PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Issues

finsteratv
12-04-2011, 02:10 PM
The car my parents brought me home from the hospital is now being passed down upon me. 1996 ford explorer 4x4 4.0 6cyl. Last few monthes it has had a rough idle and gas smell on start up and after you shut it off. It's been my dads comuter so i havnt been very aware of it till he started telling me what i needed to fix :rolleyes: He atleast replaced some "module" he says that helped with about 70% of the rough idle. The gas smell is what neither him nor i can trace, the ford dealer said they couldnt find anything but since then it has gotten worse. So far I've put in seat covers a new seat frame and a full Pioneer sound system with him. Its also got power everything tow package and an added transmission cooler my dad added for towing. Anybody have an idea on the rough idle or gas smell? it's not a cracked injector we know that atleast..haha. thanks guys!

89trx250r
12-04-2011, 03:23 PM
You were born in 96?:confused:

finsteratv
12-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Yup just turned 15. getting it ready for the big 16.

beastlywarrior
12-04-2011, 04:14 PM
96 holy crap i remember that year

wykyd450R
12-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Maybe a leak in the fuel line? Could maybe be pushing a small amount of fuel out at start up til the fuel is flowing good, and the sudden stop of the flow when shutting down, while the line is still under pressure? Maybe it has a return line to the tank thats leaking aswell?

CJM
12-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Leak in the tank or lines or perhaps a bad injector. Someone needs to test fuel pressure and check for leaks. Rough idle could be a bad mass air flow sensor.

Id check for codes and get someone to scan it in realtime with it running.

finsteratv
12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
alrighty cool, tank doesnt leak..whenever theres a slight sheen on the ground its up near the front and i've read about the return line so maybe thts somthing to check. and CJM the oil doesnt smell like gas and the oil level hasnt gone up.

CJM
12-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Oil would only mix with the gas if you were pushing it past the rings, bad rings-which usually doesnt happen all to often unless you abuse an engine.

I were you I would try and pinpoint the smell and check for any leaks on the lines, pump area (might be kinda tough to get to), filter and injectors as well as the fuel rail.

finsteratv
12-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Alrighty i'll try that when i find some time.

HondaPohl
12-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Is the check engine light on? Bad oxy sensor can play havoc. Had this issues with my tahoe. And by the way. There is a reason they are called exploders! LOL

wilkin250r
12-05-2011, 09:22 PM
I had a 1995, I know quite a bit about them.

There are a few little items that are known for failing, and any of them could cause a rough idle. Either the Mass Air Flow sensor, or the Idle Air Control sensor (or is it a valve?).

The fuel smell could be any seal along the fuel line. On almost every fuel-injected vehicle ever built, turning the key "ON" will cycle the fuel pump for about two seconds. If you do this several times, just click the key "on" for about two seconds, "off" for about two seconds, over and over about eight or nine times (obviously not turning the key far enough to start the engine), you'll likely pressurize the fuel system enough to get underneath it and look for leaks.

They're known for transmission problems. I had to replace mine, and when I was looking around for prices, a lot of transmission shops actually had pictures of Ford Explorers used in their advertising.

Do you know what engine you have in it?

Exrider434
12-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I had a similar gas smell in my 1996 ford thunderbird, a high pressure fuel return lie was rubbing on the body underneath and created a small pin hole and when the system pressurized it would spray a stream of fuel out the line. I didn't figure it out until the hole was large enough that it wouldn't pressurize the system any longer and the car wouldn't start.

finsteratv
12-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Its got the 4.0 6cylinder. I havnt gotten much time to work on it between school and sports. I'll definately try pressurizing the system to see if i can find somthing. MAF was what my father replaced.