
12-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Why won't they just have a one time national championship over a few days? Is it bc of money that will be lost? Hell, they'd prob make more as riders from all over the US and other countries would show. Then there would be time to have the neccessary classes needed for all the bikes. How do you guys think the gates would be that way as opposed to running a full national series? I know they aren't going to do it but was wondering why they haven't gone to it.

Logan #34's Dad
12-16-2011, 09:43 PM
I see where your going with that concept Rob but personally I think the way the amateur dirt bike crowd does it is wrong and flawed. If that procedure is so great then why don't the pro's do it that way? I personally believe the series is how you get a true champion. Any good rider can win on any given day and if it just so happens that he does it at Lorretta's after a 1st turn pile up that he didn't get involved in, he's a National champ??? Or that great rider who fails to qualify because his bike had problems or some bad luck. Bad concept......IMO

d1g888
12-17-2011, 07:53 AM
as for as the 70ss i think on certain tracks a cobra is better and on others a cvt is better. you get a kid that will hang it out on a rough track with a lot of jumps and he can win on a cobra. you get a track with a lot of straights and hills and a cvt with a good rider can win. I under stand both sides but i wish it it was open for both quads because no one will be able to get contingecy if its not atleast 10 riders. If it wasn't for cvt in the class in 2011 no one would have got any contingecy.
I also agree to a point with Mr. Bassani with the CVT being variable and the cobra being ss. I'm just glad we are on all shifters now and no ss.

DAVYS DAD
12-17-2011, 09:10 AM
I just wanted to know why 70cvt/ss cant run together but 50CVT/SR CAN.I bet we see lots more70cvt/ss in the mod class now that cvt/ss cant run together,is that fair to the shifter kids?After checking laps times 70cvt/ss are very very close .FEEL ME KNOCKING....

Ride1Rob
12-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
I see where your going with that concept Rob but personally I think the way the amateur dirt bike crowd does it is wrong and flawed. If that procedure is so great then why don't the pro's do it that way? I personally believe the series is how you get a true champion. Any good rider can win on any given day and if it just so happens that he does it at Lorretta's after a 1st turn pile up that he didn't get involved in, he's a National champ??? Or that great rider who fails to qualify because his bike had problems or some bad luck. Bad concept......IMO

I see your point with that but they run 3 motos throughout the week to determine the champion for every class. The cream always rises to the top. Ciancurelo, Webb, Bell, etc... are always there in the end as well as any of the best riders in the other classes. A yearly series has the same issues. Cam was picng proof of that this year. Sometimes the best rider doesn't win the title regardless how many races u run. Just my .02 ;)

Ryko racing
12-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I understand both sides of this discussion. The main problem with a bike type of championship is.

Most states dont have a large enough quad follwing to set up a qualifier system that also would make money for the Promoters.

I know in Michigan there is virtually NO organized quad racing. ( they are running a series but not many riders compete but they are growing a little each year).

I know many states have the same issues . Thus our sport would most likely die out.
I know that it is tough to drive to all the races especially with friday practice day. ( i wish we did not have that day)

The bike riders have their practice laps beforwe racing starts just to tune and see the track.

it would be more affordable and easier for the working man if the tracks werent open on friday.

But i also understand that without friday practice our fees would go up as practice day is profitable.

I t is just hard to take 10 3 to 4 day weekends a year from my job. ( i am in the car business so it is not a happy discussion w my boss)

I think this year will be good and turnouts should be solid, it also looks like every racer will have 2 classes to race. ( not necessarily 2 classes to win but 2 to race in). This schedule does make the classes very competitive i believe. WE WILL SEE.....

Ride1Rob
12-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Guess I really didn't think about that. Only the national would be filled with quads. The qualifiers in some places prob wouldn't be worth running them. Good point!

lilman
12-18-2011, 10:36 PM
i like robs idea! i think you would draw tons of riders. heck put one together anyway. we will come

Logan #34's Dad
12-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by lilman
i like robs idea! i think you would draw tons of riders. heck put one together anyway. we will come

Loretta Lynn's quad race seems to bring a lot more than the usual circus. I know that if you win that race you are pretty much the king of your world and you can use it to lure sponsors....;) Generally, people have know idea that we don't have to "qualify" to make that race so they assume that if your rider was invited he MUST be awesome........lol.

Ride1Rob
12-20-2011, 02:28 AM
I guess when you look at it the National 10 race series is probably equal to those that run their individual national races on dirtbikes. There's Mini O's, Ponca, Amatuer Nationals, Lorettas, World Mini, etc... The question to ask would be if the quads were setup like Lorreta's with the qualifiers would there be individual national quad races throughout the year? So I guess they are doing it the right way to keep some good national quad racing for amatuers all throughout the U.S. That didn't cross my mind before.