PDA

View Full Version : mods for trail riding

djwilliams0822
12-04-2011, 07:18 PM
What are some good mods to help trail riding? I have a +2 axle stock a arms, unit filter airbox lid off, full skid plate, stock exhaust (need to get an exhaust but try to keep it quiet), anti vibe handle bar, 440 kit, stock gearing . I am looking. For mostly handling upgrades but I could use some performance upgrades besides exhaust. I don't want the front wider. Do you have any ideas?

caseywoods5
12-04-2011, 07:24 PM
a steering stabilizer would help you out for trail riding, a good set of tires (holeshot hd, razr2, kenda kutter xc, etc.), motoworks exhaust is good for low/mid and is very quiet (you can be down to 93 db's with them, not sure if that's with the quiet core or not though), if you're doing tight trails then going up 1-2 teeth on your back sprocket will give you more bottom end torque, some trx450r front shocks, revalve your rear shock to your weight and for xc riding... this should have you just about golden

finsteratv
12-04-2011, 07:26 PM
a good cam to compliment woods.

djwilliams0822
12-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I've got good tires and 450rI shocks. How much does it cost to get your suspension revalved? And are the rebuildable steering stabilizers any good?

caseywoods5
12-04-2011, 09:17 PM
i think you can get the back shock revalved by gt thunder for about 75 dollars but don't quote me on this... you can check into it to be sure though. i can't remember which steering stabilizer is best right off.

OgerWA
12-04-2011, 10:07 PM
If you do tight trails get a good set of nerf bars. They help keep the rear tires from hooking on stumps and trees.

Thumpin440ex
12-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by caseywoods5
a steering stabilizer would help you out for trail riding, a good set of tires (holeshot hd, razr2, kenda kutter xc, etc.), motoworks exhaust is good for low/mid and is very quiet (you can be down to 93 db's with them, not sure if that's with the quiet core or not though), if you're doing tight trails then going down 1-2 teeth on your back sprocket will give you more bottom end torque, some trx450r front shocks, revalve your rear shock to your weight and for xc riding... this should have you just about golden

Pretty good info here, but you will want to go up in size on the back sprocket or drop down a size on the front to get low end power.. :D

John

caseywoods5
12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Pretty good info here, but you will want to go up in size on the back sprocket or drop down a size on the front to get low end power.. :D

John

thanks for catching that man! i was thinking gearing for bottom end but accidentally said it wrong haha, i fixed it though.

caseywoods5
12-05-2011, 04:43 PM
also, i just remembered the steering stabilizer i was thinking about when i recommended one to you, you can get a CCP stabilizer for fairly cheap (cheaper than alot of others) and get some great gains, alot of guys on here recommend them.

djwilliams0822
12-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys. Im really looking at the steering stabilizers do they make your steering stiffer? As in harder to turn

caseywoods5
12-05-2011, 05:37 PM
they make it so when you're riding in rough terrain it's not as hard on you. like if you hit a big rock or stump or something, your handlebars would normally rip out of your hands, with these, they will not. and it makes what would normally give you fatigue and arm pump very easy to ride and you'll be able to ride faster and in higher gears since it doesn't wear on you as much. it's a worth while investment and i'll be getting a CCP steering stabilizer sometime in the future.

Drfat400ex
12-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Holeshot front tires would be a great upgrade for handling, last thing you need flying through the bush is to hit some slick mud, try to turn but instead go strait into a tree as that can sometimes happen. Rear tires would also help too, although too much grip can take away from the fun, I had Maxxis Razrs on the rear of my 300ex, and I hated them, couldn't slide at all which made alot of turns harder to take at faster speeds because instead of a nice controlled slide it would try and tip over.

djwilliams0822
12-08-2011, 06:08 AM
I run berm raider all around. They are knock off but they are awesome.