PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues

450Rfutureracer
12-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Ok the deal is that my 06 450ER is having a real hard time starting. I put in a new battery back in march or april and am guessing that t isn't the problem because it seems like there is plenty of juice to start it. But when i hit my starter button i hear the starter just spinning and not even trying to turn the motor over every once in a while it will try and turnover but it barely works, starting to thing I need a new starter but asking for advice before I drop over $200 on a new starter. Thanks everyone

Scro
12-06-2011, 06:20 PM
It's more than likely your starter clutch. They are known for going bad. Good thing is, it's an easy fix that you can do yourself with little mechanical knowledge and tools. It's fairly rare that the actual starter will go bad.

blacknblue#2
12-06-2011, 06:22 PM
One way bearing. Its a common problem on the ER. If you look at the parts breakdown i believe they call it the starter clutch buts ive always called it a one way bearing. I would almost promise ya that will fix your problem

Scro
12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
When you take the starter clutch out, it should only turn one-way.

Here's the parts list. (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=448092)