PDA

View Full Version : Truck rain tires

Kickstarts-suck
12-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Yesterday I was driving to work around 6am and it was poring rain. There was a toyota MR2 in front of me in the fast lane. It hit a puddle or something and spun out slamming into the guard rail right in front of me. I had to lock up the brakes and swerve out the way. Came like 1 inch from hitting him.This was at 65 mph too. Scared the crap out of me.

I wasn't driving my truck I was driving an 03 tahoe with michelin LTX MS tires. But Now I'm wanting to get a better tire on my truck. I currently have Falken Ziex ST-01. What would be a good tire for the rain? My truck is a "performance" truck and has 275/60/17s so I'm kinda limited on tires also.. :ermm:

CJM
12-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Buddy of mine just picked these up for his nissan frontier. I was sckeptical that they were just a street tire but he says int he rain they rock and the light snow as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H%2FT-S+G051&partnum=76HR7GEOHTS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

XCRacer236
12-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Buddy of mine just picked these up for his nissan frontier. I was sckeptical that they were just a street tire but he says int he rain they rock and the light snow as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A%2FT-S&partnum=76SR7GEOATSOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Survey

I had the HT's on my truck when I bought it. I was driving home one night and it was raining. I went over a bridge and this was the result...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/kristingrl/truck%20wreck/100_3828.jpg

Swung around and slammed a guardrail just like that MR2. Folded the bumper under the bedside and caved the bedside in about 6 inches.

buck440
12-13-2011, 09:22 AM
it's usually a good idea to not drive fast in bad weather. that should help you more than tires.

CJM
12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Shame XCRacer.

IDK i never would run anything but an all terrain tire, even on a 2wd truck (only ever had one 2wd). Every car I had I shelled out the cash for the best all season tire you could buy at the time and was happy. I currently run dueler at revos on m toyota and my F250 has some HD offbrand AT that hasnt given me issues. My moms escape has highway coopers that are pretty aggressive too.

His issue is he needs some kinda performance/street tire and its a super odd size to find.

XCRacer236
12-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Shame XCRacer.

IDK i never would run anything but an all terrain tire, even on a 2wd truck (only ever had one 2wd). Every car I had I shelled out the cash for the best all season tire you could buy at the time and was happy. I currently run dueler at revos on m toyota and my F250 has some HD offbrand AT that hasnt given me issues. My moms escape has highway coopers that are pretty aggressive too.

His issue is he needs some kinda performance/street tire and its a super odd size to find.

I was devastated, but I was not going too fast and had my seatbelt on so I was perfectly fine.

After that I went and picked up a set of Nitto Terra Grappler's. Best tire I have ever drove on!

To the OP, why do you have to have the EXACT size the truck came with? 10mm wider or a size taller will be so minimal you won't be able to notice.

slightlybent47
12-13-2011, 09:52 AM
If you’re running lug tires you don’t have much choice but you can have street tires sipped.
Discount tire will do it for a fee and its well worth it.
The tires with the highest millage ratting will not be the best rain tires.
A tire with a soft compound will work best on wet roads but they won’t last as long.
Truck tires like lugged tires are designed for long life and heavy loads and don’t do as well in the rain.
The age of the tire will have a big effect on how well they stop. An old dry tire will not stop well at all.
I had some old tires that had never been used but they were new. The rubber was dry rotted and they were like driving on slicks.lol
The wider the tire the more it can hydroplane, narrow tires will grip better in the rain.

This applies to your atv tires also. If there old and dry they will not grip as well as new fresh rubber.

KXRida
12-13-2011, 01:08 PM
I ran these on my f150 with awesome luck.

http://discounttires.com/product_detail.php?c=OTlkODJjMmZlZjdkZjMyMWRlMWIwZ jJlNTNlMTZjMWE=&prodID=7177&t=GS&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic&zmam=80122732&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=7177&gclid=CMjns_vs_6wCFUTc4AodHUBp_w

400exrider707
12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Those General Grabber UHP are pretty good.

We run BFG T/A KDW 2's on my gf's escape, they handle rain really well. They're so well in the water that they actually even worked awesome in about 2" of slushy snow we got caught in before we could switch the tires off.

slightlybent47
12-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't need rain tires anymore, seems like it never rains here anymore.lol

hondaracer_34
12-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Try out Nitto Terra Grapplers..ive had awesome luck with them in mud/snow/rain.

KXRida
12-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer_34
Try out Nitto Terra Grapplers..ive had awesome luck with them in mud/snow/rain.

Glad you did, I thought mine sucked on my f350

MX MaNiAc 06
12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Its been raining here in central texas for about a week now!

Kickstarts-suck
12-16-2011, 03:57 AM
I think I'm going with Toyo Proxes.

Thanks everyone.
:)

KXRida
12-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
I think I'm going with Toyo Proxes.

Thanks everyone.
:)

I run them for track tires on my factory superduty wheels. Awesome traction at the track. Got caught in the rain with them once and was about scared half to death the roll into boost with them. Give the UHP's a look. I honestly loved those tires for street tires.