PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild is done!!!

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Quad is all together minus plastics. I have a 180 main jet and a 42 pilot in it to start. Gotta pick up some cheap oil and some race gas in the morning.

Which shell/rotella oil is it that yall like to use? Need something cheap to run while I break in the motor and clutch.

Everyone wish me luck that I did everything right and that it starts and don't leak, etc.

CJM
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Rotella 15w-40, its in a white bottle

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 08:21 PM
thanks chief. So do you think 100LL from the local airstrip is fine or should I find a sunoco that sells 100 unleaded?

01boneless
12-06-2011, 08:22 PM
^^ id get the suco realy i dont think it matters tho

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I think the 100LL is cheaper but im not sure. I've heard that alot of airports won;t sell it to you unless your putting it directly in a plane. Also a couple weeks ago when i was driving past sunoco they had bags over the handle of the race gas pump

CJM
12-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I wouldnt spend the cash on LL, sunocos fine.

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
not sure of prices

crownandmonster
12-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Rotella is good oil. I would use it for the life of the bike. Run the 15w 40 in the 4 wheeler and the 5w 40 full synthetic in the pickup.

wolfe 21
12-06-2011, 09:45 PM
don't know how much water this holds, but I read an article in an old motorcyclist mag that basically said Av gas is designed for low compression, low rpm engines (most small planes red line under 3000??) and can actually do more harm than good if used in place of high octane unleaded gas in a high rpm setting. Info was for sport bikes, but I figure it still seems relevant here. Got a friend that runs it in his tractor to get an extra 5-10 hp, but he never goes more than 1800 rpm (my idle is set at 14-1500 on 400ex).
My .02, YMMV

James.

OgerWA
12-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Rotella T-6 full synthetic. Run it my street bike and the quad. Never heard a bad thing about it.

01boneless
12-07-2011, 12:20 AM
^^ thats a street bike not a quad :rolleyes: stick to 15w40 rotella in the ex

dxcody
12-07-2011, 12:43 AM
100LL is very high-quality gas....with very low water content.

Its good stuff, alot of guys i know run it in their dirtbikes that local races.

I think all the guys i talk to said they run 50/50 mix with 93.

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 05:02 AM
I'm just wanting the rotella because it's cheap. Gonna start her up and let it warm up, and then drain it to clean out all the crap that may have fallen in there over the past 2 months. Then gonna refill and ride around alittle doing alot of clutching to get the fibers out, then drain. Then refill and run it till I get the jetting right. Drain and then switch back to my Trusty Amsoil lol

Good thoughts on the fuel. If I can find it I think I'll end up buying the sunoco stuff.

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 10:39 AM
well turns out the local Citgo sells AVGAS for the Airboat guys for 4.79 a gallon. At that price I might run it full time. But for today and tomorrow I bought 2.5 gallons of Sunoco GT100 for 7.99 a gallon. Turns out only the local tracks and a Sunoco 30 miles from here are the only place to buy 110 now, but it's almost the same price.

About to go outside and fire her up!

01boneless
12-07-2011, 11:40 AM
for that price id run the av gas espicily when 93 is like 4.25

Pipeless416
12-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by OgerWA
Rotella T-6 full synthetic. Run it my street bike and the quad. Never heard a bad thing about it.

never use a full synthetic when breaking in an engine. it doesn't allow the rings to seat properly.

Pipeless416
12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
^^ thats a street bike not a quad :rolleyes: stick to 15w40 rotella in the ex

please stop giving advice when you have no clue what you're talking about. seriously, i've tried to just ignore it, but holy crap, please try to learn more before spewing your false information all over the place.

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 12:27 PM
THE BEAST IS ALIVE!!!!!

Started first crank, was alittle smoke but I think that's normal, mostly coming from the front of the head, but I think it was just oil residue burning off, espically since it continued after I shut down the motor. At first I was afraid it was an exhaust leak after yesterday's headache with the studs. I let it run for 15 mins and then changed the oil and filter. I'll keep it and run it through my beater car lol. I did a quick wash with purple power too to get rid of any other residue on the motor. I started it up again and let it run for another 15mins and now I'm letting it cool off.

And btw, I forgot how much I love the smell of burnt race fuel lol. If it wasn't $8 a gallon I might have run it all the time, if just for the smell lol.

And boneless, fortunately 93 is not that expensive around here, it's under $4 a gallon.

Also want to say thankyou to everyone who has helped me with my first build, especially CJM. And I can't wait to rub it in when I start running this thing on straight 93 pump lol, jk

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
please stop giving advice when you have no clue what you're talking about. seriously, i've tried to just ignore it, but holy crap, please try to learn more before spewing your false information all over the place.

I just lol'ed real hard

01boneless
12-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416

you best not be talking to me. i said thats a street bike not a quad duhh there diffrent sounds like your the one that knows nothing so stop pouting and ignore me if you dont like me.and also please explain to me mike what i said that was false there everyone runs rotella 15w40 in a ex. and no you cant run synthetic thats what i corrected him on im confused or your just a D***

01boneless
12-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
THE BEAST IS ALIVE!!!!!

Started first crank, was alittle smoke but I think that's normal, mostly coming from the front of the head, but I think it was just oil residue burning off, espically since it continued after I shut down the motor. At first I was afraid it was an exhaust leak after yesterday's headache with the studs. I let it run for 15 mins and then changed the oil and filter. I'll keep it and run it through my beater car lol. I did a quick wash with purple power too to get rid of any other residue on the motor. I started it up again and let it run for another 15mins and now I'm letting it cool off.

And btw, I forgot how much I love the smell of burnt race fuel lol. If it wasn't $8 a gallon I might have run it all the time, if just for the smell lol.

And boneless, fortunately 93 is not that expensive around here, it's under $4 a gallon.

Also want to say thankyou to everyone who has helped me with my first build, especially CJM. And I can't wait to rub it in when I start running this thing on straight 93 pump lol, jk

its awsome that shes runnin bro awsome job!!! sounds like a soild setup to . but im afraid if you run on strait 93 you wont be bragging youl be rebuilding imho

Baileygunns
12-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure he was talking to you and pretty sure he was right... How many street bikes have you rode let alone worked on... I bet the number is the same... ZERO.

You can't even package a hood right to ship... What makes you think you can give advice on motors? You're pretty good at copying what you hear/think is right and passing it off as your advice. You should probably stop before you put some one in a bind because they didn't know they took advice from a 15 year old clueless kid.

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
we shall see. And I will vise versa let yall rub it in all you want if it starts pinging on straight 93.

btw, can;t find any place around here that sells ethanol free gas anymore. Hell even this Sunoco 100 I have is 10-15% ethanol

01boneless
12-07-2011, 02:50 PM
screw you bailey your just mad cause the hood was broke. ok you cannot run synthetic in a 400ex right!!!!! you can in a street bike right!!!!!! so how does that make them diffrent or would you just run whatevr thro it im done here poor guy cant even have a rebuild thread with you people screwing it up with there 2 cents just trying to hate on me. when what i done and said was just fine not faulse info.

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
actually you can run synthetic in anything that you can run conventional. I run full synthetic in both my quads, and in every car I've owned.

I'm sure the no synthetic during break-in is a myth, but I just don;t wanna waste $11 a quart oil for a 15min breakin.

Baileygunns
12-07-2011, 02:58 PM
You're right... You F-ed me on the hood you sent in a bag... Then told me you didn't put it in a bag after I sent you pics of the BAG in came in...

Please tell me why you cant run synthetic in a quad... I would love to know. I've been turning wrenches longer then you have been alive... Please school me and I will never doubt you mechanical ability again.

duneslider
12-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Not that I want to be part of a pudding match, but why can't you run an ex on synthetic. I run mine with mobil 1 and it seems to do just great.

Most AV gas has lead which is helpful for a little extra lubrication. Heard it might even run a little cooler but haven't verified that.

You certainly can break a motor in on synthetic. They do it on corvettes just to name one, they have Mobil 1 from the factory.

Keep your gas fresh helps too. The octane drops by sitting in plastic tanks and gas cans. Drain your tank and use metal cans for storage. Stabilizer helps too.

Congested on the rebuild!

01boneless
12-07-2011, 03:00 PM
ok so you CAN but its not recomended because the ex's have a wet clutch.rotella 15w40 is what almost everyone on here will tell you to run id like someone to point out what it was i said wrong and h*** ill admit to it. but anyway glad you got your quad done have you rode it yet noticeable diffrence?

01boneless
12-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
You're right... You F-ed me on the hood you sent in a bag... Then told me you didn't put it in a bag after I sent you pics of the BAG in came in...

Please tell me why you cant run synthetic in a quad... I would love to know. I've been turning wrenches longer then you have been alive... Please school me and I will never doubt you mechanical ability again.

TWO words WET CLUTCH! everytime i ran it in a 400ex the clutch sliped changed to 15w40 rt and fixed it. and stop crying about the hood i told you if wasent shiped in a bag this or nor the time or place for that send me a pm if your still pouting.this is coming from experience maybe the clutch was going bad in mine but i know it never done it after rotella

Baileygunns
12-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Synthetic has nothing to do with a wet clutch it's the friction additives in the oil... Now quit giving advice.

Honda recomends HP4S... Go look it up.

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 03:04 PM
many synthetics are wet-clutch compatable. Most ATFs are synthetic.

going riding tomorrow. Actually I'm riding with kiser and ballance again tomorrow. Gotta have them sign my fender. I'm sure I won't feel much difference yet because I'm still on a stock pipe.

01boneless
12-07-2011, 03:05 PM
^^ no i dont think i will .make me! anyways back to the rebuild. might aswell delet this waist of time

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 03:08 PM
^^ no i dont think i will .make me! anyways back to the rebuild. might aswell delet this waist of time

Listen there is nothing wrong with repeating knowledge and opinions learned from others, that is what most people do. Most people aren't gonna go out and retest every theory they hear. If it works then go with it. Just add a little disclaimer that it's not first-hand knowledge and not "IMHO"

01boneless
12-07-2011, 03:12 PM
ok i got carried away as did pipeless and bailey IMHO i apoligize cant belive this is over dumb oil when there all in realality the same oil the dollar general has. haha still i did not spew no false info rotella is still the only thing to run IMHO

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
what they are dogging you on is why is rotella the only way to go in your "high" opinion. What else have you tried? what were the results?

The bad experience you had with synthetic; what brand exactly was it? Maybe it was not one designed to run in a wet-clutch motor.

01boneless
12-07-2011, 03:17 PM
dude CJM steve ron i belive all run rotella the DANG masters of the 400ex's and they run it. and the brand of the synthetic was mobile 1 i belive. and i ruint a day of riding becuase it sliped so bad.

HondaRacing83
12-07-2011, 03:19 PM
i run yamalube or gn4. lately yamalube

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
dude CJM steve ron i belive all run rotella the DANG masters of the 400ex's and they run it. and the brand of the synthetic was mobile 1 i belive. and i ruint a day of riding becuase it sliped so bad.

was it this?
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

if not, it most likely was not the right kind.

I've run the stuff in the link before with good results

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
i run yamalube or gn4. lately yamalube

there is something inherently wrong with putting yamalube in a honda lol. unless it's trailside and you borrowed it from a fellow rider of the tuning fork tribe

01boneless
12-07-2011, 03:28 PM
^^think thats it i cant remember .

CJM
12-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Ive ran rotella and mobil 1. I liked mobil 1 15w-50 better for the higher temps in the summer but its to thick for colder then 50-60F outside imho.

So long as the oil is made for a wet clutch system you can use it. If the bottle says energy conserving or something similar ANYWHERE on it DO not run it in a wet clutch system. FWIW a synthetic oil usually will hold up better under use than a conventional oil b/c of the additives.

In my truck and the trucks at workw e only use mobil clean 5000, its a semi synthetic iirc. never had an issue either.

powerbomb400
12-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Rotella is run by several people I know and they have had good results. I'm a Castrol nut. I've run it in my vehicles and my tractor. I run it in all of our quads. I like it cause its always been promoted that resists thermal breakdown. But to each his own. "Let's ride and go that way"

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Ive ran rotella and mobil 1. I liked mobil 1 15w-50 better for the higher temps in the summer but its to thick for colder then 50-60F outside imho.

So long as the oil is made for a wet clutch system you can use it. If the bottle says energy conserving or something similar ANYWHERE on it DO not run it in a wet clutch system. FWIW a synthetic oil usually will hold up better under use than a conventional oil b/c of the additives.

In my truck and the trucks at workw e only use mobil clean 5000, its a semi synthetic iirc. never had an issue either.

actually the mobil 5000 is fully conventional

05DodgeDakota
12-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Rotella has always been popular in the diesel community too iirc

Pipeless416
12-07-2011, 04:06 PM
you're right boneless. i'm wrong. i'm stupid and i don't even have any first hand experience with 400ex's or anything mechanical. i bow down to your years of knowledge. :chinese:

01boneless
12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Well thanks mike!!! :D

OgerWA
12-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Sorry to OP for thread jack. I have learned that oil questions should be taboo when it comes to forum topics. Glad you got it running again.

CJM
12-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
actually the mobil 5000 is fully conventional

never knew that one. Wonder if they just claim the additives in it or something help?

crownandmonster
12-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
never knew that one. Wonder if they just claim the additives in it or something help?

Mobil 5000 is fully conventional, but they claim its got x% more detergents. They also discontinued making it so you might want to thing about switching brands.