PDA

View Full Version : Shock Spring Removal

Reece616
12-09-2011, 01:03 AM
This winter im planning on getting a new color scheme going on my 400ex.
I want to change the color of the springs.
Anyone ever taken the springs off a stock 400ex rear shock and front 450r shocks?
Any tips or how to?
Thanks

djwilliams0822
12-09-2011, 07:22 AM
I think you will have to put them on a spring machine not sure what it is called it compresses the spring so it can be taken off and if you do take it off without holding the spring back I think it will just fly off because the spring is compressed when it is put on

quad2xtreme
12-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by djwilliams0822
I think you will have to put them on a spring machine not sure what it is called it compresses the spring so it can be taken off and if you do take it off without holding the spring back I think it will just fly off because the spring is compressed when it is put on

I've taken the springs off the front by hand...well, with my wife's help. Once person can compress the spring while the other pulls the inserts out.

dxcody
12-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Its kinda dangerous, but i have takin mine off many times.

I put it in a vise and use a rachet strap.

Reece616
12-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Alright, as long as its possible and won't damage it.
thanks for the info guys.

maddmaxxx
12-10-2011, 02:39 AM
-ive got a shock dis~assembly tool...its taken skin off my thumb to the bone lol lol DAM DANGEROUS, it iz

-an idea is...on harleys we use two clutch plates [one plate on ea. end] and 3 all thread [threaded rod]...works like a champ and safe too

-id bet any kuul bike shop [like me lol lol], would help you out for free

-support your local indy shop...before there gone

-when i say independant shop, i mean 'brick and mortar' shop

-they are happy to help and in return maybe make a small sale [like oil or tire instalation/brakes etc etc]

-it really helps to keep my guys employed in this economy

-let us know what u come up with guy

dxcody
12-10-2011, 02:56 AM
i took my springs off and painted them, and put them back on with out even taking any paint off.

Yea if you have a shop around let them do it, its a PITA lol

If you do it yourself, just remember to put the springs back on right.

The bigger end of the spring goes up.

12-10-2011, 08:52 AM
good to know that i must say it is nice share