PDA

View Full Version : Quad Not Running for a Month

QuadTrix6
02-27-2003, 08:25 PM
hey guys, ok, i am waiting on a rear shock rebuild and a arms so my quad will be sitting for about 4-5 weeks, i have it on a stand, but is there n e thing i should do to it to prep it for this time not running, should i run it every now and then to keep things fresh..any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

trx400ex
02-27-2003, 08:30 PM
a month isnt bad, just start it up every week or other and run for a couple 3 minutes or so....mine hasnt ran since july, just got it together last week and it blew up after i cranked it the first time...hows that for luck?

02-27-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
a month isnt bad, just start it up every week or other and run for a couple 3 minutes or so....mine hasnt ran since july, just got it together last week and it blew up after i cranked it the first time...hows that for luck?

Dude..are you serious??? WTF..:(

-=Skot=-
02-27-2003, 08:37 PM
That's some *****ty luck bro:uhoh:

trx400ex
02-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Yeah well i dont want to take over this thread, but i got the engine back (im not going to say who built it just yet although some people know) and when we ran it it ran fine for about 20 seconds then [insert mechanical noise here] and we opened it up and found one bent brand new OS intake valve and one broken valve bouncing around ontop of the piston. It didnt go over to well with the head or the piston. And we also found the retainers floating around in the oil. Sorry again quadtrix.

And my banshee blew up and runined the crank but hey its ok theres still stuff left to smash in the garage.:(

toby400ex
02-27-2003, 09:12 PM
get a battery tender, your batteryis prolly gonna be dead when you get it all back together:o

400grl
02-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Make sure you turn your gas off and let it run until it runs the carb out of gas.....otherwise you might gunk up your carb and you will need to get it cleaned.

02-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Yeah well i dont want to take over this thread, but i got the engine back (im not going to say who built it just yet although some people know) and when we ran it it ran fine for about 20 seconds then [insert mechanical noise here] and we opened it up and found one bent brand new OS intake valve and one broken valve bouncing around ontop of the piston. It didnt go over to well with the head or the piston. And we also found the retainers floating around in the oil. Sorry again quadtrix.

And my banshee blew up and runined the crank but hey its ok theres still stuff left to smash in the garage.:(

IS this engine builder gonna fix what they jacked up???

Last I heard you was sendin it to TC racing...:o

Sparks425Ex
02-27-2003, 10:06 PM
That ain't bad man. I haven;t ridin in about 6 months. Quad is almost done. Waitin on some stuff from Pap and then I gotta get Back Rims and Tires.

You should cut that hunk of stuff ont he bottom of your Front Fender. There is way to much plastic there. O yeah and Take off those Axis Stickers since ya have PEPs......;)

xcntry
02-27-2003, 11:23 PM
I 'm an OTR truck driver and I go out 6weeks at a time so I'm always leaving mine sit.It's no big deal just turn off the gas then run the quad till it quit's then put the choke on full and run it till it quit's again. That will empty the carb. Also it's not a bad idea to go to walmart and get some STA-BIL it's rad and comes in different sizes this keeps the fuel in your tank fresh indefinetly! Thats all there is to it it will be fine.As long as your battery is less than say 3trs old it should hold its charge no problem. Just remember to turn the gas back on and pump the throttle when it's ready to start it back up. so you dont run the battery down trying to restart it.:D

xcntry
02-27-2003, 11:25 PM
I 'm an OTR truck driver and I go out 6weeks at a time so I'm always leaving mine sit.It's no big deal just turn off the gas then run the quad till it quit's then put the choke on full and run it till it quit's again. That will empty the carb. Also it's not a bad idea to go to walmart and get some STA-BIL it's red and comes in different sizes this keeps the fuel in your tank fresh indefinetly! Thats all there is to it it will be fine.As long as your battery is less than say 3yrs old it should hold its charge no problem. Just remember to turn the gas back on and pump the throttle when it's ready to start it back up. so you dont run the battery down trying to restart it.:D

02-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Explain that one more time I didn't catch it the first 2 times...;) :D

2K1 300EX
02-28-2003, 12:04 AM
My has been sitting on the front porch since July and hasn't been messed with because it needed a bigger pilot jet but I have been working out of town for the last few months and finally got a chance to go home for the weekend and I got it running in about 20 minutes. New tank of gas was all it needed.

trx400ex
02-28-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Rico
IS this engine builder gonna fix what they jacked up???

Last I heard you was sendin it to TC racing...:o

It wasnt TC, i wanted it done before i got to old to race.
Im waiting to see what theyll do....i always expect the worst in situations like this.

wheeltrax
02-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Hopefully they fix it free for ya, since it was probably there fault. good luck. Breakdowns suck.

Str8Wicked
02-28-2003, 02:36 PM
In the summer here in Los Angeles, I only ride about once a month if I'm lucky due to the heat. I leave the quad sitting all the time and haven't had a problem. Even in the winter thou I only have time to take it out maybe twice a month, 3 times if I'm lucky....

forum
02-28-2003, 03:24 PM
a month don't matter. even a year. any more just change the oil and gas. two years without any matenence your askin for trouble. drain the carb if your gonna let it sit that long. and spray some fogging oil in the air intake while running it till it quits. that way the cylinder wall is coated nicely.

sparks400ex101
02-28-2003, 04:38 PM
hey quad trix, where did you get those headlight covers i want to order black ones like that for my red ex:)

02-28-2003, 05:07 PM

well that sucks lol

400exRacerX
02-28-2003, 06:45 PM
You don't need a battery charger or to start it. Just leave it alone and you'll be fine.

I left my motor for about 5 months and started it and it fired like a champ. One thing I reccomend is before you start it a month from now, put the kill switch on and crank the motor for 20 seconds to circulate the oil. And BTW your battery won't go dead in a month, especially mounted on the bike.

Norm

Dave400ex
02-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Last I knew he was thinking about sending it to Pro Fab.

02-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by sparks400ex101
hey quad trix, where did you get those headlight covers i want to order black ones like that for my red ex:)

its from the exriders store:cool:

QuadTrix6
03-01-2003, 08:21 AM
thanks for all the help guys :cool:

QuadRacer041
03-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
Make sure you turn your gas off and let it run until it runs the carb out of gas.....otherwise you might gunk up your carb and you will need to get it cleaned.

i love it when women know cars and quads, thats awsome.

:eek2: