PDA

View Full Version : Best handlebars?

wolfe 21
12-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Just like the title says, was wondering what everyone is running for bars on their ex's. I bent my stockers up and replaced them with a set of used renthals that are OK, but I feel like upgrading again. I'd like to keep my handguards (7/8"). Stock length stem.
Mainly trail riding, mostly sit down, some standing. I'm 6'2".
If I understand correctly, after a little internet exploration, don't the fat bars have a standard 7/8" grip area (have to for throttle, clutch & brake, no??) and a thicker mounting area in the center. If so, any 1 1/8" bars should allow me to run my current guards, and the grips I want to.
Any experience any of these
tusk (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?org.apache.struts.taglib.html.TOK EN=5c9bcdd49958e6b15f3179d5407f3821&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&navType=type&webTypeId=70&prodFamilyId=19027&listingId=&sizeAttr=Select&colorAttr=173)
trail tech (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=70&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=6750)
easton (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=closeout&webTypeId=70&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=25903)
Guess I need recommendations for clamps too. $100 seems kinda steep to me.
james

Stickman400
12-09-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm never buying anything other than TAG 1 1/8" bars. But if you want strength, I don't know of any 7/8" bars that are gunna be as good as a 1 1/8". Maybe somebody else on here knows which 7/8" bars are stronger than others. I used to have a set of renthals, then I rolled my quad on asphalt and bent the crap outta them, replaced them with TAG 1 1/8" and never had a problem since.

ish416
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm a fan of the fat bars. They are all basically the same.

Pro-taper/Easton, Renthal, Tag are the brands that I have ran. All are strong enough to take out your steering stem before they even think about bending. Of course it completely depends on your crash but 4/5 times your bars will be straight and your stem will be tweaked.

Just go with whichever you want but you will have to get either a 7/8 to 1 1/8 adapter, new clamps, or what I suggest for us taller people, a +2 steering stem with 1 1/8 clamps.

I also recommend ODI lock on grips.

HondaRacing83
12-09-2011, 01:53 PM
i hear the trailtech and easton are real good. i run protaper se's on my 400. i havnt had a bad roll so they havnt bent

Kawie450r
12-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Renthal Fat Bar...rolled several times and they are still straight.

05DodgeDakota
12-09-2011, 01:58 PM
fat bars are only fat in the center where they mount, should affect any thing other than your clamps. I like Flex bars, but they are $$$

buck440
12-09-2011, 02:56 PM
i hear some people like to run cheaper bars so when it rolls over it will just bend the bar and save the steering stem. i used a renthal fatbar and survived many rollover's but ruined a few steering stems. bars are cheaper than steering stems lol...if it's aftermarket.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
12-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Renthal are by far my favorite, I came up short on a jump and rolled the quad,i had my Renthal bars on and I bent the stock stem, got a +1 lsr stem now but the bars hold up really good im gonna get a fatbar when I get the money tho, so I say get Renthal

wolfe 21
12-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I planned to run ODI grips on whatever bars I get. Like the no glue/wire aspects and the reusability is nice too. I am still just awestruck by the price of some of the clamps tho. One set was $230.:eek2: I found a reasonable protaper kit (assuming it will work with all 1 1/8" bars) but do you guys run the one that uses the stock 7/8" bottom clamp or the rubber mount one that seems to replace the stock clamps and bolts thru the stem?

Can anybody make a recommendation for what height to get. The renthals I have are probably a little low honestly, so i was thinking about an ATV Mid bend on a stock stem. Figured high would be really tall for the stand up riders and I don't do that much.

honda400ex2003
12-09-2011, 04:36 PM
tags for me and all of my machines in the future.

steve

Stickman400
12-09-2011, 05:21 PM
You have to get the clamps that accept 1 1/8" to replace your current ones. You can't get the rubber anti-vibe mounts for your stock stem, those are designed for aftermarket stems.

You need something like this: http://www.motosport.com/atv/TAG-UNIVERSAL-OVERSIZED-BAR-MOUNTS
Or this: http://www.motosport.com/atv/MOOSE-UNIVERSAL-OVERSIZED-BAR-MOUNTS
And then whatever 1 1/8" bars you want.

Thumpin440ex
12-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I had renthal, pro tapers, my latest set of TAG T2's have been the best imo.. Infact I rolled my bike last saterday, they are as strait as the day I put them on.. Will prob continue to use them from now on.. very nice product..

John

CJM
12-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Took some wicked falls over the years, still really like my pro-taper seven eights.

Thumpin440ex
12-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Took some wicked falls over the years, still really like my pro-taper seven eights.

Yah app the bars are stronger then your stem :P hahahaah

John

wolfe 21
12-09-2011, 06:54 PM
don't think the ones i was talking about are anit vibe, but not sure. they look like the same as are on my stock stem now, just maybe with longer bolts?
clamps (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Taper-ProTaper-Rubber-Mount-Kit-Bar-Clamps-1-1-8-NEW-/220905275514?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item336efb007a)
Anyway, I'm thinking a set of mid rise bars (b/n 3.75 to 4.25 depending on manufacturer) and the universal bar mounts that add another .5 to .75 inch to the mounts and these fat bars ought to be about right? Does anybody run w/o the center bar pad? I don't have one now, but i have a crossbar on my renthals so ?

CJM
12-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Yah app the bars are stronger then your stem :P hahahaah

John

4th stems the charm. Stupid things bend anytime you flop sideways hard enough and it bends the top of the stem. Ive been rocking a bent stem for I think a year now lol.

:blah:

wolfe 21
12-09-2011, 09:19 PM
yeah, I gotta change mine out when I get new bars. Been bent for atleast 2 years.

So what height you guys running on ur bars? I just aint sure what to buy and be comfortable with. Too much $ for trial and error.

James.

Stickman400
12-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Those ones you listed are for a bike, and they are designed to be bolted to triple trees, not a steering stem. You have little circular dimples sticking out around the bottom of your clamps that locate the clamps on the stem. If you don't have them they will move around when you are riding. About the height, I run a +2 stem with CR Double High Bend bars, so mine sit up pretty high, but I do freestyle and need my bars up away from my tank, but they are still pretty comfortable when cruising trails.

buck440
12-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by wolfe 21
don't think the ones i was talking about are anit vibe, but not sure. they look like the same as are on my stock stem now, just maybe with longer bolts?
clamps (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Taper-ProTaper-Rubber-Mount-Kit-Bar-Clamps-1-1-8-NEW-/220905275514?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item336efb007a)
Anyway, I'm thinking a set of mid rise bars (b/n 3.75 to 4.25 depending on manufacturer) and the universal bar mounts that add another .5 to .75 inch to the mounts and these fat bars ought to be about right? Does anybody run w/o the center bar pad? I don't have one now, but i have a crossbar on my renthals so ?

on any bars that didn't have that horizontal bar with the round bar pad i never had that square bar pad for astetic reasons. i prefered to run it without the pad because of looks.

finsteratv
12-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Pro-taper or Renthal.

wolfe 21
12-09-2011, 11:33 PM
ok, i guess i'll be looking for a set of the universal clamps that reuse the bottom stock clamp i have. Easy enough and gives me a little extra height.

Gonna have to measure the bars in the am and figure what will work the best for me. Thanks for all the info guys.

James.

duneslider
12-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I have the tusk chub bars, seem nice. I think I have the quad bend and the tusk bar adapters.

wolfe 21
12-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Anybody here have any experience with Alba Racing products. Found a set of clamps that are pretty reasonable priced, just don't know about quality. Found pro-tapers fairly reasonably priced too.

James.

powerbomb400
12-10-2011, 04:43 PM
I use the Modquad Fat bar clamps. They a have a place for the key,neutral light and reverse light. I use the Pro-taper mid fat bar handlebars on my quad.

400exrip
12-11-2011, 02:56 PM
TAG or either Renthal fat bars with a anti vibe sterring stem is the most comfortable set up to me.

250x_kyle
12-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by wolfe 21
ok, i guess i'll be looking for a set of the universal clamps that reuse the bottom stock clamp i have. Easy enough and gives me a little extra height.

Gonna have to measure the bars in the am and figure what will work the best for me. Thanks for all the info guys.

James.

i beleive i have a set of those sitting in my tool box i have no use for i would sale for a reasonable price.

redhors88
12-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Anyone tried Precision's S/V clamps? They said it's better than an antivibe stem. Anyway I have Pro tapers, CR High Bend. Again like other said, bent my stem before the bars.

CJM
12-12-2011, 07:30 AM
I been wanting to try those anti vibe clamps but they are $$$.

My EX vibes like no other lol.

01boneless
12-12-2011, 07:51 AM
pro taper se high bends for me love tham since im 6 ft

chronicsmoke
12-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by redhors88
Anyone tried Precision's S/V clamps? They said it's better than an antivibe stem. Anyway I have Pro tapers, CR High Bend. Again like other said, bent my stem before the bars.

Im saving up for the clamps. I don't think I'd like the Fasst bars because of the individual pivot points.

I'm getting a Houser anti-vibe stem with the Precision clamps eventually. Probably buy them one at a time though.

CJM
12-12-2011, 09:06 AM
buddy of mine has the flex bars, I tried it and just cant get used to it. The good thing about them tho is if you case ajump or something and come down hard they absorb some of the impact.

01boneless
12-12-2011, 01:37 PM
i canot stand flex bars just annoys the crap outa me , i rode a quad with them also

dxcody
12-12-2011, 02:06 PM
The best thing about flexx bars is when you flip you dont bend your bars HAHA!

But i love my pro taper contours, my friends say im weird but i like my quad to set high, but my bars to set low.

It gives me a better feel of control to everything. And the mx pro's will tell you, you want to keep your arms up.

My buddy runs the precision clamps and loves them, i rode his quad, and i cant tell a difference..

Thats just me though. Alot of guys on here will tell you they love them im sure.

Stickman400
12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Im saving up for the clamps. I don't think I'd like the Fasst bars because of the individual pivot points.

I'm getting a Houser anti-vibe stem with the Precision clamps eventually. Probably buy them one at a time though. I've got the Houser with anti-vibe clamps. They deff. made a noticeable difference, but there is still a little vibration in my bars at the higher rpms, but I don't think you can ever get it all gone. I'll prolly get those clamp in the future sometime too, give 'em a test.

jersey400
12-12-2011, 06:59 PM
I have Pro Taper Contours and they're definitely stout! My quad rolled off a trailer years ago, and the bars were fine.

wolfe 21
12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
hey, found a set of clamps that seem reasonable. Made by TAG Metals, look to replace stock clamps and say they are for 400ex and are NOT rubber mounted. Just wanted to check with the guys that know more about it than me.
clamps (http://www.ebay.com/itm/T2-Clamp-Kit-Handlebars-Honda-TRX450R-TRX400EX-04-05-06-07-08-09-450R-400EX-Grip-/400241445860?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d303fcbe4)

James

CJM
12-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Looks like they should work wolfe. They appear to bolt right thru the stock mounts-I hope it has a small rise of about 1/8" tho since the steering stem tube comes up a bit past the bar mounts.

Worth a shot, can always return them.

wolfe 21
12-15-2011, 05:34 AM
yeah, it just seems like it might be a little sturdier than using the conversion clamps that bolt into the stock bottom clamps. Don't know, I'll have to see what I decide to do when the $ is there. Holidays kinda tapped me for now.

James.

cheater13
12-15-2011, 06:41 AM
I think someone should make a poll of the handlebar question. I need a new pair of handlebars and i would go with either Pro taper, renthal, or tag with what you guys are saying.

I rather bend my bars a little bit than bend my steering stem. You can always bend your bars back to where they were, or close to where they were.

CJM
12-15-2011, 08:45 AM
No matter what you do, any aftermarket bar-heck even the stock bars are stronger than the steering stem.

wolfe 21
12-15-2011, 10:01 PM
yeah, rolled mine with stock bars. Bars were bent down over the side of the tank, looked almost like I had crotch rocket style clip-ons and it still bent the stem enuff to notice it. Got a new one, just haven't torn it down to replace it yet. These stems bend way too easy to suit me, but I'm sure honda had a reason to design things the way they did.

James.

Rohr397
12-16-2011, 01:42 AM
Well idk about strength but I run the Pro Taper SE's with the crossbar removed. I would guess that they're not very strong but I would rather replace them for $60 at the dealership then go through the hassle of a new steering stem. And if you're ever out riding somewhere, say a dunes trip, every quad dealership is gonna have a set of bars so it's nice to know you can bend them and still finish up the trip. I also like them that way for the rigidity. If I run this setup I don't get even a slight amount of arm pump. Crossbar attached I rarely get it. When I tried to switch to Renthal's I got horrible arm pump every ride. That's just my two cents. Also, idk where your handguards mount up but almost every 1 1/8 bar out there slims to 7/8 for all of the controls. That being said the Tag Alius bars are good looking bars. Fat Bars are good too, and Pro Taper's got some pretty cool MM bars available in their fat bar lineup. Just make sure to test out some different bar bends. For you're height I'd look at the ATV bends, the dirtbike bends are pretty low.

Rohr397
12-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Honestly though the thing about bars is that it's so much of a personal preference. Once you know the basics it's a matter of discovering what works best for you.

jersey400
12-16-2011, 07:54 PM
I agree...the bend and height are most important!

Drfat400ex
12-16-2011, 08:58 PM
If you wanna be a bit of a cheap a** but still have the comfort of higher bars, then go out and buy like 4 or 5 pairs of Moose Racing or MSR bars. They're only about $20 a pair, they're strong enough they wont bend for a little accident but wont bend your stem on a hard one, and if you have a couple sets as soon as one gets bent pop on another one and you're ready to go.