PDA

View Full Version : Yet another teen death...

trailrider894
12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Just got word that another teen girl from my hometown was killed in a car accident.... that would be the 4th this year, and 3 others which were non-fatal but all 3 of those are still in the Hospital.
They were all accidental, non of these kids were at fault, it's mostly slick roads, and bad truck drivers.

Here is the link to the story (http://gasconade.countynewslive.com/content/2011/dec/07/fatal-accident-highway-19-south-hermann-morning)

250x_kyle
12-07-2011, 12:51 PM
sad to hear. looks like the guy driving that rig tried to avoid it but failed. my dads friend had a guy swerve to miss a deer back in may and right into the path of his loaded rig. killed everyone in the car. drive smart people. put the cell phone down two seconds may just save your life.

trailrider894
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
sad to hear. looks like the guy driving that rig tried to avoid it but failed. my dads friend had a guy swerve to miss a deer back in may and right into the path of his loaded rig. killed everyone in the car. drive smart people. put the cell phone down two seconds may just save your life.

Amen bro!! and BUCKLE UP!! Although in this case it may not have helped much.... Put the phone down, buckle up and keep your eyes and ears on the road in front of you!! Watch out for ice and other obstacles!!!

ATVMX33
12-07-2011, 06:15 PM
7 teens have died in two different wrecks this week all within a half hour of my house

Lasher
12-08-2011, 10:35 AM
My opinion...teens should not be allowed to get a license until they are 18. A leaner permit from 16 to 18, with an adult driver in vehicle.

And before you kids start crying, I thought this when got my license at 16 + 30 days as well.

There are buses for school, and I don't want to hear about needing to get to work...because you are probably working to pay for the stupid car.

250x_kyle
12-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Lasher
My opinion...teens should not be allowed to get a license until they are 18. A leaner permit from 16 to 18, with an adult driver in vehicle.

And before you kids start crying, I thought this when got my license at 16 + 30 days as well.

There are buses for school, and I don't want to hear about needing to get to work...because you are probably working to pay for the stupid car.

i dont know where you have been but kids dont have afterschool jobs anymore. ive lost faith in my generation. i know tons of people that are in their third year of college and never paid for a vehicle or a tank of gas. wich also sums up wich ones pay less attention to their driving habits because they dont have to pay to fix it.

honda250xrider
12-08-2011, 11:08 AM
That very unfortunate.

Lasher- I have heard that arguement quite a bit over the years. Although I do not believe it would benefit enough to warrant the increase in driving age.

Lasher
12-08-2011, 11:18 AM
I was far from a saint when driving as a teen. Heck, as an adult I am still not a "perfect" driver.

I have been in accidents, caused accidents, lost friends all that. But as an adult (and father) I can see the difference between a 16 year old and an 18 year old. Even in CT, there are so many restrictions for teenage drivers (no passengers, curfew etc) yet there are still accidents and deaths all the time.

One story that sticks out from my youth....

A bunch of friends and myself were heading to the parade downtown in two cars, both full of friends. I was driving one of the cars. We went different paths to get downtown and the other car never showed up. (before cell phones) We found out that there was an accident and rushed to the hospital to see one of my friends being wheeled in from the ambulance. Luckily no one was killed but there was major injuries to multiple people. I had to call one of my friends parents..."Hello, Mrs Lee, this is a friend of Matt's and he has been in an accident and you need to come to the hospital."

The friend driving did not notice/remember the stop sign and got T-boned in the intersection.

As I said before, even when I was 16 I said that teens should not have a license. While a few can handle the responsibility, majority cannot.

I will not even get into the generation thing...that is a whole different rant.

quadrcr161
12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Lasher

i agree with you also, and thought the same at 16 because people are not taught how to drive, they just point in the general direction. i was driving around the house and in fields at 11-12 yrs old and my parents showed me what could happen. i remember in drivers ed people who had never sat behind the wheel struggling to understand it all.

edit: i actually wish they would make the driving test harder and for everyone, actually make it where people have to show they can handle the vehicle they drive. i would be first in line to retake a harder test

Lasher
12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Oh...shoot, I forgot. If kids cannot get their license until 18, then the parents will have to drive them places.

Forget the whole idea, I would hate to make parents actually take care of their kids at that age and be part of their life.

Pipeless416
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
fully agree with Lasher and quadrcr161. i'm only 24, but i can see the huge gap between a 16 and 18 year old as far as maturity behind the wheel. it really becomes apparent as soon as the weather is less than ideal. no 16 year old texting during a storm... rain does not mean speed up and tailgate the car in front of you. too many people are driving that shouldn't be. IMO, driving is a privilege, not a right. if you can't make proper decisions when it could alter or end the lives of others then you don't deserve to drive.

250x_kyle
12-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
fully agree with Lasher and quadrcr161. i'm only 24, but i can see the huge gap between a 16 and 18 year old as far as maturity behind the wheel. it really becomes apparent as soon as the weather is less than ideal. no 16 year old texting during a storm... rain does not mean speed up and tailgate the car in front of you. too many people are driving that shouldn't be. IMO, driving is a privilege, not a right. if you can't make proper decisions when it could alter or end the lives of others then you don't deserve to drive.

only one thing nerves me more then that. and its people driving around with the three year old running around in the vehicle like their in the living room of their house.

trailrider894
12-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Guys, please out of respect... Lets keep this to the originial topic... people have died here... People i knew closely. Lets not discuss the proper age for driving.... Start a new thread for that. As an LEO, i think that 16 is perfectly fine... BUT, parents are in charge of how their kids are trained... Ido think that all kids should be shown shock videos of texting while driving.

ridehonda400ex
12-22-2011, 08:37 AM
hey guys lets not say all teens dont have jobs. Im 16 work everyday after school from open to close on saturdays and everyday i have off school i work all day. I pay for my truck, gas and insurance. I even bought two vehicles on my own. bought my own dirtbike and am paying to rebuild it. I work my *** off everyday which sucks. I wish my parents could pay for it all lol but times are tough and ill survive, it just prepares me for the future:)

KXRida
12-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Sadly I see this almost on a daily basis. Took care of a 26 year old that ran a stop sign head on into a semi.

I have to say that I agree with lasher. I was 17 1/2 when I got my license and at the time I was still uneasy to drive by myself for the first few months. It's crazy the amount of teen drivers I see whipping in and out of traffic on cell phones as well. Infact I had two cut me off this morning. One in a geo tracker and one in a kia. Sorry but I think my f250 would do a little more damage in the event of a crash. Last year our area had three major losses of young adults with school beginning. All either seniors in high school or in their first year of college. It was a very sad time locally seeing how I worked with parents of two of them. Just recently we lost a good friend of many. Both were drinking and out on a joy ride. Neither were wearing seat belts. The driver (19) was doing 55mph through a 25mph neighborhood when then struck a dip in the road causing a multi rollover crash with one being ejected. It's hard to face all my friends at work and tell them the truth when they ask how he's doing. Sadly, he was deemed brain dead and his organ's donated per family request. I'm not a perfect driver as well and of course do some stupid things every now and then, but people just need to slow down.

At our last trauma symposium this video was shown. Very emotional.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2964

Drfat400ex
12-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
i agree with you also, and thought the same at 16 because people are not taught how to drive, they just point in the general direction. i was driving around the house and in fields at 11-12 yrs old and my parents showed me what could happen. i remember in drivers ed people who had never sat behind the wheel struggling to understand it all.

edit: i actually wish they would make the driving test harder and for everyone, actually make it where people have to show they can handle the vehicle they drive. i would be first in line to retake a harder test
I agree with this guy 100%. I've been driving tractors on the roads since I was 10, I know, that's dangerous but I knew what I was doing the whole time, knew the roads and everything. I'm 15 and in the new years some kids my age will be getting their licenses, that honestly scares me alot. Some of these kids can't even see strait or understand how to use a screwdriver in shop, let alone drive! The problem is that the mindset is like grand theift auto, if you crash it's no big deal unless it's a bunch of times then your car might get hurt but everybody will be fine so whatever and I know how to drive fine because I play driving video games and I ride skateboards and bicycles. The not having to pay for things is another thing all together, if they crash, it's okay because daddy will pay for it to get fixed or pay for the insurance anyways, no biggy.

RaceEcar191
12-22-2011, 05:18 PM
So sad