PDA

View Full Version : Honda 2007 TRX90 pops out of gear and sticks in first

joker11
12-02-2011, 06:25 PM
My daughter's quad has been acting up. The transmission gets stuck in first gear and we can't get it into neutral. That's the first problem.

The other problem is that while riding it will pop out of gear.

I have the Honda service manual and it does give troubleshooting for this. One of the troubleshooting tips is to adjust the clutch. You know, it doesn't say HOW to adjust the clutch.

I took the right side engine cover off and inspected the CAM, the CAM bolt, the return spring. It all looks fine. The inside was clean as could be.

I had put Honda synthetic motor oil in it. And that is the only MOD that has been done to the engine. I do have a RICKY Stator in it for the lights. But that's not engine or trans, that's electrical.

Any ideas?

miniquaddad90
12-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I would try adjusting the clutch. Loosen the right side cover nut, thread the adjuster counterclock wise till you feel it make contact then back it off 1/8-1/4 turn.

If that doesnt help any I would think maybe a bent shif fork could be the problem

IMO standard Honda GN4 oil is plenty. I dont think the syn oil is good for the wet clutch, just my opinion.

We run good conventional oil in all of our TRX90 race motors with no problems at all. But we do change it after every race

joker11
12-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks. I did adjust it. seems better but I had my son test ride it and he said it happened once. Only once. I guess I need to buy some tools and tear into this thing.

The book shows quite a list of tools just for this project. A gear holder looks like something a tech invented. Looks like a section of broken sprocket with a handle. That's clever!

miniquaddad90
12-03-2011, 09:05 PM
nah.... The only special tool you will need is the double ended clutch socket tool which you can buy at dratv for under $20 and an impact. I use a electric impact and it gets the job done.