View Full Version : what do you people wear for winter riding? ex, to stay warm and dry?

womerk28
12-09-2011, 08:54 AM
I always wll go and rip around for a couple minutes in the snow but never to long cause i don't have the right equitment to wear. What would you guys recommend?

250x_kyle
12-09-2011, 09:05 AM
if you dont have snowmobile gear layer up good and depending on temps outside i sometimes use hot hands foot warmers and hand warmers in my gloves.

BlasterEaten250
12-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Head: Really the only thing that will actually keep you super warm is a snowmobile helmet. Even with a ski mask and goggles air will still hit you with an open face helmet. For my neck I put a winter head band around it to keep air from hitting my throat and neck.

Body: Just wear a bunch of layers. I usually wear a long sleeve shirt or underarmour, with a short sleeve shirt over that, and then my winter coat. If it is REALLY cold I will also wear a sweatshirt between the shirt and my coat. Also, I like to tuck my shirts into my pants to keep air from being scooped up underneath the back of my coat and hitting bare skin.

Legs: I usually just wear long underwear, jeans, and good snow pants.

Feet: I wear a thin pair of full length hiking socks, similar to mx socks, with a pair of wool socks over them. Then of course a good pair of winter boots.

Hands: Good gloves that can overlap your coat around the wrists. I usually end up bringing two pair incase the first pair gets wet.

You'll look like a marshmellow, but you'll be warm :D

beastlywarrior
12-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Coveralls or snow pants boots winter coat if needed some sort of scarf for the neck winter glover and that new rz mask looks good

quad2xtreme
12-09-2011, 09:43 AM
The thin membrane style heated handgrips really help. My wife and I go riding in the WV and Kentucky mountains for 4-6 hours at a time. Getting cold is not an option.

We wear thermal underwear as mentioned and layers. The final layer is Rocky Mountain Arc pants and jacket. These completely stop the wind and are water resistant. Moose makes good stuff too but more expensive. You need gloves that are designed to stop the wind but not too thick that you can't feel the heat grips.

Sock liners plus a thick pair of riding socks is all for the feet. If the rest of the body is warm, the feet will stay warm too. Do not pack your feet into your boots using 2-3 pairs of socks.

Wet feet is the biggest issue. If it is cold enough then all the water is frozen which is a good thing.

We both wear our regular helmets. I will wear that fuzzy turtle neckband if it is really cold out and pull it up over my chin. My wife wears one of those full head covers before putting her helmet on.

quad2xtreme
12-09-2011, 09:45 AM
BTW, waterproof socks = waste of money if you happen to search for these and think they are the answer.

Drfat400ex
12-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Just got back in from a ride in the snow, invest in some heated grips is the first thing if you're gonna be out alot, warm mits, coveralls, ski-mask, neck warmer, thick coat, and if you have boots that arn't huge like sleddin boots but warm still go for them.

CJM
12-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Wool socks, work boots (shifting with snow boots is impossible), thermal underwear, thermal lined sweatshirt, lined mechanics jacket, thicker warmer gloves, balaclava under helmet.

Or if its really cold I wear a jumpsuit.

Not much is water proof so dont even try and bother with that unless you want to sweat horribly-rainsuits are waterproof but dont breath at all=massive sweat!

buck440
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
i wear thick whool socks for the feet. for a base layer don't wear cotton long john's, they'll make you sweat and keep the sweat in and not dry and you'll freeze. a fleece face cover is a must and to make a better fit remove your helmet liner. i then wear carhartt bibbs and a carhartt jacket with insulated gloves...not the cheap work gloves but real thick gloves.

honestly if you have carhartt bibbs and a carhartt jacket you could be naked underneath and be warm lol but that setup would cost around $160 for them 2 things.

i would stay away from hand/foot warmers because they always get too hot and make you sweat and freeze more. same with electric socks/jackets/pants. i used them for hunting and always caused me to sweat and that is not good.

Tommy Warren
12-09-2011, 05:35 PM
if you have enough layers on that it is almost impossible to move than you will stay warm....but the fun factor goes out the window... I have insulated carhartt coveralls and no-name insulated coveralls underneath

Pipeless416
12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
i just wear a borat mankini :chinese:

buck440
12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
very nice

finsteratv
12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by buck440
very nice hahah VERY NICE

tbrackman84
12-09-2011, 07:12 PM
best things are underarmor facemasks for under your helmet, they REALLY help, any decent thick gloves(although it makes it hard to work the clutch and throttle sometimes), layers top and bottom, although i just wear flannel lined work pants and they are SO warm. The main thing is to keep your hands and feet warm, my feet are always the problem, I wear SmartWool socks, they are the best i've ever had for cold riding and hunting - best cold weather investment you can make... http://www.smartwool.com/ you can wear neoprene liners under them too to help with sweat and moisture.

I also do not like to wear snow or ski pants or coveralls because when snow gets between you and the seat it becomes a slip and slide, even with a gripper seat cover.

CJM
12-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I LOVE smartwool socks, they are the best socks.

OldGuyonaQuad
12-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Under armour turtle neck with work pants and insulated coveralls. I picked up a real nice pair of leather hunting gloves and bogs boots at Cabellas that keeps me warm and dry.

Tommy Warren
12-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Under armour turtle neck with work pants and insulated coveralls. I picked up a real nice pair of leather hunting gloves and bogs boots at Cabellas that keeps me warm and dry.

I have one of those skull masks that the motorcycle guys wear but it fogs up my goggles pretty quick

buck440
12-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I have one of those skull masks that the motorcycle guys wear but it fogs up my goggles pretty quick

the trick is to go to a shop that sells scott goggles for $20.o0 and cut out the foam around the nose so air can go in and unfog them when ridding. any goggles i get i always cut the foam about an inch from the center of the goggles to help ventalate and keep from fogging up. makes a better fit and keeps them from fogging up. it's a wonder they don't do it from production.

tbrackman84
12-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I LOVE smartwool socks, they are the best socks.

worlds greatest socks, i have a sweet heavy pair that go about up to my knee and are really thick, perfect for cold weather riding