PDA

View Full Version : Painting The "Honda" On My Engine

Rohr397
12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
So I've seen a lot of people do this one their 400ex's and 250r's. I want to paint the Honda logos on the engine cases black, I've got the high temp paint from the dealership and I'm ready to go but I can't figure out how to get the paint in there. I tried masking it off and cutting the tape but that didn't work very well. I also tried using a toothpick and dipping it in paint (can't remember where I saw that idea on here), but that didn't work either. I really want this to look good and I just don't know what else to try. Anyone??? Thanks!

B.C.#11TRX400EX
12-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Haha u got the toothpick idea from me, haha I just bent the toothpick to right width and just dipped it in the paint and put it on the engine, took a while but it got it done

camaromitch
12-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Try just getting the paint on there smooth, then while it's wet, take a paper towel with thinner and wrap it around something flat, like a sanding block or chunk of 2x4, and wipe it over the honda. If you have it nice and flat and not dripping with thinner it should clean off all of the black around the letters leave the paint in the low spots.

Rohr397
12-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I tried both of those... For whatever reason the paint refuses to stick to the inside of the letters. It goes on solid on the engine casing but is runny and see-through on the letters. I'm kinda getting frustrated I don't know what else to try.

CJM
12-15-2011, 03:40 PM
In order for the paint to stick you MUST have the area scuffed up a bit and it MUST be clean. I would take a small dowel and put some sandpaper over the end of it, 220 grit should be fine. Work it in there to rough up the honda part. Then clean with acetone or paint thinner and wait for it to dry.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
12-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Ya ruff it up and spray some carb cleaner or somethin on it to get all the oils off then try it paintin it

Baileygunns
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Take the cover off and lay it flat on a table... Im guessing you are trying to do this while it's on the bike and that's why it's running.

buck440
12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
or turn it on it's side:ermm:

01boneless
12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
lol every "honda logo on my 450 is painted black. all i did was take a pointy paint brush took all of 10 minites.

Aarons 01 400EX
12-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I haven't painted my honda logo, but did paint the FIKSE on my FM5's I had on my TA. I used an enamel paint pen. I picked it up when I used to work for Sikkens car refinishing. You can probably find something similiar at hobby lobby or a model store.

camaromitch
12-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Good call on the paint pens. You can get them at Wal Mart also.

audioworks04
12-21-2011, 04:02 PM
You can also get really small paint brushes at hobby stores use to do details on models. They are almost like a qtip, but much much smaller tip. I fill mine with powder wipe off the extra and bake it, but that is probably not an option for you I assume.

Aarons 01 400EX
12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by audioworks04
You can also get really small paint brushes at hobby stores use to do details on models. They are almost like a qtip, but much much smaller tip. I fill mine with powder wipe off the extra and bake it, but that is probably not an option for you I assume.

I bought a couple fine horse hair paint brushes and didn't work as good as the paint pen. But I'm not a surgeon either... :D

audioworks04
12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
What I am talking about is not so much a brush as a very small ball of fuzz, but yet still leaves a clean smooth finish.

Thumpin440ex
12-22-2011, 10:16 PM
This is no BS.. I always do things rite, not hack or half *** them.. But for chits and giggles one day I used a black sharpie, didn't even clean the honda letters out, after 5 rides, cleaning it, it is still black.. hahaha.. real talk

John

greencow
12-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
This is no BS.. I always do things rite, not hack or half *** them.. But for chits and giggles one day I used a black sharpie, didn't even clean the honda letters out, after 5 rides, cleaning it, it is still black.. hahaha.. real talk

John

I will be doing this soon... See how it works out for me.