PDA

View Full Version : houser aarms with 400 spindles

250x_kyle
12-06-2011, 04:05 PM
is anyone running houser trx250r aarms with 400ex spindles. im putting a set on my hybrid and the balljoints wont pull threw the spindles. already called houser and they told me they should fit right up.

deathman53
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
the balljoints have a taper to them. When I put lsr dc-4 a-arms on 89 spindles, it was hard to get them to seat all the way. Most all the a-arm guys use the same ball joints, 16mm 1.5 tie-rod ends off a VW bettle or small truck. the older ones used 14mm ones from a similar vehicle. MOOG sells a special one they sell to major guys(it has a slightly higher max angle to it than standard tie-rod ends). What you might have to do is tighten them up as much as possible, go for a quick ride, you will find they are now really loose.

250x_kyle
12-06-2011, 09:34 PM
main problem is im building the quad from the ground up and thats the last thing i can do until i get a few more parts in. just didnt know since they are 400ex spindles wether they needed a slight taper ream or not. thanks

D Bergstrom
12-06-2011, 10:13 PM
What do you mean they won't "pull threw"? Do the studs actually not sit down in the spindles, or is it when you tighten the nuts, do the ball joints just spin? If it is just the joints just spin, that is pretty common, you have to find a way to bind up the studs. I always get the quad completely back together on is wheels, then press down on the front bumper to put pressure on the joints and that allows the nuts to turn on the studs.

Doug

250x_kyle
12-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
What do you mean they won't "pull threw"? Do the studs actually not sit down in the spindles, or is it when you tighten the nuts, do the ball joints just spin? If it is just the joints just spin, that is pretty common, you have to find a way to bind up the studs. I always get the quad completely back together on is wheels, then press down on the front bumper to put pressure on the joints and that allows the nuts to turn on the studs.

Doug

they will not seat down in as far as they should. the stud is not turning i have it in enough of a bind that it wont spin; however the nut is on and the taper is seated as far into the spindle as i can get it to go. the thread on the stud itself is not even one thread out of the nut.

D Bergstrom
12-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Hmmm, not sure what is going on. Are your ball joints from Houser? or are they parts store tie rods? If they are parts store, maybe the wrong ends were purchased and they have the wrong taper? If they are Houser, I have no idea, I always thought all ball joints have the same taper and would fit in just about any atv spindle. Hope you get it figured out.

Doug

250x_kyle
12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
these were purchased direct from houser this is why im a little confused. im going to bust out the calipers tomarrow and do some press fit calculations to see if its even possible for it to pull down into the spindle.