PDA

View Full Version : is my motor blown?

buck440
12-10-2011, 12:17 AM
few days ago i was going to work and i got up to like 60 mph and the motor studdering and the low oil light was on for a few seconds so i pulled over for a few minutes with the car off. i fugured the oil was low and the high rpm's pulled what oil was in the motor in the system and maby was "dry" for about 10 secounds untill i pulled over.

so i drove like a mile back home at 30mph so it wouldn't pickup a ton of oil from the pan and parked it. about .25 in of the dip stick had oil on it and the lowest x mark was about an inch above the current oil level. the oil was black and smelled burnt. btw the car is 20,000 past it's last oil change:blah:

so i put 2 quarts of oil in it and it showed it was full and i took it out and when it got to around 3k rpm at 35mph the motor would studder like it was out of gas. i then started it in the driveway and it ran rough as hell like it was out of gas almost.

i personally think the motor is done for but just wanted your opinions.

btw yah i know i deserved it for not changing the oil lol.

Tommy Warren
12-10-2011, 07:55 AM
in my experiences when the low oil light comes on its already too late.... do you have a compression tester? do a wet and dry compression test

CJM
12-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
in my experiences when the low oil light comes on its already too late.... do you have a compression tester? do a wet and dry compression test

x2 but its probably already to late.

Your motor oil probably broke down over time and turned into sludge and or burned up. Why on earth did you wait 20k to change the oil?

BlaineKaiser450
12-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Sounds like it's done to me. What kind of car was it?

HondaRacing83
12-10-2011, 08:48 PM
2011 lambo^

buck440
12-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
2011 lambo^

almost young grasshopper. it's a 1995 monte carlo 3.1 6cyl:) it's just the fuel efficant work car. compression test is a good idea, will do that.

i think it's too late anyhow. i changed the oil anf filter and now it shakes like king kong is trying to bust out the motor. oh well.

OldGuyonaQuad
12-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Don't feel too bad, I use the synthetic oil becasue I let my changes go longer then I should (never 20k though)and I had a similar experience last week with a different result (lucky for me)

So my truck is making noises like a valve tap, my brother insists it's an exhaust leak at the manifold, then a couple of weeks later it starts making a loud rapping sound and he says that's the idler bearing. So I'm driving home from work and when I hit the gas the "check gauge" light comes on and all gauges would drop to zero or cold or w/e is on the left hand side of the gauge and the engine would cut out for a second. So I call my brother and tell him that there is a short in my wiring harness as this check gauges light keeps coming on and the truck would buck (just as described above).

So I take it to him for a test drive and he doesn't even get to the end of the block and he says "you don't have any f in oil pressure you moron". So why doesn't the check oil light come on I asked? He says the check gauge is telling me to check the oil and everything else and as CJM stated if the check oil light comes on chancs are the damage is done. Anyway five quarts later the truck is running fine. I feel really stupid and lucky at the same time.

buck440
12-11-2011, 09:20 AM
check engine light has been on in my car for 3? years lol. heck my old 12v cummins it's been on for 15 years. it just figured it's normal with older vehicles.

Originally posted by CJM
...Why on earth did you wait 20k to change the oil?

because i like to party:chinese:

madsmokey12
12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by buck440
check engine light has been on in my car for 3? years lol. heck my old 12v cummins it's been on for 15 years. it just figured it's normal with older vehicles.

because i like to party:chinese:

Lmao!!

CJM
12-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Hope you got some cashor a way to get another car.

Tom...man thats not a good idea. Dodges do that all gauges go crazy and it wants to shut down, really funny imho cause no other make does it really like that.

While I dont change my oil every 3k, I try for 5-7k. Trick is tho the quality oil, you use cheap crap it wears out faster. I swear by mobil clean 5000 (think its jsut 5000 or something whatever name now). Friend of mine owns an AAA towing biz and its all he will use, the trucks get run day in and out VERY hard and every one of them (well save for the dodges which FELL apart sadly) have over 200k on them, some have 300k or better. Change the oil maybe every 10-15k, but the oil holds up and theres never an issue.

Anyways goodluck Buck..find something better or drop an engine into that thing.

buck440
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
i got 5 more months untill i'm the military's problem for a few years so that car isn't no skin off my dick. i reved it till she really blew up this morning so f-it. our neighbors hate us with all the gun shooting, midnight dirtbike reving, loud late parties and now blowing a car up in the morning lol. yah, i'm that guy:)

CJM
12-12-2011, 08:48 PM
In that case then about all you coulda got for it was maybe a cool thousand if you were lucky-if it wasnt blown.

madsmokey12
12-12-2011, 09:07 PM
our neighbors hate us with all the gun shooting, midnight dirtbike reving, loud late parties and now blowing a car up in the morning lol. yah, i'm that guy:)

And this is why i own a shotgun :huh

Haha Glad your not my Neighbor

Tommy Warren
12-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by madsmokey12
And this is why i own a shotgun :huh

Haha Glad your not my Neighbor
i wish he was my neighbor...then the cops wouldn't be here so much...I know them all by name

buck440
12-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
i wish he was my neighbor...then the cops wouldn't be here so much...I know them all by name

i wish you were my neighbor too. we can piss the neighbors off at 2 in the morning being drunk flying up and down the road with the exhaust off the crf450!!!

buck440
12-13-2011, 08:13 AM
i got 5 more months untill i'm the military's problem for a few years so that car isn't no skin off my dick. i reved it till she really blew up this morning so f-it. our neighbors hate us with all the gun shooting, midnight dirtbike reving, loud late parties and now blowing a car up in the morning lol. yah, i'm that guy:)

junkyard said they would pick it up from me, part it out and smash it and give me $800. i paid $600 for it 4 years ago:)

CJM
12-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Thats damn good money, most of the time round here they give you 300-500

buck440
12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
they mainly wanted the transmission that was built by bowler transmission. it shifted funny but they knew that. it was $3000 to rebuild lol.

mx Eli
12-13-2011, 07:13 PM

I like yo style! midnight burn outs with a strait pipe to stacked cummins gets the nabors going:D

Tommy Warren
12-13-2011, 07:22 PM
i wish you were my neighbor too. we can piss the neighbors off at 2 in the morning being drunk flying up and down the road with the exhaust off the crf450!!!

I've got a crf250r it should be loud enough:devil:

buck440
12-14-2011, 06:39 AM
a few sundays ago i got a deer and i hung it from one of the foot steps on a telephone pole to gut it and had the trash can underneath it to catch the guts. right as the neighbors got from church their family see's me covered in blood and then they see pulling guts out and damn was it a mess.

i think they were mad because i used the telephone pole closest to their house:devious:

CJM
12-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Damn...your my kinda neighbor lol. I dont think you made your neighbors happy tho lol...