PDA

View Full Version : need help, 50cc wont run, supposed to be christmas present

jmcfee
12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Ok, I bought a Alpha Sport 50cc quad for my son for his Christmas. Its a 2001, but it was never ridden and sat in a garage for 10 years. I bought it with intentions of giving it to my son for christmas. I got it home, put a battery in it and actually got it started on fairly old gas. It didnt run right but that was to be expected. Pulled the carb, cleaned it, added fresh gas, and it ran much much better. I rode it around the house a few times and all seemed well. About a week later I decided to fire it up and let it run for a while. Started like normal then stalled and wouldnt restart.

Since then I have cleaned the carb a few times, checked it for spark, fuel, compression, etc

The thing will not stay running. If i disconnect the choke (so its always on) it will sorta run, not well enough to ride it though. With the choke connected it operates as it should and shuts off after a minutes or two, at which point the quad will die. The only way i can keep it running is by hand choking it. It wont run properly, but i can keep it spinning between playing with the throttle and hand choking. I can also keep it running if i spray fuel into the carb once it starts dying.

The carb is spotless, after it dies i will immediately check the fuel bowl and its full of fuel. Compression was 140psi. I have checked for spark immediately after it dies and it looks strong. There is no restriction of fuel from the tank to the bowl, and the tank vent is fine. The reeds are good.

For some reason it will not suck fuel without greatly restricting the air flow from the carb.

Is it possible i have a crank seal leaking? The seals look like they're tough to reach to spray with ether. I've never had a 2-stroke act like this from a bad seal before.

Im very experienced in all things small engine, but im at my wits end with this thing. christmas is in 12 days and im completely stuck.

chunky0071
12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
I would replace the crank seals if it sat that long they are for sure not soft and sealing well. Have you checked the reeds?

jmcfee
12-13-2011, 09:36 AM
yes, reeds are good.

Do you have to remove the motor and split the cases to replace the crank seals?

Team-Ty
12-13-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm in rochester NY if you close enough bring it over

jmcfee
12-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Im like 4 hours from rochester. Just outside of albany.

tyler70t
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
When you say cleaned the carb, did you actually remove the jets and ensure there is no blockage in the jets themselves? Also check the air box, you may have some infestation fron animals for sitting for 10 years..........................Jeff

jmcfee
12-13-2011, 11:05 AM
oh yea. Its clean. Wires and compressed air through everything.

Im experienced in all things small engines, thats why this thing has me so stumped.

The air box is clean, and its not even on at the moment. Runs the same with or without it, just easier to hand choke without it.

jmcfee
12-13-2011, 11:17 AM
i just ordered crank seals. less than 9 dollars for the pair with shipping.

Im not sure that thats the issue but parts are 3-4 days away so I'd rather have them and not need them.

quadrider79
12-13-2011, 12:11 PM
If it has the stock carb on it. Then I would get rid of it. I worked on a buddy of mines alpha sport and it did the exact same thing. Run alittle bit and shut off. I put a pe 20 on it and it ran great. The problem I was having was with the automatic choke. If you do go with the pe 20 you will have to get a different intake for it.

jmcfee
12-13-2011, 12:17 PM
yes its the stock carb. It has an actual mikuni on it and not a knock-off.

I really dont think its the electric choke causing the issue. I'd fill the enrichment circuit with JB weld if i thought that was causing the issue and just plug the intake to start it when cold. you can plug the intake tube with one finger.

quadrider79
12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Sounds like you got it all figured out then. Merry Christmas.

jay-r
12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Save yourself the headache and get a different carb. I had the same experience with a scrambler 50 electric choke. A 16mm sunworld off a drr will probably fit the intake boot.

Also, check the stator and make sure it is clean. They are not sealed.

jmcfee
12-14-2011, 06:06 AM
The crank seals weren't the problem.

It ended up being a bad ground connection on the CDI. Somehow this managed to disguise itself as a fuel problem, exactly how i dont know... but at least its fixed now...

So, it was just a stupid mistake and something that i didnt bother to double check.