PDA

View Full Version : Wanna hear some BS?

Moded86R
02-27-2003, 06:28 PM
I have lived in the same area since I was 4.I lived about an 1/8 mile down the road from where I used to live.Anyway I have also been riding the same trails since I was little bitty.

Behind my house there is a guy that rents 375 acres.It is the awesome place to ride.A creek going through the middle.# feilds,Tons of hill climbs and alot of trails.Behind that there is a guy that owns a good 500 acres.It is also awesome to ride.There are a bunch of feilds,About a 2 mile long gravel road.A lake,a pond.Just an awesome spot to ride.

Well yesterday when we where riding my neighbor.Who also rides.Stoped and talked to us.And said he called the guy that owns the 500 acres And asked him about why all trails that enter his property are barb wired off.And he said he is tired of us riding back there.There is a whole 2 people that ride back there.And we don't tear anything up!The guy that owns the property is trying to talk the guy that rents into planting corn on his feilds.So we can't ride there either.This sucks.I used to have almost 1500 acres to ride on there.(there used to be more but they built a subdivision t behind the guy that owns the land)And now I am down to 6!This is horrible.

tants
02-27-2003, 06:31 PM
his land, his rules. but yes it still sucks :mad:

Ralph
02-27-2003, 06:32 PM
bring a wire cutter...

Moded86R
02-27-2003, 06:36 PM
No I wont cut the fence.My neighbor said they will be installing camera's back there.They guy that owns the land is a millionaire.He really is.Owns one of the biggest construction companies in the state.And he said they will be installing camera's they use for game to find anyone riding/tresspassing back there.And the worst part we wouldn't know where they are.So I have decided to stay out of trouble and make due with what I have.It only means my mx track getting better anyway!

DESDAK4
02-27-2003, 06:39 PM
It does suck when people just up and say no after it has been going on for so long. Up here if it is not fenced or posted we can ride it and all the posted signs must be updated every year or they are not valid and you can ride it if you are willing to agrue the signs.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

mrusk
02-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Yea it sucks you lost your riding area, but you can't really be mad at the guy. It is his land after all. If i had alot of land and someone ask to ride on it, chances are i'd say no. There is jsut to many sue happy people now adays. People say they won't sue, but as soon as they get injured they see the dollor signs.

matt

flyin#5
02-27-2003, 08:04 PM
i know exactly how you feel. i have a farmer guy that lives accross the street from me who used to own about 300+ acers around my house but he sold it to some guys that are dumber than a box or rocks... but anyways they dont really care (or know) that i ride on there land but its just mostly alot of cornfields and some small trails but i go onto these other ppl land with a big open plain of huge rolling hills and trails and really great riding. you can get some nice air off some of the hills too. a couple years ago they said i could ride back there but now they said i cant becuase there have been ppl breaking old car windows that sit in the woods:huh what would it matter if they broke windows out of cars that have been sitting there forever! i think they just dont want me back there for some reason. i never rip anything up i just ride. that was my favorite place to go hang around and play some quad tag and stuff like that. also some jacka**es started making like 20 trails into this field and they tried to blocke them off so i think that was part of the problem but where i come in (snomobile trail) they cant block off so i still go in there sometimes:devil and dont worry bout me getting caught they ride polarises!:p

Big400EX
02-27-2003, 08:17 PM
That really sucks dude, I kinda feel sorry because my parents bought 24 acres in the Poconos and all the locals used to ride on the property where we are building the house, and they really tore it up, there were some awesome trails and stuff. But then my uncle put chains up and now they cant ride there, maybe when I get my quad I will make friends with them and we can ride away from my house and on the other 23 acres?:devil

J

Glow Plug
02-27-2003, 08:24 PM
that really sucks i wished that i had something to ride on that was decent but my dad will only let me ride on our propety argg 40 acrs get's bored real quick arggg i have made a desicion when i am old enough and get buy my our house i am going to make sure that i have at least 100 + acrs for my kid's so that they have a chance to ride some where's decent sorry just venting

not2hi
02-28-2003, 04:13 PM
OK, here's another viewpoint.

>begin soapbox

I own 20 acres that borders a 185 acre farm. We moved here back in 2000, and at that time my son and his friends had about 5 acres to ride on, 4 on our property and 1 not on our property but landlocked enough to where it didn't have much use. They spent alot of time building jumps and berms...all-in-all a really nice track. Last year they sold 3 lots off the larger farm and built houses right beside us. We told my son and friends that they would no longer be allowed to ride on the one acre that we did not own since it actually went into one of these new lots. They weren't happy but they dealt with it. They have been instructed to never ride on any property that is not ours. They got caught once riding through crop fields, and lost the privledge of riding for a weekend.

My main concern on having people ride on my property is the liability issues involved. You come on to my property and manage to kill yourself, and suddenly YOUR parents are living in MY house. Everyone would like to think that their parents would never do such a thing, but everything changes when a child is injured.

Its nice to think that if you had 100 acres, you could just let anyone ride whenever they wanted. In this less than perfect society, you wouldn't own your 100 acres very long. To do it the right way (public ATV track) is a costly and time consuming process. The guy who owns Southern Maryland ATV park knows this all too well. He had 800 acres of trails, and it was resonable to ride there. Then he went "legal". He's been closed for a year waiting for all the paperwork to be done, and the riding fees have gone through the roof, cost wise.

I'm still amazed that no matter how many "no tresspassing" signs i put up, how many people show up riding in my back yard. Since i've lived there, only one person has asked for my permission to ride there, and guess what? He now rides whenever he wants to back there, all because he took the time to ask me. Everyone else now has to face fences and locked gates.

My suggestion to you guys is to make a formal presentation to the owner of the property. Do a little research. Offer to help him clean and maintain the trails. Find out what his concerns are with you riding there. Liability? Ask him to find out what his lawyer would charge to draft a liability form and offer to pay that fee. In the end, however, if he says no, than so be it. Buy a trailer and $upport your local track.

>end soapbox

Sportrax10
02-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by not2hi
OK, here's another viewpoint.

>begin soapbox

I own 20 acres that borders a 185 acre farm. We moved here back in 2000, and at that time my son and his friends had about 5 acres to ride on, 4 on our property and 1 not on our property but landlocked enough to where it didn't have much use. They spent alot of time building jumps and berms...all-in-all a really nice track. Last year they sold 3 lots off the larger farm and built houses right beside us. We told my son and friends that they would no longer be allowed to ride on the one acre that we did not own since it actually went into one of these new lots. They weren't happy but they dealt with it. They have been instructed to never ride on any property that is not ours. They got caught once riding through crop fields, and lost the privledge of riding for a weekend.

My main concern on having people ride on my property is the liability issues involved. You come on to my property and manage to kill yourself, and suddenly YOUR parents are living in MY house. Everyone would like to think that their parents would never do such a thing, but everything changes when a child is injured.

Its nice to think that if you had 100 acres, you could just let anyone ride whenever they wanted. In this less than perfect society, you wouldn't own your 100 acres very long. To do it the right way (public ATV track) is a costly and time consuming process. The guy who owns Southern Maryland ATV park knows this all too well. He had 800 acres of trails, and it was resonable to ride there. Then he went "legal". He's been closed for a year waiting for all the paperwork to be done, and the riding fees have gone through the roof, cost wise.

I'm still amazed that no matter how many "no tresspassing" signs i put up, how many people show up riding in my back yard. Since i've lived there, only one person has asked for my permission to ride there, and guess what? He now rides whenever he wants to back there, all because he took the time to ask me. Everyone else now has to face fences and locked gates.

My suggestion to you guys is to make a formal presentation to the owner of the property. Do a little research. Offer to help him clean and maintain the trails. Find out what his concerns are with you riding there. Liability? Ask him to find out what his lawyer would charge to draft a liability form and offer to pay that fee. In the end, however, if he says no, than so be it. Buy a trailer and $upport your local track.

>end soapbox
I totally agree.

Sportrax10
02-28-2003, 05:52 PM
I have some allright small amount of trails close to my house that are gonna be turned into a neiborhood. There not much but it still sucks. Maybe ill be able to ride some construction as long as I talk to someone there and they dont care.... but that wont last long. I am also building a very small track in my back yard so that will have to keep my occupied for about 2 hours a day untill I get a truck and license. Also the occasion 1 mile road ride to some other trails down the road and once in a while when my dad brings me somewhere to ride.

Moded86R
02-28-2003, 05:57 PM
I agree with not2hi.Like I said though I have been riding there since I was little bity.And have asked him on numerous occasions.The answer has always been no.Well like the people you are talking about ending up in your back yard.I also disobeyed the signs and continued to ride there.I am regreting doing it now.It is my fault and I take responsiblity for what has happened.What I am saying though is he never even gave a chance.My neighbor asked the same guy and got permission.He is also older.(In his earlier 30's.I am 17)But now no one can ride back there.I have a feeling there have been more people riding back there than just us 2 though.Also there is a lake.That is 40 something foot deep.(they built it when I was little)They are also alot of liability issue's with the lake.And people swiming in it.So I can tottally see where is coming from.And while it does suck it a little of my own fault I guess.I have never run from them.If they catch me back there I stop.And see if I can get permission that time.Which ahs always got the same answer.NO.

The guy that rents land is really nice.I used to be really good freinds with his daughter and I know his whole family pretty well.I have had permission from him to ride back there for a long time.And I have never tore anything up.He asked me not build jumps I didn't.With the permission there also comes respect.And the fact that he respects me enough to allow me to ride there.I am also going to respect him enough to tear up his land.

Do understand what I am saying.

not2hi
02-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Well, it sucks that you lost a good riding area for whatever reason. The owner's just ticked off at the moment, and maybe not even at you. He's not going to change his mind anytime soon, so let him chill for a while.

I also think you are right about more than two people riding there. It's funny, my son is in 10th grade and on more than one occasion, he's heard people talking about some secret riding area only to find out it's our place! The people that ride at my house are told to keep it under wraps or risk losing it altogether.

So you lost the big one, tough, end of story. The other place is still up for grabs. Find out if you can still ride the areas that are not going to be planted. Or perhaps along the edges where the crops meet the woods/unplanted areas. DO NOT ride where anything has been planted!! Farmers have a tough enough time trying to make a living let alone having crops destroyed by the careless. If there are woods or brushy areas, offer to clean them up for the chance to ride there. You've already mentioned respect is the key, respect for the people and the property. Age should have no bearing, but unfortunately it does to some people. You may just have to work a bit harder to earn it.