PDA

View Full Version : exhaust studs

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 09:50 AM
so I was putting my exhaust back on and then figured out that I had to remove the exhaust again to put on my oversized oil tank. Well I guess when I put the headpipe on I over torqued the nuts because now the studs are bent aand the threads are ****ed up from trying to get the flanges off of the bent studs. How F**ked am I?

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Ok I was able to get the headpipe flanges off, and it seems the threads are ok, I was able to get a nut to go on each stud all the way and they seem to have been bent back in the process. Should I replace them anyways? Or is the risk of breaking them too great? And can it do it with the head on the engine?

Also just doing the mock-up, how in the hell are you supposed to put the headpipe on with this oversized oil tank. And this is just the stock pipe, not even the curtis I'm going to order...

I'm so tired of all the headaches that have come up during this build.......

CJM
12-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Ah young padawan you have much to learn.

I got mine on with my oversized oil tank very easily once I figured out 2 things:
1. Remove the clutch cable so its out of the way
2. Dont put the oil tank on, just let it sit there, bolt it up when your done.

Anyways tbh Id replace them if it were me-BUT you run a huge risk of the suckers snapping off in the head b/c they seem to be made of rather soft metal. Id leave it alone if you think they might snap.

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
I did both those things, like I said it's just mock-up. I know those tricks ;).

But I can't get the headpipe on there for the life of me lol

CJM
12-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Dunno then man, I had a hard time with mine too till I figured out those tricks.

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 11:38 AM
finally got it in there! Question is should I go ahead and bolt it up or should I wait till I can order my sparks given the condition of my exhaust studs? I did do the headpipe grind mod btw.

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Anyone got a torque measurement for the joint nut that goes on to the exhaust stud?

CJM
12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
I never torqued them with a wrench, just by hand. I worked back and forth and tightening them a bit at a time (each nut on each header pipe). Then I snugged them, then I rode a day and snugged them again.

You dont need to make them SUPER tight, just enough to crush the gaskets. Ive seen people make them so tight they bend the flanges.

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I never torqued them with a wrench, just by hand. I worked back and forth and tightening them a bit at a time (each nut on each header pipe). Then I snugged them, then I rode a day and snugged them again.

You dont need to make them SUPER tight, just enough to crush the gaskets. Ive seen people make them so tight they bend the flanges.

that is exactly what I did lol, my flanges are bent. The studs were bent too but i just put a nut on the end and smacked'em with a hammer till I could get the flanges on. The oil tank and exhaust are on now. About to rejet and then install carb and airbox while I'm sitting here waiting for UPS to drop off my clutch.

mineralgrey01gt
12-06-2011, 04:18 PM
How long before your new exhaust comes in? No reason to bolt it up if a new one is coming soon.

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
How long before your new exhaust comes in? No reason to bolt it up if a new one is coming soon.

haven't ordered it yet, gotta wait till the wife okays it first. I'm already 2k deep into this build and she aint happy lol

pbblaster2
12-06-2011, 07:31 PM
remove studs get new ones they are like 3 bucks each, if you dont know how to remove them get two nuts place on stud, heat stud and remove....

05DodgeDakota
12-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I'll probably replace them when I get my sparks. There actually only $0.99 cent each. Just afraid of breaking them off in the head

Stickman400
12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I THINK the studs on the head are 20 lb/ft. I'll check my shop manual again to be sure. It's either 17 or 20 because I just torqued mine down last week and remember checking what they were also.