PDA

View Full Version : Sinthered Metal vs Carbon brake pads

djwilliams0822
12-08-2011, 03:56 PM
which is better? I've heard that sintered metal last longer but what are the difference besides what they are made of?

CJM
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Honestly I have only run EBC severe duty and always been impressed. I changed all 3 sets 3 years ago and have yet to replace any-but I dont use the brakes a ton I use the engine to brake the machine more. When I was checking into buying new ones at the time, I found that the severe duty EBC was designed as a super long lasting pad that works well on atvs and is made for mud/dirt/water conditions.

Still, I never had an issue. They are sposed to do very well in mud/water and all conditions. Considering I ride in a mix of sand, mud, dirt and rocks-they have held up great!

Stickman400
12-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Carbon are junk. I ride in sand/water/mud and I put a pair of carbons on the back of my quad and they were down to the backing in a week, and that wasn't from mud or water, just sand. Either buy sintered metal or severe duty. NEVER buy carbon, unless you don't ride on anything other than pavement. I've used the EBC severe duty and Streamline sintered metal and both are great.

djwilliams0822
12-08-2011, 04:16 PM
ok yea I was thinking the carbon brakes were junk anyway

jkosakowski
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
The ebc severe duty are the best i Run them on mine and they hold up good in races that are mudfests.

05DodgeDakota
12-08-2011, 05:47 PM
EBC Severe Duty on the front for me as well. Got them for the longevity but the still lock up the front wheels no problem. They do tend to run a little thick though, gotta break them in real good. Still haven;t replaced the rear, but I barely use it, I use the fronts and engine braking alot.

HondaRacing83
12-08-2011, 06:43 PM
at my dads old job he made me some pads outta bronze or brass or something. best things ever, itll take awhile before they wear