PDA

View Full Version : paint my wheels black

albertp86
12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
I was going to PC them but the guy wants 25 each wheel. No thanks. Anyone paint their wheels black? What did you do?

audioworks04
12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
25 a wheel is super cheap, I would do that in a heart beat. Also gforce wheels are pretty nice and can be had for 50 a piece in black, sometimes cheaper. But if you want to paint then any kind of paint will work find, just prep them good. That means clean scuff clean prime scuff clean paint. If your tires are still on, playing cards work great to stick around the edge to mask off the tire. http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt59/audioworks04/IMAG0159.jpg

fx4pitrone
12-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Thats what I paid to have mine PC'd ($25) each... thought it was a fair price....

HondaPohl
12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
ahhh yea. 25 a wheel is a good price.

albertp86
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
In life I think most people will pay for something that gives them value. I don't want cheap, I want value. I don't disagree with someone powder coating 4 wheels for $100. It's not a bad cost. It's just not a value to me.

Great idea with the plying cards. Never thought of that. Thanks

danhung11
12-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I'd go powdercoat versus paint, it's much more durable. If you went 2-3 mil coat, it's tons better than 2-3 coats of spray paint. Makes the wheel tougher as well... $25 a wheel is good price, knowing he will blast them before the coating.

JM317
12-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I've had black wheels in the past, both painted and powdercoated but I personally prefer polished aluminum finish because of where I ride and the high probability of damage to a coated surface. With that being said, if I were to coat a wheel black I would use an epoxy paint over powdercoat due to it being easier to touch up everytime you scratch them. I have a family member who runs a diesel repair shop that can coat wheels for me free of charge and I would still choose the paint personally when it comes to wheels. The last set I coated on my son's mini was done with a Rustoleum primer and PJ1 black epoxy but Ace Hardware usually has several varieties of epoxy for a little bit cheaper than the PJ1 from the dealers.

2-330s
12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
i wouldn't go with powder. it is durable but chips and can't be touched up baked enamel is tough and not as thick so it seems to hold up better. i bought a set of black rims that lasted well. i thought they were powder coated and did a set of itps in black powder, not the same. if you ride in a area that has rocks or sand berms that will hit the rim you will be disappointed.

imo if you want black rims prep them rite and hit them with a black bonding/emulsifying primer and flat black enamel so you can touch them up.

88r8303
12-05-2011, 09:50 AM
I had a set coated black a few months ago, they were steel and pretty rusted up, i was putting them on my old ladies R so im not real worried about em being steel but they blasted clean of rust and turned out amazing, Rick at Performance Coatings in Joplin Mo did them for me and only charged $15 per wheel to blast and coat. He does all of Schoenfelds headers they sale he is very reasonable and does great work. Just google him and his number pops up if anyone is interested.