PDA

View Full Version : Motor noise

killed300ex
02-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Well i was out riding today in the snow and all of a sudden the motor started making a high pitched grinding noise. I think it was coming from the bottom end cause it was only when the wheeles were turning it was doing this but then i jacked up axel and started the motot and when i reved up the engine with the clutched engaged the whole thng would buck but wouldnt make the awfull grinding niose as bad.so my question is what do you think is wrong. Should i start out by changing my oil and hoping that solves it. OR just pull the motor and rip it apart :mad: which i really dont wnat to do casue i dont want to screw it up and dont have the money to do. So what you think ould be wrong. Also it mnake the noise in all the gears not just 1 gear. Any ideas
killed

honda250xrider
02-27-2003, 11:31 PM
rip it apart!!!!

dj416
02-27-2003, 11:37 PM
r u sure its the engine, cause that sounds alot like the sound when my rear axle berings came apart. drain the oil and see if there is any metal in it. if not it may be your clutch or something

killed300ex
02-27-2003, 11:56 PM
I thought it might hae been the axel bearings as well but it dindt have much play at all so i dont thin thats it but ill check that tom when i go look at the wheeler
killed
any more ideas

twisted threads
02-28-2003, 10:09 AM
My Ex's motor started making noise once. My woman was riding it and she said someing was wrong and I thought she didnt know what she was talking about and one hour later my counter shaft bering when out, sending all the bearing threw the trany.:eek: :confused2 I had to get every thing in the trany replaced and when I had it apart I got the 440 kit and put it in. So what Im tring to say is dont be like me and just ignore it because it might cost you more than now. I would change the oil and see if there is metal in there. You can also move you counter shaft around and see if the bearing are good. Im sure its not trany if it is sometimes you can fill it when you shift. Also you should beable to hear wear the noise is coming from to help you narrow it down for you.
Just my $.02 Hope its nothing bad!