PDA

View Full Version : beat chain or bent skid?

tbrackman84
12-06-2011, 10:05 PM
ok guys i'm up at school and haven't been home to check my quad out since i went on a big ride shortly after thanksgiving, so this has been bugging me...

Within the last 30 mins of my ride, i was going at a pretty steady speed on 5th just cruising, but i kept hearing clunk from the rear, I looked and saw my chain was slapping off my skid plate. Now I know my chain is fairly old and is about at the end of it's life, but when i checked the tightness it felt ok, i adjusted it and it seemed to be right in place, but i still had a slight slap. I couldnt tell if my skid was bent with my quick inspection, but what do you guys think? I'm thinking i need a new chain and sprockets and problem solved, but just wnated to check with the pros of the 400 section first :blah:

Thumpin440ex
12-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Easiest way to know is to actually look to see if the skid is bent.. No guessing there. If the chain is in spec as far as tightness goes, then would seem to me the skid is bent

John

Stickman400
12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Is your roller underneath your chain or the slider around the front of the swingarm worn out? Could be slapping alot because the roller is really worn and not doing its job.

crownandmonster
12-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Positive its a problem with the chain/skid? Carrier bearings will make one heck of a chunking/grinding when they are bad. Have you serviced them lately?

tbrackman84
12-07-2011, 09:32 AM
thats a good possibility stickman i didn't check that..
and crowandmonster i have recently changed to a dual row carrier and i know it's not that because i have experienced the terrible noises they can make already haha, it's not the same.