PDA

View Full Version : Suspension setup for Trail Riding

wolfe 21
12-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Ok, I've had this bike for 4 years and I'm ready to start modifying it to suit my riding habits and style. So, I guess my question is simply what's the best way to solve a couple problems I've noticed. I'm 6'2", 200 - 215 depending on day and dress (probably closer 225 with lid, boots, roost guard, and hydration). Quad is running 22x7x10 and 22x11x9 tires, stock rims, stock arms and swinger, stock axle, PRM Summit bumper, belly arms and swinger skids and stock shocks all around.

First, the nose comes up way too easy. I want the back to squat and hook, without trying to ride itself over backwards. Heard this attributed to poorly designed linkage for the rear shock. Is this correct and what's the fix??
Second, I don't race or jump my bike, but the front shocks are a little stiff. I've got some 450r take-offs, but everyone says they need to be rebuilt to be usable. What is the best rebuild option for me (resprung, re-valve, both)??
My preference is more for hi-speed than close in trails or racing. I like 5th gear dirt roads or fire trails more than 1-3rd tight technical woods trails with obstructions and inclines (got off hard on nasty woods trail, not in big hurry to try again. My own fault tho for trying to torque up a hill instead of carrying speed at the bottom). Would a steering stabilizer be a good addition to my bike?

Thanks, James.

finsteratv
12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
you might be heavy enough to just use the 450 shocks. I'd try them, adjust them and i it doesnt work out send them out to be redone.

CJM
12-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Take all the preload off the 450r shocks and adjust the rebound and compression to your liking (mine happen to be quite fast and I ride alot of open sandy roads and trails and do alot of whoops).

Reason the bike picks up is thats the way its designed. The swingarm is a rad bit to short, thus you get a light frontend. You want to get a longer swingarm $$$$ or simply go up a tooth in the front sprocket from 15 to 16. This will make it so you have TONS of top speed, less torque and thus your less prone to lift it up OR you could just lean further forward...

wolfe 21
12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
yeah, that's basically what ive been doin to compensate. 220 over the rear axle doesn't help keep the front end down any...:eek2:

Yeah, I have considered the gearing change, but my friends ride 350 warriors that cant keep up as it is. Guess I'm just gonna have to practice with the clutch and throttle control. The redesigned linkages like race tech or gt thunder sell aren't helpful for curing this?

CJM
12-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Linkages will just lower the quad and reduce the bucking you feel. Your friends need to get rid of thier 1980's tech and upgrade lol..

Pipeless416
12-04-2011, 07:26 PM
i did notice that the GTT XC link keeps the nose planted much better under hard acceleration. it allows the rear to squat a little bit more.

CJM
12-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
i did notice that the GTT XC link keeps the nose planted much better under hard acceleration. it allows the rear to squat a little bit more.

Glad to hear that, I wasnt aware. Good news everyone!

dustin_j
12-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416

True. Stock, a 400ex wheelies more due to the steep rear linkage progression than simply a short swingarm.