PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450x questions...

fx4pitrone
12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Looking into purchasing a used YFZ450x Ballance Ed...... Just wanted to hear some feedback from people on here that have them...

Pros?
Cons?

I have an 09LTZ400 EFI right now, and ride 99% tight, technical, wet, very rocky trails... how would the YFZ fair in this kind of condition? (mostly 1st and 2nd gear riding!)

Thanks in advance!

Kovatch
12-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Whether it is an R or X, the power is no comparison... definitely better on a Yami. One thing to watch is the R/X bog a little on really low rpm when you stab the throttle. This is fixed with an MSD ignition box. Any sort of quick stab to the throttle off of idle it bogs & wants to stall.

If you don't want the MSD, just roll on the throttle slower instead of an all out stab. That coupled with a sprocket change will give you more low end than you could ask for. Don't let that discourage you. It is very easy to overcome/learn how the throttle reacts.

The shocks will be superior with more travel on the X, which will help on the rocks, etc. They are highly adjustable hi-low speed comp, rebound, etc.

XCRacer236
12-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Kovatch
Whether it is an R or X, the power is no comparison... definitely better on a Yami. One thing to watch is the R/X bog a little on really low rpm when you stab the throttle. This is fixed with an MSD ignition box. Any sort of quick stab to the throttle off of idle it bogs & wants to stall.

If you don't want the MSD, just roll on the throttle slower instead of an all out stab. That coupled with a sprocket change will give you more low end than you could ask for. Don't let that discourage you. It is very easy to overcome/learn how the throttle reacts.

The shocks will be superior with more travel on the X, which will help on the rocks, etc. They are highly adjustable hi-low speed comp, rebound, etc.

Couldn't have said it better myself. X also has a different ECU map than the R, it is more designed for that type of riding.

6-ply tires, a sprocket change, belly skidplate, sprocket/rotor guards and your set!

RNL
12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
How would you compare the YFZ450x to the new 2012 YFZ they came back out with? I read they modded the motor to have Raptor like torque. I'm looking at either a base 2012 YFz450 or a leftover 450x soon.

XCRacer236
12-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by RNL
How would you compare the YFZ450x to the new 2012 YFZ they came back out with? I read they modded the motor to have Raptor like torque. I'm looking at either a base 2012 YFz450 or a leftover 450x soon.

The 2012 is the exact same as the 08/09 standard with these changes..

-Front brake calipers
-Steel handlebars
-Front shocks
-Different cam
-Different carb (the biggest difference)

I think that's it. IMO, the 08/09 is the best YFZ ever built. I would find one of those..

400grl
12-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Just for the suspension alone, I'd go with the 450x.....excellent right out of the box.