PDA

View Full Version : why can't it be easy to make money :(

madsmokey12
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
is there any secrets to make fast and easy money.. dang i might have to sell my quad to get a Car :( .. i wish my parents would lend me some money.. im only $1,500 from this 1.8T Jetta i wanna buy.. But good news it's my 21st Birthday haha so partys on tonight!! maybe ill get some more money in the mail :devil:

Lasher
12-08-2011, 11:32 AM
What about a personal loan from the a bank?

Oh, to make money is real easy...only takes one thing. Hard work :)

wilkin250r
12-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by madsmokey12
is there any secrets to make fast and easy money..

Yeah. Just work really hard and sacrifice for several years, invest your money really well (either in an actual "investment" or in yourself and your own business), work really hard for a little while longer to grow it, then you can sit back and the money will come rolling in fast and easy.

Overnight success takes about ten years.

madsmokey12
12-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Lasher
What about a personal loan from the a bank?

well its not as easy because i dont have a job right now.. (long Story) but i try to buy and resell things in my spare time. but it would be nice to get a family loan for a week or so.. it's not like i don't have money i got a dang $3300 ATV sitting in my Garage

ben300
12-08-2011, 11:48 AM
is there any secrets to make fast and easy money.. dang i might have to sell my quad to get a Car :( .. i wish my parents would lend me some money.. im only $1,500 from this 1.8T Jetta i wanna buy.. But good news it's my 21st Birthday haha so partys on tonight!! maybe ill get some more money in the mail :devil:

i see some solutions to your problem within this statement

1) buy a car thats within your means....you cant always get what you want, but if you look, you may find somehting in y our range.....sure i wanted a fully loaded 2011 f250 powerstroke crew cab..but i couldnt afford like $60k..so i got a $27k jeep...it was way more in my budget.....im sure, if your looking at that jtta, you could probably find somethign nice within the ammount of money you alread have...

2) dont go boosing.....i can honestly say that since i turned 21 a little over 3.5 years ago, ive probalby spent in the ball park of $5k-$6k on boose:eek2: thats between going to bars, parties, buying stuff for home...**** adds up quick and is a total waste....if i could have that mone back..i could a)invest it, b)buy a nice race quad, or c) put a bad *** stereo system in my ski boat.......but i dont so..

but i guess if you cant come up wiht the money....you could always steal it, sell drugs, suck some dicks, beat up little kids for lunch money which would be stealing it....steal the car......or you could find some hoes and be like this guy

madsmokey12
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ben300
i see some solutions to your problem within this statement

1) buy a car thats within your means....you cant always get what you want, but if you look, you may find somehting in y our range.....sure i wanted a fully loaded 2011 f250 powerstroke crew cab..but i couldnt afford like $60k..so i got a $27k jeep...it was way more in my budget.....im sure, if your looking at that jtta, you could probably find somethign nice within the ammount of money you alread have...

2) dont go boosing.....i can honestly say that since i turned 21 a little over 3.5 years ago, ive probalby spent in the ball park of $5k-$6k on boose:eek2: thats between going to bars, parties, buying stuff for home...**** adds up quick and is a total waste....if i could have that mone back..i could a)invest it, b)buy a nice race quad, or c) put a bad *** stereo system in my ski boat.......but i dont so..

but i guess if you cant come up wiht the money....you could always steal it, sell drugs, suck some dicks, beat up little kids for lunch money which would be stealing it....steal the car......or you could find some hoes and be like this guy

haha i would love to get a 2011 F250 .. But i just wanna get a simple car like a jetta i have the money im just waiting on getting it.. right now im $1,500 short with the cash in my hand and it would be nice if i could just get a short loan until i receive my money but it don't work that way i guess :( .. i mean the jetta is just something to beat around in until. my investment pays off then ill go buy a F250 king ranch:devil:

CJM
12-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes I can easily tell you how to save money-dont buy a pos VW, they are absolute garbage-really I mean it. Im a mechanic and have been for years, couldnt give me a vw for free. Save up for a car thats within your means but isnt something you will dump tons of $$$ into. Id seriously suggest some form of import car. Not only will it be cheaper to buy but it will last longer and cost less in the long run. I mean i want a 2000 F250/350 diesel, but I drive around a beat old toyota cause its in good shape and what I can afford and its paid for.

Anyways you want some real advice:
Save your cash, dont blow it on junk you really dont need. That means dont go out partying all the time, spend cash on food while out, buy useless junk you really dont need in the end. My brothers a great example of blowing your cash, he made tons of money and spent it all on bars/booze, cigs, and eating out. Seriously his debit card bill literally had him stopping to buy food at the local convenience store 2-3x a day!

Dont shop at $$ stores, I seriously buy almost all my clothes from walmart and wear them till they have holes (yes I have nice clothes but dont wear them often, I dont go out anywhere requiring them lol). I dont care what I look like to others, my clothes are clean and tidy but Ill be damned if Im buying 50 dollar jeans vs 15 dollar ones only to ruin them in the long run anyways.

chronicsmoke
12-08-2011, 11:58 AM
1st off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :cool:

2nd; You have to find a job that will in turn, make you money.

I wanted to be a small engine mechanic while I was still in Highschool. I took a Co-Op program with a local race engine builder (same guy that build ALL of my engines now), his advice was to keep 'Small Engines' as a hobbey and get a job that will support your hobbey.

Instead of applying for mechanic programs, I applied for environmental based programs (thats the way the world is headed). Long story short, I got hired a month after I graduated (19 years old) and have been making good money for the last 3 years. My salary is irrelevant, but I'll tell you that I net substantially more than my highschool friends that have not been able to lock down any decent jobs, and even some that do have decent jobs. That's why I can drive a nice vehicle, and have a couple nice toys.

Try coming up with a 5 year plan, nothing will be easy, but with a few bold decisions, it's very possible to be successful.

Have you completed any post-secondary courses?

madsmokey12
12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
1st off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :cool:

2nd; You have to find a job that will in turn, make you money.

I wanted to be a small engine mechanic while I was still in Highschool. I took a Co-Op program with a local race engine builder (same guy that build ALL of my engines now), his advice was to keep 'Small Engines' as a hobbey and get a job that will support your hobbey.

Instead of applying for mechanic programs, I applied for environmental based programs (thats the way the world is headed). Long story short, I got hired a month after I graduated (19 years old) and have been making good money for the last 3 years. My salary is irrelevant, but I'll tell you that I net substantially more than my highschool friends that have not been able to lock down any decent jobs, and even some that do have decent jobs. That's why I can drive a nice vehicle, and have a couple nice toys.

Try coming up with a 5 year plan, nothing will be easy, but with a few bold decisions, it's very possible to be successful.

Have you completed any post-secondary courses?

Thanks.. well i had nice toys i use to have a 03 Cadillac Escalade payed off only had 50,000 on it when i sold it . my dad needed money for the restaurant we opened up.. so i had a good job but were having problems with my uncle we made him a partner to help him out and he screwed us so right now were waiting for court day.. to see what happens

CJM
12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Forgot to add HAPPY B-DAY!

Agreeing with Chronic also. You need higher education these days. Ive been a mechanic since i was 15 legitly (working part time after school in a shop being the gopher) and up until recently was employed fulltime as one too. I worked and went to school b/c I know theres little future in it. Still going to school and working part time towards a degree with an ultimate goal of finding a real job when Im done. I have quite a ways to go b/c I dont take too many classes so I can work, but still at least when Im done Ill have something. Quite a few friends I know from HS are stuck in cruddy jobs b/c they flunked out of college or didnt go and now they make less than I do working fulltime when Im only doing part time!

Pipeless416
12-08-2011, 12:42 PM
sell the ferrari :chinese: :D

buck440
12-08-2011, 12:56 PM
you got to have years of higher education or bust your *** to make good money. there is no easy and fast way to do it.

honda400ex2003
12-08-2011, 01:00 PM
cause then everyone would be able to do it!

x2 on the rest here, hard work, good education, and invest wisely.

steve

fastredrider44
12-08-2011, 01:15 PM
1) Happy Birthday!

2) VWs are crap

3) Everynow and then, someone gets lucky and falls into some money fast and quick, but realistically, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Hard work. It's the only way.

madsmokey12
12-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
sell the ferrari :chinese: :D

haha not mine:(

but i had to put the quad up for sale :(

i got it up super cheap sucks when u need money :(

buck440
12-09-2011, 10:09 PM

i got it up super cheap sucks when u need money :(

lol i know the feeling. as long as you grew up with value's you'll do pretty good in the real world.

madsmokey12
12-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by buck440
lol i know the feeling. as long as you grew up with value's you'll do pretty good in the real world.

yea right now it's tough and my dad needed money so he sold my car and now i been making a little money and i need a car.. im about $1500 short and if i sell the quad ill be good.. i had one guy drive 2 hour to come look at the quad tonight i was all excited seem liked he really liked it but he didn't have the cash in hand and he wanted me to hold the quad until next week but im leaving for florida tomorrow and i told the guy that before he came.. so i loaded it up on the trailer and posted it in florida maybe ill get a real buyer i got so many stupid offers today up here in NC one was for $1500 for my 06 YFz 450se and it's in damn good condition..

i mean ill take $2400 cash for it i think thats a steal for this quad but i need money ..

beastlywarrior
12-10-2011, 06:50 AM
If you feel like coming to ohio ill trade my tracker and super swampers and throw in 500

Tommy Warren
12-10-2011, 07:52 AM
it might just be me but I always figured the best way to make money is to get a job.....its worked out well for me so far

motofreak2772
12-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Where did all of you work when you went to school. I'm telling you, it is impossible to save up for anything when you are trying to pay for school.. I'm living at home and am getting money back from scholarships but it's not like I can spend it because I will need it for the next semester. You need like 8k for a decent car.. I have a 97 infiniti J30 right now that I paid 3100 for, but it has 160k miles and has started having steering issues. I know people say buy something within your means, but doing that just costs you more in the end.
I work as a tutor at the school and get paid 8/hour. But I feel like there has to be easier ways to get money out there.. I'm thinking about branching out and doing private tutoring for like 12/hour, but unless I get a couple regulars it won't be the steady pay I need.
When I transfer and move away I will need to find another job. I know a lot of people get jobs at restaurants. How much does working at a restaurant actually pay? I'm not trying to jack your thread or anything but I feel like this would help out the OP too. I just want to know where is the place to work for college students.

fastredrider44
12-12-2011, 06:37 PM
I lived at home, worked 40+ hr/wk, drove 120 miles to school 5 days a week to be a fulltime student in an S-10 that i paid 4000 for with a loan that I paid on every month, including all bills and repairs on the truck. There were a lot! I didn't sleep much and paid for my own school in monthly payments set up by my school. (No student loans) It sucked, but I survived.

CJM
12-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Staying at school imho is overated and not worth it these days. Would I love actually getting to know people more than the typical 1.5-2 hour class, heck yea but its not in the cards. Much smarter to commute if possible or if you cant at least work a job at a pizza place or something near campus if you can.

For me it works like this: Im old enough my parents cannot claim me for any reason, thus Im single and live at home. I drive an old toyota truck with 220k on it that has needed a rear for eons b/c I spend my money elsewhere (its not gonna go anytime soon its just a seal that refuses to stay sealed no matter what I do) so I just leave it be till I feel like replacing the entire thing. Sorry to go off on a tangent, anyways since Im single I applied for scholarships. Sure I make money but lets just say its not "recorded" in terms of the system. Therefore I get scholarships and grants that pay for 80%, the rest I pay for in loans you dont have to pay till you graduate.

That being said I do anywhere from 9-12 credits a semester. I generally try and cluster all my classes in a few days a week so I have free time.

I have always worked except for one dry spell where I lost my job last year and was out of work for about 6 months. I first worked for a computer store 40 hours a week. Mostly worked weekends and 8 hour shifts during the week. Then I worked in a supermarket deli and again worked between 30-40 hours a week. During that whole time I also worked at a auto repair shop since Im about 15 on and off doing whatever I could. I finished my AA in 3 years and spent 1.5 years working for the auto shop, doing towing and roadside work fulltime. Theres no future in that world, you can earn a decent living but its tough, dealers work is better but your not really valued there usually. I still occasionally work there but the poor economy has killed biz along with cash for clunkers where the older cars were scrapped.

For the past few years I have been driving a tow truck/service truck for a longtime friend of mine. I work currently 2-3 days a week for him earning money to sit on my butt unless a job comes thru and I go do it. I also get tipped pretty well b/c people know the job doesnt pay too much. Except for a year stint working for a landscaper buddy b/c my buddy and I got into an argument and we parted ways Ive been doing it for a solid 5 years pretty much. I also try and work LONG shifts, 4-6 hours ispointless to me, I want to haul 8-15 hours in a day to make sure I can bank as much as possible. Why you ask..wtf else am I gonna do with my time anyways? Now also understand Im not a kid-Im 26 and although it pains me I havent finished sooner Im at least working at it. I also dont waste my cash on junk I dont need, I try not to go to the bar or eat out alot, I dont buy trendy clothes or shoes (walmart is my friend) cause I ruin them anyways due to the nature of my work or just whatever I do in my spare time lol, I certainly dont need to have a super nice $$$ phone with dataplan (I pay for my own) not only is it a waste but Ive done just fine with out for years now. Trick is NOT to spend the cash you earn. Yes gas kinda kills me but I save for about a month when Im not in school and thats all gas money set aside.

Balancing act of doing the homework, studying, attending class, doing what I want when I want and still getting good grades. Truly helps that I remember stuff very easily and I can crank out a paper in a matter of hours with little background on it if need be. I also only study for tests and or quizzes (quizzes are not usually given) and such. Not everyone can do this, but those who can will find out fast just how much effort they need to put in to get the grade. The BEST advice I can give you: Figure out EXACTLY how the professor operates, what they expect and do EXACTLY that. This ensures you dont do 10x the work and get a poor grade, b/c after all what your doing is exactly what they expect. Also CHOOSE your professors wisely if possible, if you find the easy one your guaranteed the good grade if you do the work.

Right now I have a test on weds in my science class I have barely paid attention to and studied for. Gonna cram all day on and off tomorrow for a total of maybe 4 hours. Next week I have finals, one class Im already done (it was a presentation I basically ad-libbed in under 2 hours and then gave today) and the other 2 classes the one professor gave us the test in review form and the other science class Im just gonna study hard for.

Its not really that hard honestly. Im a master of doing exactly what I said in the above and not less or more. Unless the prof is a hardarse you can generally please them Ive found and get at least a B or an A, the jerks you get a C but so what-a C isnt an F or a D so no worries everyone gets a C sometimes.

But its all in how you play the game. How do I have so much free time (as Im sure many users notice I post ALOT). I do all my work in advance if I can, any reports or such I begin the actual work way ahead of time if possible and throw on the finishing touches at the end if its a big project. If its something easy its a 1-3 hour deal Ill do a day or two or the night before depending on it. But I always prepare a bit ahead of time. Reading..lol I honestly buy the books but I dont read them, professors LOVE powerpoints, use them to study off and read those and they even go over them in class. Few professors use the book unless its an english class or something. So dont get fooled into reading unless you gotta.

Anyways I hope some of that helped. Im sure not everyone can be like me but try my methods, if they didnt work I wouldnt be as far as I am today.

CJM
12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Oh some other worthwhile info:

Buy a good used car, one that WONT need repairs. You do this your golden. I bought my toyota years ago for 5k and put 100k on it and whatever problems it had were mostly caused by myself or were wear items-repairing it myself saves HUGE money. But dont be stupid and buy the fancy or cool car, its not worth it and you will find it hard to pay for stuff to be repaired later b/c of what it is in some cases. I love the people who buy really nice stuff for $$, take out loans and such then either it gets repo'd or they gotta sell it b/c the 10/hr job they have they cant afford it anymore.

Also try and work for a restaurant. I never did it but plenty of friends have. As a waiter in a higher end place you can make serious bank. yea the hours and days suck but the bank you make might make it worthwhile for ya-you can easily make 250 a night. Bartending, pizza delivery and such are also good for students. Try and find a cash job, paychecks are nice but you dont get to keep it all, cash you do!

tbrackman84
12-13-2011, 07:24 PM
^ wise words from CJM

I work for the campus on the grounds crew, they only allow 10 hours a week, but it's better than nothing, and if i can't make it in due to classes or other more important stuff (like hunting, fishing, and riding :devil: )it's no big deal

tbrackman84
12-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Oh some other worthwhile info:

Buy a good used car, one that WONT need repairs. You do this your golden.

I also agree with this 100% i bought a 92 s10 when i was 16 ,(which was 5 years ago). It's needed very minor and expected repairs, and i ponly paid 1800 for it. Last summer i spent about 100$ on new fenders and repainted it myself. It's sweet not to have a car payment like alot of my friends do, and I love my truck :D

CJM
12-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I remember you showing that off when you repainted it (least I think so).

The words I wrote are soooo worth reading for those of you who might have skimmed it or ignored it, trust me on it. Im not an idiot and Ive been there done that and worn alot of different hats in my life. I left out the part btw where for 6 months straight I worked 2 jobs pretty much 18/hrs a day so I could save my cash to buy that truck I mentioned.

Anyways, heed my words guys and gals. Life sucks then you die, you and you alone make the best of it by how you do things and where you want to end up in life. Lifes what you make of it, want to have money and nice stuff you gotta work-unless you hit the lotto or your rich beyond most peoples means you gotta work. Suck it up and go to work, wtf else do people do all day-I surely get bored sitting around alot.

I also wanted to add:
Pay attention in school to what the teacher/professor says-this helps greatly and is one of the reasons I dont study very hard!

Pipeless416
12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Staying at school imho is overated and not worth it these days.

i agree with most of what i read except for this part. i have a lot of experience with housing and student development. most of what student benefit from comes from finding themselves by moving away from home. i feel that this is even more important than the actual academic side of things, at least for undergraduate students. when i was in undergrad, i was an RA for a few years in an upperclassmen hall. eastern takes student development seriously, so i wasn't just a babysitter. people who transferred in as a junior from a community college were leaps and bounds behind in social development and maturity. also, students simply do not have the opportunities that come with living on or near campus if they commute. i would not be who i am today if i did it that way. sure, i would have less loans, but i would never trade it. sometimes i wonder how resumes are still empty except for the actual degree. i realize some people do not have the option, but if you do, by all means... go live at school. there are always jobs around on and off campus as well. FWIW, i've been employed here since september of my sophomore year, and some of the benefits are GREAT (eg-free room and board on top of a monthly stipend) right now, as a graduate assistant i'm getting free tuition- ~$5k per semester, on top of $860 monthly paychecks for working 20 hours per week. :macho seriously, there are ways to do it.

CJM
12-13-2011, 08:48 PM
While I agree the experiences you get from staying at school can and will shape who you become as well as perhaps help with maturity and such, I feel that perhaps this isnt true for everyone. Theres no way I could have afforded 35k/yr to stay only 35 mins from my house.

While I wish I could have done so, just wasnt in the cards for me. Surely I couldnt have worked the way I did and earned the cash I have to have the stuff I wanted and have today.

I feel its very beneficial to people who lack life experience and maturity. I was never one of those people so I cant really comment on it too much. To put it into perspective: In my family Im the responsible kid, my brother is the deadbeat-party animal who is an immature idiot who might have benefitted from going away (he hasnt finished Jr college for 5 years now lol) but people like him dont go to school, they go to party and flunk out.

motofreak2772
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
i agree with most of what i read except for this part. i have a lot of experience with housing and student development. most of what student benefit from comes from finding themselves by moving away from home. i feel that this is even more important than the actual academic side of things, at least for undergraduate students. when i was in undergrad, i was an RA for a few years in an upperclassmen hall. eastern takes student development seriously, so i wasn't just a babysitter. people who transferred in as a junior from a community college were leaps and bounds behind in social development and maturity. also, students simply do not have the opportunities that come with living on or near campus if they commute. i would not be who i am today if i did it that way. sure, i would have less loans, but i would never trade it. sometimes i wonder how resumes are still empty except for the actual degree. i realize some people do not have the option, but if you do, by all means... go live at school. there are always jobs around on and off campus as well. FWIW, i've been employed here since september of my sophomore year, and some of the benefits are GREAT (eg-free room and board on top of a monthly stipend) right now, as a graduate assistant i'm getting free tuition- ~$5k per semester, on top of $860 monthly paychecks for working 20 hours per week. :macho seriously, there are ways to do it.
This is what I'm talking about! How did you get into that program, and what were the benefits when you started out? Are you still a student or have you finished already?

Pipeless416
12-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
This is what I'm talking about! How did you get into that program, and what were the benefits when you started out? Are you still a student or have you finished already?

which one? being an RA as an undergrad is about the best thing you can do as far as benefits at most schools. being a graduate assistant obviously means i'm going for a master's degree. i've already graduated from under grad. for both of them, i got involved in all the right places and just tried to outshine everybody else that was going for the same position. same as getting any job. being an RA is a lifestyle though. GA.. not so much, however i have access to my lab 24/7 and its a full production lab/machine shop :devil:. i got the grad assistantship because i definitely know the lab better than anybody else in the school.

there are also GPA requirements for both.

if you're a good student and you can prove that you're responsible, you'll have a good shot. don't forget that you will have a lot of other people depending on you.

edit: i'm still a student. i tried shoving a masters degree into one year and it's a struggle, but i just have spring semester left.. and 15 graduate hours with a thesis.. 15 graduate hours feels like 20 undergrad :ermm:

MX MaNiAc 06
12-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I graduated college in May and my only regret is working so much through school.. Most weekends i would drive 100 miles home to work or study at school. Now that im out of school and working i wish i had just taken out a loan for 20k and paid it back after i graduated. Enjoy school while you can. Its the last time you get to live with very few responsibilities. As long as you have a good major that guarantees you a job after school... you'll be making a lot more than you thought.

fastredrider44
12-15-2011, 08:46 PM
While there is some truth to this, I have to say that I'm glad that I worked while in school. I race at least half the weekends of every year and and sometimes more than one race per weekend. I'm not going to say I'm debt free, but I'm close. Work hard, play harder. But in college, I didn't have a life outside of work, school, and racing. I never did the typical college thing.

ben300
12-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
[BBut in college, I didn't have a life outside of work, school, and racing. I never did the typical college thing. [/B]

man you missed out! it took me 5 years total to get my degree...of those 5 years, 2.5 i went home and worked every single weekend.....my sophomore, junior, and half my 4th year....for what, a little extra cash? i had plenty of money. my family is pretty well off and i had super high paying summer jobs/internships...but i felt i needed that money...then half way through my 4th year, i started to stay at school, and man did i miss out on a lot of things.

sure, most of you non drinkers, or people who liek quiet life will say "what, you missed a couple parties and what not?"...no, it jsut not that...it was the experienes, the time, and adventures that i got to go one with my roommates and my frineds that i missed out on during those 2.5 years....its not the boozing, or chasing slores, or goofing off, its the meeting people, stories you can tell, and the comraderie (spl?) that you have with your close friends, class mates, adn roommates that make it so special and so fun....to me, there is no job, movie, tv show, race, mountain to ski, or deer to hunt, or w/e that can replace that ****..

we all make our own personal choices, and some people dont like to live it up and experience things...i did....and trust me, when you get out...you'll miss it

fastredrider44
12-16-2011, 09:00 AM
That's what I'm saying. In college, i chose to race instead of party. Did I miss something? Sure. But it would be incorrect to say that I have any regrets. I've done my fair share of partyin, and still do. But racing is in my blood and that's what I base my decisions on.

Scro
12-16-2011, 09:23 AM
I guess it just depends on how you look at life, and what you want out of it. Like 44, I raced pretty much all through college. From my perspective, those that didn't race were the ones missing out.:cool:

quad2xtreme
12-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Making money is easy...working hard for it isn't.

chronicsmoke
12-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Making money is easy...working hard for it isn't.

^ I like that