PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how to restore plastics?

jaxes88
12-02-2011, 11:53 AM
so the fenders on my 250x are pretty ugly and have all of these little hairline cracks on the surface. I was wondering is there any way to make em like new again. I know that they make products to make em shiny but I'm more concerned with getting rid of the cracks. Is there a way I can sand the top layer off or something?

witech
12-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Those are long gone. Did you park it in sunlight?

audioworks04
12-02-2011, 02:23 PM
You can try sanding, it depends on how deep the scratches are. Start with nothing rougher than 600 grit and sand until it feels like your arm is going to fall off, and then do it again. Once you get done with that start over with the next step finer paper, repeat, repeat, repeat until you get to 2000 grit. Then polish. If you search I am sure you can find a write up somewhere with a step by step with pictures. All I can tell you is use lots of water, and I hope your arm is strong. Do not try to use anything powered, you will create too much heat and ruin your plastics.

jaxes88
12-02-2011, 03:42 PM
i bought it used last summer and it was that way, yeah the plastics aren't great but it has brand new rear tires, runs like a top, and it hasn't been molested.

HondaPohl
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Sand in the same direction.

audioworks04
12-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I actually like to sand in opposite directions when I switch grits, this way I can make sure I have fully sanded out the previous sand scratches. But to each his own, either way will work.