PDA

View Full Version : Im angry at eBay. What does everybody think?

A A R O N
12-14-2011, 04:24 PM
In one week i managed to rack up eBay fees of $155 and it's getting increasingly worse. I get so mad every time they take a huge cut of something i sell.

What's everybody's input on this:

A website that is for motorsports only that is basically a craigslist meets eBay. People can use it as a classifieds or as a store platform where they can sell things by accepting payment through paypal so it's secure. The focus is that it is much more simple than ebay...no bells and whistles...and a little more refined than craigslist...in that users can accept payment instantly.

What do you guys think? Do you think something like this has a place in motorsports? Do you have any problems with the idea?

I'm asking because it already exists. I've built it and launched it already. It just needs a lot of refinement before its really ready to be used. Im just trying to get some input on what you guys think it needs to be successful and really help people out.

Since atvriders is very clear about advertising, i'm not going to say what the site is...this purpose of this is not advertisement, just a little r&d if you will...

Plus, i've been here for years...haven't posted much lately, but been an active member for a while and am genuinely seeking a better way for the parts guys on here to do business better without losing so much cash.

fastrnrik
12-14-2011, 04:34 PM
I agree. Between the ebay and paypal fees, they rape the sellers

CJM
12-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Thats why I try and sell items here and such if I possibly can. I also try and let things be auctions. When you put them on a reserve or set price they take a huge amount usually.

I wish there was a site like ebay but less fees, the fees can get insane and there is basically nothing you can do about it except not use ebay. Sadly no other site has the exposure ebay has.

BoneStockHonda
12-14-2011, 04:50 PM
http://www.racingjunk.com/

Craigslist for gear heads

beastlywarrior
12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Problem is the money to keep it running and protection from people getting screwed

A A R O N
12-14-2011, 05:06 PM
fastrnrik- paypal would still apply, and i don't think i can escape that because it needs to stay secure...but no selling or listing fees.

CJM- exposure will be the biggest hurdle. you need a lot of buyers for sellers to be interested but you need a lot of sellers and product for buyers to be interested...it'll be a tough line to straddle in order to achieve a real following

bonestockhonda- racingjunk charges for some listings and for some reason doesn't attract a lot of quad/dirtbike traffic. honestly, quads and dirtbikes are my passion so i'd love to see a site that is the premier place for those folks to come together....i don't think there's anything that really offers for quads/bikes what racing junk does for hot rod/ street car stuff...

A A R O N
12-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
Problem is the money to keep it running and protection from people getting screwed

as long as it stays simple and i don't add any extravagant features, cost to keep running is very minimal. Protection is provided via paypal being the mode of payment. as with anything else on the internet...people just need to be aware of what appears too good to be true. i think it would be just as secure as forums and far more secure than craigslist.

HondaPohl
12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Thats the good thing about these forums. Im also on BansheeHQ and on that forum, good banshee parts go fast and someone is ususally selling something you need. Than your just paying paypal fees really. I try to stick to the forums. GOod luck with your site tho!

derekhonda
12-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Oh I think there is definately a market for it. Something like $.50 a transaction under $100 and $1 for $101-1000 and maybe like $5.00 for more than $1001. You get the drift, minimal charges, but with thousands of transactions taking place in a day, more than enough to pay the web hosting and a nice salary for you and whomever you would need to employ.

The problem is, ebay is so ingrained in peoples heads, you need to get a huge following or else the demand wont be there for the products, and thus they will have to have cheaper prices (supply and demand scale) and then it might slide so far that it is more beneficial to use ebay.

I'm not sure I explained that well.

Lets say someone uses the ebay store function and sells widgits for $100. They sell 10 a day. Ebay and paypal takes the first $15 bucks from them, so they only make $85. They cost $75 to make.
10 sold X $10 profit = $100 every day profit.

Then they come to your store. They put them on there for $100.00. Paypal and your fee's only equal $4, so now they net $21.00 every time they sell one. However, due to a lack of volume, the only sell 1 a day. So now, they went from making $100 dollars a day to $21 a day, who do you think is going to get their business?

Good luck, something is needed if nothing else to keep ebay in check.

blaster99
12-14-2011, 06:34 PM
I sell quite a bit on eBay. I would list everything I have on another website that wouldn't bend me over every month.

CJM
12-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Im with Derek on this. Issue still is exposure, people know ebay very well and know it has a reputation for good practices if your the buyer and somewhat for the seller.

In all honesty I think it would be super hard to get enough people into it, let alone the legalities of making sure no one gets screwed or such on transaction. PLUS you still have to use paypal or a similar service.

Ex: There used to be a service called gearpay, basically it was paypal and it did work ok. It came about b/c paypal does NOT like firearm and other related purchases and would be jerks and freeze your account and stuff if they found out what you bought/sold was FA/gear related. I never used gearpay, but today its no longer around due to lack of interest.

IDK. Could your idea work-sure it can. But overcoming paypal is a major hurdle. I know rocky mtn atv/mc has a used section where you can sell stuff, never used it-but its a similar concept.

SRH
12-14-2011, 07:09 PM
ebay can be a pain , but for sellers like myself who sell at higher volumes its great ebay/pay pal prob takes somehwere between 10-15% by the time its done...thats ok with me

, craigslist is a waste of time for anyone serious about there business...and honestly the exposure ebay has...i wouldnt waste my time anywhere else...buyers trust ebay...you can easily make a living out of selling on ebay if your smart

selling here and there, your going to hate seeing the fees coming out of your sale

pay pal are a bunch of crooks though, i swear there double charging me on my ups shipping...holding releasing...and there records are near impossible to follow they never show holds and releases which is very frustrating

A A R O N
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im with Derek on this. Issue still is exposure, people know ebay very well and know it has a reputation for good practices if your the buyer and somewhat for the seller.

In all honesty I think it would be super hard to get enough people into it, let alone the legalities of making sure no one gets screwed or such on transaction. PLUS you still have to use paypal or a similar service.

Ex: There used to be a service called gearpay, basically it was paypal and it did work ok. It came about b/c paypal does NOT like firearm and other related purchases and would be jerks and freeze your account and stuff if they found out what you bought/sold was FA/gear related. I never used gearpay, but today its no longer around due to lack of interest.

IDK. Could your idea work-sure it can. But overcoming paypal is a major hurdle. I know rocky mtn atv/mc has a used section where you can sell stuff, never used it-but its a similar concept.

I've figured from the very beginning that exposure is going to be the biggest issue.

Basically, the only way it would work is if i could somehow turn it into the forum equivalent of ebay. As somebody already mentioned, they prefer to use the forums for quicker and better deals. If it grew to a point that all of the internet trading guys accepted it as a universal thing though i think that could push it over the hump. You know, instead of checking exriders, central, the zone, .org, hq, etc...find it all in one place. Would it ever take on ebay? That's a pretty daunting task and im not sure it's possible anymore but if it could simplify things for people and save some others a few hundred in cash every year i think it would be a success.

DVXchic
12-16-2011, 12:09 PM
I also believe in having a good business name. Ebay is catchy and sticks in someones mind easily, same with the new sites like quibids. the names are quirky and grab attention. Also these companys grabbed the attention of TV and radio. I think your idea is great too. Just need to get peoples attention somehow and at least make them check it out once.
Just my 2cents