PDA

View Full Version : CDI box?

tbrackman84
12-07-2011, 02:55 PM
well since i can't search for "CDI" i guess i'll just ask it quick here. I'm considering getting a sparks cdi box from a member on here. Are these cdi boxes worthwhile? i just have the mods in my signature, so there is almost no motorwork done, but will this be noticable, and are they dangerous or rough on the engine?

01boneless
12-07-2011, 03:08 PM
there worthwess on a stock motor. the quad stops making power befor the stock limeter kicks in so a aftermarket will make no diffrence but move the limet up 1000rpms witch is good on heavy built motors but not stock.

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 03:11 PM
most say it's just a rebranded OEM XR250 box. If it advances the timing alittle great. The extra rev will only benefit you with a cam to match. Also depends on how you ride and what type of riding you do.

DirtyBirdRacing
12-07-2011, 05:16 PM
if you want to Advance the timming and give you more throttle responce you should just go with a Sparks +6 Key

About everyone here on this form has said the same as these guys they are useless and a waste of money un less you're motor is modded heavily The stock 400ex stops makeing useable power well with in its stock rev limit.

Wheelie
12-07-2011, 07:18 PM
They are a waste of money. Look at my sig, I have about every mod know to man for a 400ex. Except a rev box, and for good reason---I ran one for about a month and removed and sold it. Timing keys are cheaper and offer better performance gains without any sacrifice in reliability.

tbrackman84
12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
ok guys thanks

tbrackman84
12-07-2011, 09:22 PM
what is the deal with these timing keys, i've seen people talk about them on here but never researched them...

atvrider13
12-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Here is my 2 cents on this subject from my personal experience : My cousin and i both bought 400exs together

Identical stock machines were dead even in a race

Next I installed a K&N filter , his still stock , result mine was a lil faster

Next he got a K&N and got a white bros revbox , mine just K&N filter yet and his was faster.

So it does make a difference , it might not be much but it does and its hell of a lot easier to do than the advance key mod. Unplug old one , plug in new one , done