View Full Version : Recent Honda patents

Black Sheep
12-15-2011, 04:31 AM
look them over and come to your own conclusions...I have mine...lol

http://ip.com/patent/US8007005

http://ip.com/patent/US7954835

Black Sheep
12-15-2011, 04:33 AM
...and if you still haven't figured it out...Aluminum framed 450R with a newer CRF style engine.

P.S. Mods, if you want, move this to the 450R section

Ellingsoc26
12-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I would say that looks pretty good

Fred55
12-15-2011, 08:50 AM
From briefly looking at it..the tie rods are in front of the shocks. It says it is to move the heavy shocks towards the center for weight distribution.

fastredrider44
12-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Thats a bad idea for woods riders.

Anyway, Did I see sections as in another bolt together frame? Looked like a narrow frame up front. Maybe this one will handle better.

Exrider434
12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
It looks similar to the kfx 450 frame

woodsman250r
12-15-2011, 10:42 AM
I was expecting to see a patent for some BNG...

trxredrider
12-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Nice find Black Sheep :D

chronicsmoke
12-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by trxredrider
Nice find Black Sheep :D

x2! Thanks for the link!

motofreak2772
12-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Whats up with the top a-arm being in front of the shocks? This is an awesome find though.

motofreak2772
12-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Whoa, i didn't even notice the other pictures.. The frame is bolted together, and the gas tank is dropped down in front of the engine. What is in place of the gas tank though? I can't figure it out.

motofreak2772
12-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Ah nevermind I read the description.. It's "various electrical equipment" lol.

blacknblue#2
12-15-2011, 05:34 PM
awesome find!!! still not 50 inch wide though from what i gather. their just drawings though so hopefully im wrong lol

honda400ex2003
12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
looks pretty sick!

steve

hrc450er
12-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Who cares if its 50 inche everyone buys aftermarket stuff anyway. The rear shock linkage is diff in the two links one looks like old setup and the other is yam style

XCRacer236
12-15-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't see pics...?

EDIT: Nevermind..

guy310
12-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Looks like some piece of crap that will never get built to me. They probably still have leftover models. haha

blacknblue#2
12-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by hrc450er
Who cares if its 50 inche everyone buys aftermarket stuff anyway. The rear shock linkage is diff in the two links one looks like old setup and the other is yam style

i know everyones type of riding is different but to me 50 inch is a make or break deal. I cant afford 2000 dollar front ends anymore like i used to be able to and a 46inch quad is way too tippy to me. Once some debt is paid down i plan on going back to quads and right now my choice will be a YFZR for the width reason. Set of tires and nerf bars and go. Even when i trail rode i had no trouble at all with my MX quad settin at 50"

Rich250RRacer
12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
i know everyones type of riding is different but to me 50 inch is a make or break deal. I cant afford 2000 dollar front ends anymore like i used to be able to and a 46inch quad is way too tippy to me. Once some debt is paid down i plan on going back to quads and right now my choice will be a YFZR for the width reason. Set of tires and nerf bars and go. Even when i trail rode i had no trouble at all with my MX quad settin at 50"

But it's OK for an XC guy to dump $2000 to get it down to race width? As I've posted before, and it's a fact that's documented, only about 2% of the sport quads sold in this country are actually used for racing, and that's ALL forms of racing, so why build something that is only wanted by a few MX guys?

blacknblue#2
12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
But it's OK for an XC guy to dump $2000 to get it down to race width? As I've posted before, and it's a fact that's documented, only about 2% of the sport quads sold in this country are actually used for racing, and that's ALL forms of racing, so why build something that is only wanted by a few MX guys?

yamaha thought of both worlds and made the plunge to please everyone. A smart move they just done it at the wrong economy. If honda build just one model ive always said they could at least split the difference. SOme XC guys go +1 anyways and us MX guys only go plus 2. So they could at least make it wider than the previous models have been. As for amateur trail riding i would rather it be wider also. I trail rode on every tight trail in southern ohio at 49 inches wide and never had any trouble. To me wider quads are just something thats gonna come about in time. Guys pissed and moaned a fit about 4 strokes when they came out too and we see where thats gone lol. Not tryin to start a pissing match just discussion

01boneless
12-16-2011, 03:21 PM
first thing i do when i get a quad is make it atleast 48-49 inches. i to ride tight trails and hillclimbs never bumped a treee or anything. i like the new honda design just hard to say when they will bring it to sale.

310ESR
12-17-2011, 07:33 AM
After looking at the pictures the frame is definatly not a bolt together. The gas tank only on the left and the radiator on the right is what I'm curious about and how it's balance will be. That one piece a-arm bracket looks sick though. Thanks for the info

motofreak2772
12-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 310ESR
After looking at the pictures the frame is definatly not a bolt together. The gas tank only on the left and the radiator on the right is what I'm curious about and how it's balance will be. That one piece a-arm bracket looks sick though. Thanks for the info
The frame is 3 pieces, and made up of a bunch of tubes. I guess it could be welded though. And yeah, I saw the tank on the left too but the description says it will be behind the radiator. And on some pictures they have the upper a arm in front of the shock and in others it is normal.. So I guess it is still a work in progress of what they're doing.

quad2xtreme
12-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Why would Honda make a 50" wide quad...to revive mx racing? If my product development or marketing Director came to me with the recommendation of putting out a 50" wide quad, I'd put them on commission based solely on units sold for this 50" wide model. (In reality, I'd start looking for new personnel).

fomospede
12-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda should sell HRC control arms and associated parts that are for mx

id like to see some good shocks with hi-lo adjusters too!

quad2xtreme
12-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
Honda should sell HRC control arms and associated parts that are for mx

id like to see some good shocks with hi-lo adjusters too!

Honestly, they wouldn't get many buyers from serious racers unless they offered discounts and contingency. These guys need the contingency from Houser, JB, Walsh, ATV FourPlay, and others to have any chance.

motofreak2772
12-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Why would Honda make a 50" wide quad...to revive mx racing? If my product development or marketing Director came to me with the recommendation of putting out a 50" wide quad, I'd put them on commission based solely on units sold for this 50" wide model. (In reality, I'd start looking for new personnel).
A 50" or "race ready" quad isn't a bad investment.. I don't have any numbers to back me up or anything but if you think about it, a lot of the people who are buying these sport quads are the goons who don't know anything about the sport. The fact that they see the words race ready on it will inspire them to buy it even though they will never touch a track. When they look at the quads they will think the bigger(wider) ones are better and go with that. All they need to do is start coming factory with metal mulisha graphics and the sales would easily double haha.

440ex. ehhh!!
12-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
A 50" or "race ready" quad isn't a bad investment.. I don't have any numbers to back me up or anything but if you think about it, a lot of the people who are buying these sport quads are the goons who don't know anything about the sport. The fact that they see the words race ready on it will inspire them to buy it even though they will never touch a track. When they look at the quads they will think the bigger(wider) ones are better and go with that. All they need to do is start coming factory with metal mulisha graphics and the sales would easily double haha.

True...But when it comes to guys that don't know anything about the sport, they could also just say "Honda's widest ATV on the market" and "Race Ready" on the 2008 model and put a 2012 sticker on it.
If the guys really do not know anything, then this will surely get them to buy it.
Just as long as they have not stopped by a Can-Am, Suzuki, or Yamaha dealer yet...lol

rbgnwa45
12-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Can't they do 47.5" wide and level with everyone? :D

Rich250RRacer
12-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
The frame is 3 pieces, and made up of a bunch of tubes. I guess it could be welded though. And yeah, I saw the tank on the left too but the description says it will be behind the radiator. And on some pictures they have the upper a arm in front of the shock and in others it is normal.. So I guess it is still a work in progress of what they're doing.

Look at the full drawing on each of the two patents and find the differences. Totally different design on the chassis, position of the fuel tank, and rear linkage.

Honda5
12-18-2011, 04:25 PM
They have dates on them from more then three years ago. Do you think they have scrapped the plans?

Black Sheep
12-18-2011, 05:45 PM
They are all either 6/7/11 or 8/30/11

The earlier dates are probably when they were applied for.

scotturban
12-18-2011, 08:07 PM
I dont see the pics??

Jason Hall
12-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Nice find BS!!! How In the world did you find that? You know I'm happy, with my love of aluminum LOL. Looks like new rear suspension linkage. I thought the rear shock mount was up there pretty high. Can't wait to see It In real life.

dstracing
12-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Banshee J-arms style!!

Rich250RRacer
12-19-2011, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Jason Hall
Nice find BS!!! How In the world did you find that? You know I'm happy, with my love of aluminum LOL. Looks like new rear suspension linkage. I thought the rear shock mount was up there pretty high. Can't wait to see It In real life.

Which one are you looking at? There's two different suspension set ups. As I said in a previous post, look at the full drawings from BOTH of the patents, two totally different designs on the frame, linkage, and tank position.

kono993
12-19-2011, 06:28 AM
saw this on the .org cant wait to see it!

Black Sheep
12-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Which one are you looking at? There's two different suspension set ups. As I said in a previous post, look at the full drawings from BOTH of the patents, two totally different designs on the frame, linkage, and tank position.

More then that, look at the engine, silencer, bodywork, etc.

Since they were both around the same time frame...my bet is one is a 450 and the other a 250. But, even if it is just two different versions of a 450 it is still not uncommon for Honda to patent two versions.