PDA

View Full Version : First honda

rf928
12-04-2011, 09:43 PM
So I am hoping to look at a 02 400ex sometime soon.

I have zero knowledge on this quad. What should I look for? is there a year to avoid? Any major problems?

Thank you so much

CJM
12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Almost all of them are pretty reliable, hopefully the one your looking at is mostly stock-I myself dont trust people when they modify stuff.

Check for signs of oil leaks, go over it with a fine tooth comb. Ask if its ever been modified-if it has ask if its been jetted and by whom. Check over the quad for missing fasteners, broken items, if the frame has excessive wear behind the footpegs its been ridden ALOT, check for smoke and how well it runs, should idle nicely. If it smokes RUN. It will be hard to start up, usually they all take a bit to get going unless its been jetted perfect.

01boneless
12-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If it smokes RUN

best advise ever!!!!!!!!! if it even puff so much as a tiny bit after its warmed for a few sec's dont even think about it unless you like rebuilding :P

rf928
12-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Ok thank you.

I found one ad that said, "runs good but takes in coolant so it smoke pretty good"

I didn't go any further.

I hope to maybe look at it this week if the roads allow.

Here are the mods:

Nerf Bars
New Back Fenders
Shaved Front Fenders
Renthal Handle Bars
New holeshots all round
Blue Steel Itp Rims
t4 Pipe
New fluids
Oil Filter 0 Rings Gasket
Fmf Jet kit
K&n Airfilter
Aftermarket Rear Hubs

The blue rims look so dorky haha.

Thank you once again

finsteratv
12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
these bikes dont have coolant...

mineralgrey01gt
12-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Id leave that one alone. I found mine for $500 and it so called needed a tranny and a new carburetor put on it. Took it home, cleaned the carb fired right up, took the clutch cover off and noticed the shifter star was extremely loose. Tightened it up and it was a perfect bike

rf928
12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Coolant: Another example of my ignorance.

finsteratv
12-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by rf928
Coolant: Another example of my ignorance.
Thankgod you can admit it! haha 400ex's are pretty solid all around but look out for the basics. oh check the oil level too..

tbrackman84
12-07-2011, 02:36 PM
when i was looking for one, I came across some of these problems; loose subframe, BAD bushings in the front end, dents on the wheels will tell you if it has been beaten, same with skid plates, see if the chain and clutch seem to be in adjustement.. etc. It's good to try to gauge the person selling it to see if they were competent with maintenance and whatnot...