PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaking from headers? NO SMOKE!!!

motomanmike
12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
I've got an 01 400ex with who knows what done to it I bought from a guy a few months ago. Its not your average 400ex because it is very fast compared to my stock 05. It was said it had a hot cam and a slightly higher compression piston i'm guessing 11.1 because it runs on pump gas However there is a pretty annoying leak at the exhaust headers. Rather under the headers, i've taken the rocker cover off and verified it is not the oil seals that hold the rockers in on the allen bolts nor is it the rocker cover gasket itself. Strange thing is it doesnt smoke out the exhaust, compression test are in spec around 120-125 cold but when you ride this thing it leaks bad. Bad enough its leaking on the cylinder and the residual oil is smoking when you cut the quad off due to the oil burning on the head. Would something as simple as valve guide seals cause this or is the problem deeper like valve guides worn? I would think it would smoke out the tail pipe if that was the case from my experience, I HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO SMOKE AT ALL OUT THE TAIL PIPE AT IDLE, WOT, OR DURING DECELERATION. The quad does not smoke at all, runs awesome however leaks oil under the exhaust. I havn't pulled it all apart yet other than popping the rocker cover off thinking that was the issue at first. Thoughts? Seems to be a common issue though i was looking at used heads on ebay and there is another one that has the same oil saturation mine does on the front.

CJM
12-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Could be a bad head gasket. That or you got a hole somewhere. Could also be bad valve guides.

Id clean it off really good and start it up and verify exactly where the oils coming from.

01boneless
12-04-2011, 06:24 PM
i would think if its coming from the ports it would smoke and smoke bad. it has to be the head gasket . replace the crush gaskets to on the headers

motomanmike
12-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah i'm going to, it has leaked since i bought it, i just havn't rode it due to the axle carrier being broken, i've fixed the carrier and can ride it now and have realized it leaks bad, do they have any o rings or anything on the locator dowels for the oil galley flowing from the bottom to top? Anything other than a head gasket? Its been a long long time since i've worked on a 400ex. Maybe whoever has built it didn't put a cap or acorn nut on that exposed head stud? who knows.

CJM
12-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Nothing like o rings on the dowel pins, its probably the gasket.

andresracing7
12-04-2011, 08:19 PM
more than likely you blew a head gasket my 400ex did the same thing and i replaced the head gasket and it stopped leaking.but dont ride it till you fix it or you will be out alot of money in rebuilding it