PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a salt water fish tank?

SpasticR450
12-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Just got a huge 90 gal fish tank. I want salt water fish and shrimp and crabs and a eal but dont know how to make a tank a salt water tank.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
12-11-2011, 03:17 AM
There's this sweet website called "Google", you can find anything on there!

OldGuyonaQuad
12-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
There's this sweet website called "Google", you can find anything on there!

I've heard of this google thing, is it hard? Is it expensive? Will I become addicted?

Salt water fish are expensive and the tank requires a lot of maintenance but the trade off is an amazing and exotic selection to fill your tank with.

01boneless
12-11-2011, 08:42 AM
easy phhhh put in some cold water and dump some table salt in there no need for pumps or anything.

Tommy Warren
12-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
easy phhhh put in some cold water and dump some table salt in there no need for pumps or anything.

right, and you have to salt down the fish before putting them in.

m0t0xk1d
12-11-2011, 03:09 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+make+a+fish+tank+a+salt+water+fish+tank

Thunderdually
12-12-2011, 05:52 AM
First thing you need is patience and a lot of it when starting out. It takes time to build a biological filter. You need to add your fish slowly.

Learn which fish and other sea life can live together. Eels will eat small fish and shrimp. Also they can and will knock over any rocks or any other objects you may have in your aquarium as they are will burrow under things to hide. Depending on what filter system you decide on such as a sand bed filter you will not want to have eels.

If you want to have a fish only tank (no corals) you can get by with a good wet dry filter set up. I would recommend a good protein skimmer to go with it.
Buy good quality sea salt at your aquarium store. Ask the store personal where you buy your fish what salinity(amount of salt in the water) they they keep their fish in and you should be safe to run your salinity the same.

Remember you have to types of filters in your aquarium.

Biological... Breaks down ammonia and fish waste to a safer level of bacteria that can be controlled with water changes.
Mechanical... removes larger debris from the water (wet dry filter with Bio Balls will help establish a Biological filter.

Well that is the basics. Read up on it. ask questions and remember Add fish slowly get a good kit to check your salinity, PH, Nitrites and Nitrates.

There is more to it but I don’t want to over load you with information. Once you have your aquarium established it’s easy. Good luck.

Forgot to add... You will need to have a aquarium heater where you live. Here in Florida we have to use chillers to keep the water cool enough LOL