PDA

View Full Version : Timing Marks Not Lining Up

Civicssuck
12-08-2011, 03:33 PM
When doing a valve clearance check, I let the chain and sprocket (that were zip tied together) rest down at the head while swapping out shims. Now that I want to put it back together, both marks don't line up. Cam is lobes backwards and slightly up, index marks are lined up down bellow and with the sprocket back on it doesn't line up.

Is it possible the chain jumped teeth down bellow? If so, can I remove the zip tie and put where need be? Call me dumb if you want, but when I did the crf cam a couple years ago I didn't have one problem.....:huh

fastredrider44
12-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Did you take your tensioner out? Too much or too little tension will make it appear to be a tooth off sometimes. I doubt it jumped teeth, but double check it with the timing marks on the crank to make sure.

Civicssuck
12-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Did you take your tensioner out? Too much or too little tension will make it appear to be a tooth off sometimes. I doubt it jumped teeth, but double check it with the timing marks on the crank to make sure.

Yes, and it is still out. The mark on the cam assembly is "9 o'clock" and the sprocket mark right now is about "7 o'clock"

Scro
12-08-2011, 08:27 PM
The timing needs to be set with the tensioner tightened, and the cam tower bolts torqued to spec. Like 44 said, it can make it appear a couple teeth off if you don't.

dyno
12-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Probably jumped at the bottom- just cut tie and redo! With a older chain the sprocket may be slightly above the 9:00!

Civicssuck
12-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys