PDA

View Full Version : What degree?

BoneStockHonda
12-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Ok guys so I have a week left in my first semester of college. My intended major is mechanical engineering cause my entire life I loved working on stuff and building things. All through high school I took a ton of shop and technology classes and always did pretty good in math and science.

However it wasn't till about August that I really get an idea of what engineering is like and realized I don't think its for me so I'm planning on switching my major.

I don't really know what else to go for because I was basically dead set on engineering since middle school. I've always been interested in photography/videography and stuff like video editing and Photoshop and was trying to find a degree that would get me a job doing something like that.

I've been doing some research online and can't really find what I'm looking for. Most of the degrees I find are more focused on the marketing aspect of things. I feel like it would be something like graphic design or media arts related and was hoping someone can help me narrow it down to what degrees to look for.

-Thanks
Matt

audioworks04
12-05-2011, 06:06 AM
I feel like you are alot like me, I grew up using my hands and building things always did great in shop classes and science classes....not so much math. I went to college thinking engineering degree also, but ended up switch to construction science. With this degree you have alot of engineering classes and are a leaps ahead of most construction management degrees. Main fall back here is that a construction science degree isnt offered by very many colleges. Let me know if you have any other questions.

beastlywarrior
12-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Thats exactly where i was but i ended up sticking it out and im still going for it but at akron they have a degree called mechanical engineering technology. you should into majoring in that. Or im sure theres something with machining and cnc

motofreak2772
12-05-2011, 07:12 AM
How far in are you, and why don't you like it exactly? I'm going in for mechanical next fall.
As for the major, I would think that you would have to switch schools. You would need to go to a more art oriented school.

honda400ex2003
12-05-2011, 07:26 AM
i cant offer much help, im one of dose der egnieeerrsssss.

Mech eng for me all the way.

Steve

honda250xrider
12-05-2011, 08:21 AM
don't worry on average a person changes major's 3 times throughout their college career.

In all honesty very few people go into college knowing excatly what they want to do for the rest of their life. that is what college is all about, trying new experiences and finding out what it is "you" really enjoy doing.

Choose some courses next quarter to broaden your horizons, you may find out that you like something completely different than what you would of thought.

Quad18star
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I did Civil Engineering and after graduation realized it wasn't my type of work so I decided to go back and took Mining Engineering and loved it. In fact I landed a job with a Mining company before I graduated.

Took a look around, you may enjoy a different type of Engineering and possibly be able to transfer several of your credits.

400exrider707
12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Well why do you think you don't want this degree now?

I had no clue what I wanted to do. I knew I liked wrenching on stuff, and I knew being a mechanic wasn't going to pay me what I wanted, so mech engineering is what I did. My first real job was fun, but wasn't really what I wanted to do, and I contemplated going back for a different degree. However, since then I've started a new job in a different field and love it. I'm glad I stuck with it, and I probably would do it the same way if I had to do it again.

CJM
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
What other interests do you have-that often will help you choose another path.

Im going for criminal justice, but who knows where I will truly end up. I really wanted to be a local patrolmen if anything since I enjoy being out and being busy.

Id grab one of thier degree books and see what they offer and see what spikes your interests.

BoneStockHonda
12-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
How far in are you, and why don't you like it exactly? I'm going in for mechanical next fall.
As for the major, I would think that you would have to switch schools. You would need to go to a more art oriented school.

I'm almost done with my first semester and the part that is killing me is the calculus. I didn't get to take it till my senior year of high school and by the time I realized I didn't like it was a little late.

Thanks for the input guys I've been browsing the course book. I'm trying to find something that interests me.

brian76708
12-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by BoneStockHonda
I'm almost done with my first semester and the part that is killing me is the calculus. I didn't get to take it till my senior year of high school and by the time I realized I didn't like it was a little late.

Thanks for the input guys I've been browsing the course book. I'm trying to find something that interests me.

ha, i did the exact same thing as you. after failing a math class i didn't like all the stress and changed degree's. ended up getting a degree in automation technology. well almost i have 1 class to finish. I got a job in the field 4 months ago and i like it so far been so busy i haven't been able to finish my degree. So what do i do with this degree you may ask i fix robotic systems/ program. Still learning a lot and have come to realize school is just a foot in the door. I have learned more in the last 4 months then i did in school.

Quad18star
12-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
ha, i did the exact same thing as you. after failing a math class i didn't like all the stress and changed degree's. ended up getting a degree in automation technology. well almost i have 1 class to finish. I got a job in the field 4 months ago and i like it so far been so busy i haven't been able to finish my degree. So what do i do with this degree you may ask i fix robotic systems/ program. Still learning a lot and have come to realize school is just a foot in the door. I have learned more in the last 4 months then i did in school.

Word of advice .... get that last class finished. You never know when you can be laid off from work and then kick yourself in the rear because you don't have that degree done. I got caught like that ..... got hired on by a company with a few classes left... got so busy with work that I put it off ... then got screwed over when the company had to downsize. I was left standing there with no job and no degree to my name... it made it hard to find a job ... everyone wants to see the paperwork.

motofreak2772
12-05-2011, 10:25 PM

If it's just the math, don't let it discourage you. I don't know how strong you are in math, but it could just be the professor. Try to take it with someone else. And yeah, engineering uses math everywhere but once you practice and understand it you will be glad you finished. You can't go wrong with a degree in engineering either, you can always go back and do something else later, but coming back 5 years from now to do thermodynamics does not sound like a good idea to me haha.
I'm finishing Calc I now and it honestly wasn't too bad. As long as you can keep up with it, it is pretty straight forward. We'll see how the rest of them go though lol.

brian76708
12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Word of advice .... get that last class finished. You never know when you can be laid off from work and then kick yourself in the rear because you don't have that degree done. I got caught like that ..... got hired on by a company with a few classes left... got so busy with work that I put it off ... then got screwed over when the company had to downsize. I was left standing there with no job and no degree to my name... it made it hard to find a job ... everyone wants to see the paperwork.

thanks, i plan on it just trying to find a online class to take. I tried taking the class last semester but i had to drop it because of work. It doesn't help i have a 1.25 hour commute. Its really hard when you work a lot and have to travel all over the country as well.

beastlywarrior
12-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Honestly everyone struggles through calc. Im at the rate now of taking each one twice before i pass

BoneStockHonda
12-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
Honestly everyone struggles through calc. Im at the rate now of taking each one twice before i pass

The only problem with that is that I need Calculus II as a co-requisite for Physics so if I have to retake Calc I have to put off Physics which I think is gonna screw me.

BoneStockHonda
12-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
If it's just the math, don't let it discourage you. I don't know how strong you are in math, but it could just be the professor. Try to take it with someone else. And yeah, engineering uses math everywhere but once you practice and understand it you will be glad you finished.

I've been pretty strong in math for most of life but Calc is like a foreign language to me. I get the basic stuff like derivatives and anti-derivatives bu most of the other stuff just doesn't click.

I'm also considering transferring schools and I don't know whether to register for Calc I or II because I'm not sure if I'm gonna pass my final.

Balaz_73*00
12-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Any class in possible if you put your mind to it. I've been graduated for a year now. Starting class in the spring again to get my CPA. Reflecting back, school is so much more fun than working. Yea it takes alot of time and dedication, but I know I can pass any class in any field if you give me a book. Its all about studying and staying on top of your assignments and lessons. Once you fall behind, or don't understand a topic that gets built on, youre screwed. $0.02 Just focus guy, and you can do anything you want.

beastlywarrior
12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
The only problem with that is that I need Calculus II as a co-requisite for Physics so if I have to retake Calc I have to put off Physics which I think is gonna screw me. Na thats what i had to do