PDA

View Full Version : linkage vs. no link

hartwill
12-05-2011, 06:19 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before. I'm just curious in how they compare. I'm pretty sure stock linkage is inferior to cr 500 but how do they all compare? I also heard you can use a banshee rear shock without linkage on a stock style swing arm, Anybody done this?

deathman53
12-05-2011, 07:53 AM
its apples to oranges and grapes. Generally speaking, cr500 is for mx, no-link is xc and stock a happy middle ground that doesn't excel at anything. I have a stock link and no-link, I see a difference, but not a huge one.

gtilley45
12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I has a LSR CRF that was a no link rear, and now I have a Walsh YZ that has the CR500 linkage. The no link is a pretty decent setup when it's set up right. It handles rough, choppy stuff and whoops really well, and is very good on jumps. I've always heard that the CR500 link and the no link worked about the same, except that the CR500 link is better on bigger jumps. From what little I can tell so far, I'd go along with that. It's hard to say for sure though, my rear shock is set up WAY too light for me.

atvmxr
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
i thought I read somewhere that the no-link was more prone to "packing up" and not tracking straight through fast whoops. packing up= shock cant rebound fast enough to soak up next hit

I think in truth, most of us will never ride fast enough for any of them to make much difference - just the pros and etc. that can ride 110% all day. Im sure there is a mental benefit for us average riders though! :D

89trx250r
12-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah i recall reading that the Cr500 link was far superior when just ripping thru the whoops. I am also pretty sure the TT guys love no-link setups.

hontrx265r
12-05-2011, 03:35 PM
In my experience, the no link to me works best ALL around. Cr500 takes big jumps, and whoops well but, does not like huge square edge surprises. Its my belief that because the 500 builds progression so fast it doesn't react well in that situation. So really benefit is based on where you ride, how fast you are, and what you want from the suspension.
Personal example my choices would be
Trails: stock/cr/no link
Desert: no link
Dunes: no link
MX: no link/ cr
TT Flat: no link/stock

Thing is not all no links are created equal, this opinion is based off the dc4/roll type no link. I do not feel lsr's/laegers older dc2 style works as well. (shock is shorter, which does not allow the valving to work as well)

dustin_j
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
GT Thunder has a nice article on their website explaining some of the general differences.

http://www.gtthunder.com/Suspensions.htm

2-330s
12-05-2011, 06:13 PM
good read thanks! there is also some weight savings with a no link.

quadfmx
12-16-2011, 06:23 PM
ive been going through the same thing if you want alot of info on it pm me and ill email you pages and pages on it,

but its not fair to say cr500 is mx no link is XC
jeremiah jones won a national title one year on a no link the next on the cr500,

laegers made both cr500 and no link,
email laegers and they will tell you the cr500 is the better of the 2 hands down,
but it all depends on how your shock is setup,
but granted the no link would provide yu with more ground clearance in XC,
but every quad that is competitive now uses a linkage except KTM,
and if u look at he yamaha link its very similiar to the cr500 link

im building one of each, but ive also heard if its etup right and ur not a pro rider you would not be able to tell the difference,
but if u want info on it pm me

ytman
12-16-2011, 07:26 PM
I've actually smashed my skid plate up so far that it kept the stock linkage and shock from rebounding all the way,lowering the back of the quad. No link for rocks

Burns310r
12-17-2011, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by ytman
I've actually smashed my skid plate up so far that it kept the stock linkage and shock from rebounding all the way,lowering the back of the quad. No link for rocks

I think this is why people generally say no link for XC. you dont have to worry about damaging your shock and linkage. Its not about performance as much as it is reliability.

quadfmx
12-17-2011, 08:01 PM
I understand but does the cr500 link hang any lower than the 450 links?
Granted I picked no link to build an xc r but it was from posts like this etc,
There was several pro racers running cr500,
I had a list of a few, if I can find it i will and post

Skyman
12-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Ok I'm guessing the cr500 link setup works for the 250r? Yes or no?...
If yes, I must still be in stone ages..
If the cr500 linkage and shock work on the 250r do you need the cr swinger arm too?

Fred Fintstone

deathman53
12-27-2011, 12:36 PM
yes, you need a different swingarm and frame modified. I know of a guy who has a cr500 link swingarm he will sell cheap. PM me for info about it.

Skyman
12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
What's the frame mod intail?

deathman53
12-29-2011, 03:26 PM
relocating top shock mount up and left. also cr500 linkage brackets. the seat pan needs to be modified also. Walsh sells the brackets and placement to convert a stock frame to cr500 link.

blacknblue#2
01-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Im building a strictly trail R.....just something to take with me on our yearly trips to hatfield and such. Im thinking of going No Link rear. WIill the rear banshee shock work for this?? Im not looking to buy aftermarket, Just cant justify that price. I Got a set of almost new 400EX fronts just looking for what will work to make it a no-link in the rear??