PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft installation

desratt
12-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Do you really need the crankshaft installation tool

mmsoup
12-12-2011, 08:48 PM
No, but the Tusk tool is cheap and makes the job extremely quick and easy
Regardless it is easiest to pull the crank through the CVT side first.

It would be easy to make your own if you have the tools and the skills, it's pretty straightforward

Logan #34's Dad
12-15-2011, 01:01 AM
It is really a simple job. I freeze the bearings and the crank. Warm the cases IF you want but room temp will work. Clean the cases very well then drop your frozen bearings into each side. Go find something to do for awhile while the bearings thaw and come up to room temp.
Take some Yamabond or Hondabond and apply a thin coat to both halves of the cases where they'll come together. Get your inside case bolts ready (I like putting a thin coat of Hondabond on the shafts of the bolts) and whatever tool your using to tighten the bolts that keep the cases together.
Grab your frozen crank shaft and drop it inside one of the bearing or half case. Preferably the long side while it's on it's side. You may need a elevate the case so the crank ends don't hit the floor. I used two 2x4's. Using a rubber mallet tap the other end to push the crank into the bearing. Quickly put the other half on or through the bearing..... take a rubber mallet and tap down the case toward the other. I've used a 1x1 piece of wood and put one end near the center and worked around the crank shaft near the seal area while hitting the other end of the 1x1 with a hammer. Once you've got them close enough that your bolts will begin to thread, start quickly tighening them one at a time in a cross pattern so the cases draw towards each other evenly. NOTE: make sure the rod is NOT coming through the intake area... Been there :ermm: Tighten the bolts equally (don't know the desired torque - I just didi it by feel).
After everything is together, take your rubber mallet and smack both ends of the crank a couple times (not the rod).
Then I put Hondabond on the outside sealing area of the seals and a lil 2 stroke oil on the inside of the seal that touches the crank. Manually push each seal on as far as you can then use a small hammer and a scrap of wood to tap the seals home working in a circle around each seal.
That should about do it.............hope that helps.

desratt
12-15-2011, 08:16 AM
I figured I could do it similar to that. but I had 40$ in rocky mountain bucks from the worcs series laying around so I just bought the tool.. should be here today.. I did the bearings already. and the seals . shouldn't be a big deal cause I did the seals first should it?

raidernut
12-15-2011, 02:30 PM
damn rocky, thanks i thought i was the only one that did the rod throught the intake trick. I also once did the stator side on the clutch side trick as well, but you havent done that one.

desratt
12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
thanks for the heads up on the mistakes..yea I got over 1000$ from rocky mountain in gift cards this year...