PDA

View Full Version : Radar detectors?

exrider12
12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Im trying to get a radar detector for xmas and need help deciding on which one.

Im looking at the Passport 9500XI mainly and if anyone has any input on it let me know..

Thanks

CJM
12-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Best advice I can give you: Dont waste your cash on one and just go the speed limit. They arent always accurate and are very $$$ for what you get. I have never once got a speeding ticket, I drive a normal looking truck (what gets thier attn is driving something flashy!) and just go no more than 10 over the limit unless its a 25mph zone then I do 5 over at best.

10 years driving, like I said no speeding tickets ever.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
12-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Valentine One is the best radar detector out and I will never buy another. Has saved me plenty of times.

Also, out of curiosity, why do people feel the need to tell someone to "drive the speed limit" when they asked what the best radar detector is? "Oh you want a sports car? Well why not just buy a nice family sedan? It's saved me from plenty of tickets..." Get out.

CJM
12-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Cause there wouldnt be a need for them if people drove IDK normally?

And by normally I mean never more than 10 over the actual limit. Not only is it unsafe in many cases. But since Im the guy who comes out and scrapes up whats left of your car when you hit something and or cause a major accident (tow truck operator). Seen WAY to many deaths from people who just drive way to fast..that could have totally been avoided had they just observed even close to the speed lmit.

Yea sometimes the speed limit is way to low for a road, but doing 70mph in a 45mph zone..thats plain stupid and asking for trouble.

I also found out that if you rush and do insane speeds you just might..just might save yourself a whole 2-5 mins on your trip.

Sorry you dont like my advice.

Pacheco_450r
12-06-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm going to have to agree with CJM on this one. I've seen multiple passports in action and had a cobra for a couple months and was never very impressed. I don't care how much you spend, the range they have just isn't that far. In most cases I could see the cop before the detector would pick it up. Honestly your eyes and your head are your best ways to watch out for mr. police man. You learn where their usual hiding spots are or where they would typically be, and I have even gotten pretty good with spotting them a half mile down the road heading my way. I don't support wreckless driving at all by the way, drive smart guys!

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
12-06-2011, 11:05 PM
That's not what I mean, sure it's not safe to speed. But that's what makes this life great, this is my life and I shall do as I please. :D I don't need any of that, "Well what if you kill someone else while you're speeding?!" Well then life sucked for them.

buck440
12-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
..."Well what if you kill someone else while you're speeding?!" Well then life sucked for them.

i love it!!

CJM
12-07-2011, 08:29 AM
That's not what I mean, sure it's not safe to speed. But that's what makes this life great, this is my life and I shall do as I please. :D I don't need any of that, "Well what if you kill someone else while you're speeding?!" Well then life sucked for them.

Ok.

Hows about I take my 26k lb flatbed and run you over while your driving down the road? Want to take a crack at it? I guarantee Ill come out alive with barely any damage to my tow truck and you will be hamburger. Trust me, your not funny and very immature.

Sorry to the original poster that this got outta hand. You want to buy one of those pos detectors go for it, it wont save your hide too well and is a waste-but you can be the judge should you buy one.

Lasher
12-07-2011, 10:02 AM
I used to have (in box buried in basement now) a radar detector years ago. I actually found that I got more tickets for speeding with the detector than without. (For the PC police, not a single ticket was for over 75 on highway) But I found that I counted on the radar detector more than watching traffic for forewarning about the police.

Stopped using the detector and have not gotten a ticket in years. But I drive the same, just now I let off a little when I "think" a cop is hiding over the hill or around the corner.

Plus, in CT all the cops have laser. Sure the radar detector went off, when the cop pulled the trigger, letting me know I was just clocked!

fastredrider44
12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
"Well what if you kill someone else while you're speeding?!" Well then life sucked for them.

I hope you rethink that.

trailrider894
12-07-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a Beltronics V6... I personally love it. It's saved me tons of times... If you can conceal it, and pretend that its not there and keep your eyes peeled then thats your best shot. Cops use Pop radar's or the On Off method... Thats what i use, and your radar detector will pick it up after its damn near too late or just in time to slow down. I am all for radar detectors, as long as your not using it as leverage to go 100MPH on I-70 across the country. I still stick within 10mph over on state owned roads, and go the speed limit on base.

slightlybent47
12-07-2011, 11:25 AM
CJM your fighting a loosing battle. Unfortunately there are some who will never understand the concept of driving responsibly. They seem to think they own the road and there the only ones that don’t have to obey the law.
A radar detector should be illegal in every state if you ask me.
I’m not going to sit here and try to explain the concept of driving responsibly to those who refuse to be safe and think about others.
Perhaps they would change there point of view if they or one of there friends or family has become a victim of a reckless driver.
Wake up and think of how things would be if you hurt or killed someone with your recklessness.

trailrider894
12-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Like I said, I am all for driving responsibly... I don't go driving around like a maniac, and still own a radar detector... It would be un-constitutional to take away our right to own radar detectors... I don't understand why some states have them as illegal... If you ask me, it has helped me drive more responsibly, after realizing really how many cops there are that you can't see. But like i said, as an LEO i know all about reckless drivers, an old Highschool friend of mine was just killed this morning in a car accident... A dumptruck came around a corner going to fast, it flipped and killed her instantly.

honda250xrider
12-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I think for the price the valentine one is the best radar detector.

I would venture to say speeding is generally not the main culprit in wrecks. I would say distracted driving is.

CJM
12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I totally agree bent. I detectors they are worthless b/c if people just drove the limit there wouldnt be issues. As time wears on Im past the point of going fast, I take it easy and do the limit mostly, just not that in such a huge rush anymore. Sure when I was a kid I sped, but havent done so in years. Ive seen every accident imaginable and trust me the ones where the person was speeding you dont usually take people away alive when the car looks like a accordion from hitting something.

Sooner or later a fatal accident will affect them..till then its all fun and games. Today I almost got clipped by an idiot who decided 80mph was an excellent speed to do on a state hwy in torrential rain. I let off, braked and was fine thank god. 2 mins later I switched lanes and made that sucker get stuck behind someone really slow to punish them. Wish I had the flatbed instead tho, woulda hit the airhorns and scared the bejesus outta them.

@TrailRider: Dont speed on base whatever you do, those cops have NOTHING to do (usually they are rent a cops not MP's) and will throw the book at ya.

slightlybent47
12-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Lol it’s funny, those who speed are usually the very ones that ***** about getting poor gas millage and wonder why they have to replace there car every few years.

slightlybent47
12-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Here is something you num nuts should know. When setting speed limits there set for All cars and trucks that are currently on the road. Just because you drive a nice new car that handles like it’s on rails. Doesn’t mean everyone drives a new car. You have to stop and think about the condition of every car that may travel down that road.
An old worn out car that has had no maintenance done to it and is in terrible condition can not do the things a new car can do.

400exrider707
12-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm not going to get into all the politics of this, because at the end of the day, chances are most people wont change their mind on the subject (both sides of the argument)

With that said:

Originally posted by Pacheco_450r
I'm going to have to agree with CJM on this one. I've seen multiple passports in action and had a cobra for a couple months and was never very impressed. I don't care how much you spend, the range they have just isn't that far. In most cases I could see the cop before the detector would pick it up. Honestly your eyes and your head are your best ways to watch out for mr. police man. You learn where their usual hiding spots are or where they would typically be, and I have even gotten pretty good with spotting them a half mile down the road heading my way. I don't support wreckless driving at all by the way, drive smart guys!

In the radar detector world, Cobra=paperweight they are complete junk.

If you have a good detector, you will pick them up far before then. I have marked how far mine has picked up LEO's, and on the thruway I have picked up close to 3 miles away. I typically don't speed very much on the thruway though, but it is nice to know there is probably a cop up ahead, to slow down, especially if said cop is making a traffic stop since we have move-over laws now. That gives me 2-3 miles of room for me to move over and safely avoid anything on the side of the road.

Originally posted by Lasher
I used to have (in box buried in basement now) a radar detector years ago. I actually found that I got more tickets for speeding with the detector than without. (For the PC police, not a single ticket was for over 75 on highway) But I found that I counted on the radar detector more than watching traffic for forewarning about the police.

Stopped using the detector and have not gotten a ticket in years. But I drive the same, just now I let off a little when I "think" a cop is hiding over the hill or around the corner.

Plus, in CT all the cops have laser. Sure the radar detector went off, when the cop pulled the trigger, letting me know I was just clocked!

That's why you use laser jammers WITH the laser detector. You need both to be effective.

I use a V1. Love it. You still need to be smart about what you're doing. Use your head and drive responsibly.

For good info about detectors and accessories: www.radardetector.net

exrider12
12-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I'm not going to get into all the politics of this, because at the end of the day, chances are most people wont change their mind on the subject (both sides of the argument)

With that said:

In the radar detector world, Cobra=paperweight they are complete junk.

If you have a good detector, you will pick them up far before then. I have marked how far mine has picked up LEO's, and on the thruway I have picked up close to 3 miles away. I typically don't speed very much on the thruway though, but it is nice to know there is probably a cop up ahead, to slow down, especially if said cop is making a traffic stop since we have move-over laws now. That gives me 2-3 miles of room for me to move over and safely avoid anything on the side of the road.

That's why you use laser jammers WITH the laser detector. You need both to be effective.

I use a V1. Love it. You still need to be smart about what you're doing. Use your head and drive responsibly.

For good info about detectors and accessories: www.radardetector.net

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! I knew all these arguments would break out... I was hesitant to even post this.

buck440
12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
you can't buy a laser jammer, can you?

buck440
12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
i guess they are kinda legal.

pretty neat read.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/july-2008/laser-jammer-test.html

honda250xrider
12-07-2011, 05:50 PM
In most states laser Jammers are perfectly legal.

Eventually I would love to try a V1 with a LI Jammer. (laser interceptor)

400exrider707
12-08-2011, 08:41 AM
You can certainly buy laser jammers. You can also buy radar jammers, but in most states radar jamming is illegal. Laser jammers, not so much, yet.

Laser is a tricky one. It's a very small concentrated beam, so it's naturally harder for detectors to even pick it up. This is why proper mounting of your detector is crucial.

A good detector should be mounted as HIGH as possible in the windshield, and with a CLEAR view, it should also be as level as possible. This will ensure the most accurate reading. I have my V1 mounted just under my rear view mirror in my F250 (already sits pretty high).

Now, when laser is shot at you, it needs to hit a flat-ish surface, and it needs to be reflective. In the great state of NY, we are required to have license plates on the front of our vehicles... I wonder why? Oh that's right, because we shoot a LOT of laser here on the thruways. Ever taken a picture of a car around night time or kind of low light situation? Ever notice how the license plate is ALWAYS glowing? They're made this way. Instead of light ricocheting off, it bounces back at the direction in which the light came in. Now is this making sense? The LEO's aim for your license plate, because the laser will definitely bounce back off of this. This is also why any sort of plate cover is illegal in NY.

Now, other things that laser likes: Large front ends (my F250 is like a house in the front), anything shiny or reflective like chrome or any high gloss paint.

Laser doesn't like things like very sleek front ends (think porsche 911), matte or flat colors (light can't reflect off of it well), etc.

There are other things like laser veil, which is a clear cover you put over your front end to prevent laser from bouncing off of it http://www.laserveil.com/

Laser jammers accompanying a good detector are also a good choice. You can watch a few vids of some in action on youtube. A buddy from another forum (William_04_X) has some really good vids of his excursion running against laser and testing different products http://www.youtube.com/user/william04x#p/u/6/BKSeOZd3pRw

Lasher
12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Here is something you num nuts should know. When setting speed limits there set for All cars and trucks that are currently on the road. Just because you drive a nice new car that handles like it’s on rails. Doesn’t mean everyone drives a new car. You have to stop and think about the condition of every car that may travel down that road.
An old worn out car that has had no maintenance done to it and is in terrible condition can not do the things a new car can do.

Many years ago I actually did a research paper in college about speed limits and have to disagree with you on one part. The speed limits were set many years ago. I cannot remember the actual year without looking it up again, but it was back in 1970 (or earlier). Then the gas shortage in the 70s caused them to lower it to 55 (and fed gov tied it to the highway funds). There it stayed until recently when the government allowed state rights for speed.

But the speed limits were set for cars back then, under IDEAL conditions. Part of my research paper was how cars have improved in handling, stopping (huge difference) and safety.

So the speed limits are not set for the current cars on the road, but cars of way back.

slightlybent47
12-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Many years ago I actually did a research paper in college about speed limits and have to disagree with you on one part. The speed limits were set many years ago. I cannot remember the actual year without looking it up again, but it was back in 1970 (or earlier). Then the gas shortage in the 70s caused them to lower it to 55 (and fed gov tied it to the highway funds). There it stayed until recently when the government allowed state rights for speed.

But the speed limits were set for cars back then, under IDEAL conditions. Part of my research paper was how cars have improved in handling, stopping (huge difference) and safety.

So the speed limits are not set for the current cars on the road, but cars of way back.

So you’re saying that as long as I’m driving a new car I can go as fast as I want?
Then there’s the fact that not everyone has the same driving skills, do you really want someone that cant drive , to be allowed to speed?
I wonder what you got on that paper you wrote.lol
It doesn’t really mater when the speed limits were set, and I would think individual municipalities would be able to set there own speed limits or at least the state should.
Example: speed traps in small towns.
You over looked the fact that all cars are allowed to be on the roadway (old and new) as long as they pass an inspection. That even means the old ones that aren’t as safe as the new ones are on the road. In rural areas you have to consider that farmers are allowed to drive there slow moving tractors on the roadway.

My point being there are many factors that go into why the speed is set for any road and there are all kinds of vehicles and pedestrians that could be traveling on the roadway. It’s not just you out there.

Lasher
12-08-2011, 08:22 PM
No, I am not saying you should be able to drive as fast as you want. But speed limits were set many years ago and they have not changed with the cars abilities.

There a guidelines for setting speed limits. For many years the federal government mandated the 55 mph speed limit if the state wanted federal funds for the highways. A few years ago the government changed and allowed states to make the speed limit.

I am not talking about secondary roads, but rather the highways.

I actually did very well on the paper. One part of the paper compared the European "autobahn" accidents to the US highway accident rates. Of course, in order to get a special license to go any speed over there you needed 300 hours of driving with an instructor.

Anyways, I get less tickets without a detector here in CT.

trailrider894
12-08-2011, 10:00 PM
So you’re saying that as long as I’m driving a new car I can go as fast as I want?
Then there’s the fact that not everyone has the same driving skills, do you really want someone that cant drive , to be allowed to speed?
I wonder what you got on that paper you wrote.lol
It doesn’t really mater when the speed limits were set, and I would think individual municipalities would be able to set there own speed limits or at least the state should.
Example: speed traps in small towns.
You over looked the fact that all cars are allowed to be on the roadway (old and new) as long as they pass an inspection. That even means the old ones that aren’t as safe as the new ones are on the road. In rural areas you have to consider that farmers are allowed to drive there slow moving tractors on the roadway.

My point being there are many factors that go into why the speed is set for any road and there are all kinds of vehicles and pedestrians that could be traveling on the roadway. It’s not just you out there.

Yo Bent... come on dude... your betta than this. You know you mis-read what Lasher wrote bro.... Your takin it outta context. The poor guy asked about radar detectors, not to get a lecture on how bad they are.

slightlybent47
12-08-2011, 10:42 PM
No, I am not saying you should be able to drive as fast as you want. But speed limits were set many years ago and they have not changed with the cars abilities.

There a guidelines for setting speed limits. For many years the federal government mandated the 55 mph speed limit if the state wanted federal funds for the highways. A few years ago the government changed and allowed states to make the speed limit.

I am not talking about secondary roads, but rather the highways.

I actually did very well on the paper. One part of the paper compared the European "autobahn" accidents to the US highway accident rates. Of course, in order to get a special license to go any speed over there you needed 300 hours of driving with an instructor.

Anyways, I get less tickets without a detector here in CT.

You still don’t get my point; the speed limit is set for ((ALL)) cars old and new.
The limit signs don’t say new cars go 70 and old cars go 55.lol
You contradicted yourself. You said the limit was set years ago and didn’t reflect the new technology, and in the next sentence you say that they changed that a few years ago. That was 15-20 years ago. Many roads have had there speed limit changed over the years. We’ve been driving 70 mph for years now.

Yes you’re correct about the government mandating federal funds for highway maintenance and new construction. I remember why it was done; I lived through it and remember it very well. We all have seen places where the speed limit seems to not be correct for the road you’re on, and many roads have not been updated in a long time.
Traffic patterns change over time and new construction of new business and housing can change, so every road needs to be up dated every so often.

I have seen roads that actually have two deferent speeds depending on witch way you are going.lol drive one way and the speed is 55 and turn around and go back the other way on the same stretch of road and it was 45.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
12-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Slightly... Sometimes I wonder how good your reading comprehension is.

trailrider894
12-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Slightly... Sometimes I wonder how good your reading comprehension is.

Thank you!!

motofreak2772
12-09-2011, 10:54 AM
You still don’t get my point; the speed limit is set for ((ALL)) cars old and new.
The limit signs don’t say new cars go 70 and old cars go 55.lol
You contradicted yourself. You said the limit was set years ago and didn’t reflect the new technology, and in the next sentence you say that they changed that a few years ago. That was 15-20 years ago. Many roads have had there speed limit changed over the years. We’ve been driving 70 mph for years now.

Yes you’re correct about the government mandating federal funds for highway maintenance and new construction. I remember why it was done; I lived through it and remember it very well. We all have seen places where the speed limit seems to not be correct for the road you’re on, and many roads have not been updated in a long time.
Traffic patterns change over time and new construction of new business and housing can change, so every road needs to be up dated every so often.

I have seen roads that actually have two deferent speeds depending on witch way you are going.lol drive one way and the speed is 55 and turn around and go back the other way on the same stretch of road and it was 45.
Maybe if the government had higher standards for driving and the cars being driven then we could raise the speed limits. And as for your old cars go 55 new cars go 70, I think it's a great idea haha. Except it should be regulated by different color license plates or something. Like if you have a new car and have driven a certain amount of years and pass some driving course you can qualify to get a special plate that lets you go 20 over on highways. You know they would make you pay for these things too so in the end they will make a good buck off of this idea haha.

trailrider894
12-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
Maybe if the government had higher standards for driving and the cars being driven then we could raise the speed limits. And as for your old cars go 55 new cars go 70, I think it's a great idea haha. Except it should be regulated by different color license plates or something. Like if you have a new car and have driven a certain amount of years and pass some driving course you can qualify to get a special plate that lets you go 20 over on highways. You know they would make you pay for these things too so in the end they will make a good buck off of this idea haha.

I hate it... ITs just another way for the government to control us.... I like our speed limits now, leave em be!!!

fastredrider44
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Ever been passed by a crotch rocket or little sports car or something and never see it coming? It scares ya. That's why everyone has to drive the same limit. I'm all in favor of driving fast. I've gotten more than my fair share of tickets over the years. That being said, I don't condone it, and I have never seen a radar/laser detector that impressed my enough to want to buy one. I just pay the tickets. Seems like there was someone on here a few years ago that had a mustang that was set up for running road races that had some pretty sweet detector/blocker stuff in it.