PDA

View Full Version : 22" tires?

tbrackman84
12-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Do 22" tall rear tires fit on 400's no problem, or are they close to rubbing? I have tusk aluminum heel guards, and stock wheels, and just got a possible good deal on 22" rear tires for snow riding, any info will help..

dxcody
12-02-2011, 10:25 AM
they will fit fine. 22" are great for snow and such for the extra ground clearance

4WheelinDemon
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
If you wanna save yourself the money for a new carrier i wouldnt put them on then. I had 22" tires (swamp fox tires 22" rear) on mine and it literally blew up a bearing in the carrier at 60mph. It chewed up the entire carrier, sleeve, other bearing and the hub for the sprocket on the axle. I ended up buying a new dual row LSR carrier. I have p[ictures of the damage that i will post probably later tonight when i get back.

01boneless
12-02-2011, 10:38 AM
i dont understand how bigger tires will hurt a carrier :huh
i say bs :blah:

dxcody
12-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
i dont understand how bigger tires will hurt a carrier :huh
i say bs :blah:

I say your carrier was going bad before the 22" and at 60mph if your carrier goes out, yea its going to explode.

3wheelers have the same swingarm design and come stock with 22"

DragonGunner
12-02-2011, 11:05 AM
I run 22" Mud Lites on mine for mud an snow in the winter. You won't have any problems an they won't hurt your carrier bearings...I'll give you guys a hint on checking your bearings before they blow up on you...every so often after a ride cautiously put your hand on the swingarm coverering the carrier...it should be cold.....when you touch it an it feels hot, the bearings need replaced...wait tooooo long an they will eat up your carrier.

JOHNDOE83
12-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I run 22s on the drag strip and use 21in paddles in dirt, theres no way the tire size would blow up your carrier.

If it would, it would have exploded mine at 70mph in hard pack dirt with 21in 10 paddle haulers.

Im sure they were going bad before that happend.

If your gonna run 22s off road, get a 12t front sproket 13 is fine. Youll love the 12 though.

tbrackman84
12-02-2011, 01:07 PM
thanks guys, i really don't think that actual tire size means anything when it comes to wear on the bearings, i would think that has much more to do with tire weight and ply...

ish416
12-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Allow me to learn you all some physics.

An object traveling in a circle behaves as if it is experiencing an outward force. This force, known as the centrifugal force, depends on the mass of the object, the speed of rotation, and the distance from the center. The more massive the object, the greater the force; the greater the speed of the object, the greater the force; and the greater the distance from the center, the greater the force.

So larger tires are generally heavier and also have a longer distance from the outer edge to the very center. So yes, there is more stress applied on the axle and bearings with a larger tire.

You also need to consider that where an 18" or 20" tire will spin a 22" might spin and catch causing even more stress on the bearings.

Even when turning, a larger tire places more stress on the axle and bearings. As the farther an object gets from center the faster it has to spin to match the speed at the center of the wheel. So where your axle will rotate 1/4 of an inch the tread on your tires may have to move 8 inches to maintain the distance traveled at the center of the wheel. This also means that a larger wheel will want to continue going straight while a smaller wheel will be easier to influence a change in direction.

One more thing, a wider axle also places more stress on the bearings and carrier as well.

I know that this may not be perfectly accurate as far as my terminology but it's the best I could come up with without getting overly boring (technical) while still giving an easy to follow explanation.

Stickman400
12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
I've got 20s on my 400 now and I don't think I could fit 22s on it. I have Pro Armor nerf bars and they would rub the backside of the heel guard. Remember that when you get going fast your tire will "balloon" like a dragster tire. My 20s rub the backside of my heel guard when I get going 30 mph and jump my tabletop.

JOHNDOE83
12-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ish416
Allow me to learn you all some physics.

An object traveling in a circle behaves as if it is experiencing an outward force. This force, known as the centrifugal force, depends on the mass of the object, the speed of rotation, and the distance from the center. The more massive the object, the greater the force; the greater the speed of the object, the greater the force; and the greater the distance from the center, the greater the force.

So larger tires are generally heavier and also have a longer distance from the outer edge to the very center. So yes, there is more stress applied on the axle and bearings with a larger tire.

You also need to consider that where an 18" or 20" tire will spin a 22" might spin and catch causing even more stress on the bearings.

Even when turning, a larger tire places more stress on the axle and bearings. As the farther an object gets from center the faster it has to spin to match the speed at the center of the wheel. So where your axle will rotate 1/4 of an inch the tread on your tires may have to move 8 inches to maintain the distance traveled at the center of the wheel. This also means that a larger wheel will want to continue going straight while a smaller wheel will be easier to influence a change in direction.

One more thing, a wider axle also places more stress on the bearings and carrier as well.

I know that this may not be perfectly accurate as far as my terminology but it's the best I could come up with without getting overly boring (technical) while still giving an easy to follow explanation.

But this describes force on the tires? Which they are rated for, so is the quad.

The bearings arent moving any faster and they dont have more stress on them, If that were the case sportbike motor'd quad's would explode bearings out of the carrier when they hit 100+ mph with 24in 16 paddle tires using stock banshee, 400ex and 450r carriers.

Your right in what you said "in some parts" but there are factors your not taking into consideration.

mkh155
12-02-2011, 04:32 PM
I was wondering the same thing,but now that i know they will fit do you guys know of any 22" mud tires with aggressive tread? Also what size do you guys use for fronts when running 22" rears?

HondaPohl
12-02-2011, 04:52 PM
A taller more aggressive tire is going to be harder on the quad hence harder on the bearings. I think mainly due to handling. If you think about it, running a mudlite type tire or a gator on a sport quad is not gonna slide out when going through turns. So all that energy is gonna come through the axle and wear harder on the bearings. In snow it wouldnt be as hard due to traction issues. However I do not think two hours after putting bigger tires on that your carrier is going to explode. IMO

tbrackman84
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
i was only asking because i just bought ams zipper snow tires and they only come in 22's. I'm really not worried about it wearing out my carrier bearings, i have a dual row carrier and the tires are inly 2 ply, and i'll be running low pressure in them for snow...

HondaPohl
12-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by tbrackman84
i was only asking because i just bought ams zipper snow tires and they only come in 22's. I'm really not worried about it wearing out my carrier bearings, i have a dual row carrier and the tires are inly 2 ply, and i'll be running low pressure in them for snow...

Yea in the snow I wouldnt be concerned. In the dirt... Yea. Good luck!

JOHNDOE83
12-02-2011, 08:35 PM
ams zipper and maxxis 4snow are one of the best dirt drag tires out there also!

ish416
12-02-2011, 09:02 PM
But this describes force on the tires? Which they are rated for, so is the quad. The bearings arent moving any faster and they dont have more stress on them, If that were the case sportbike motor'd quad's would explode bearings out of the carrier when they hit 100+ mph with 24in 16 paddle tires using stock banshee, 400ex and 450r carriers. Your right in what you said "in some parts" but there are factors your not taking into consideration.

I am describing the entire rotating assembly. That means tires, wheels, axle, sprocket, rear brake disc and axle bearings. Larger tires stress everything that rotates that is attached to the axle. If you want to get seriously technical it feeds back all the way to the crank.

I also never ever mentioned anything about running a 100+hp engine or doing over 100mph. Fact is, that with a quad that is capable of doing that will stress the bearings more than a quad that makes 30hp and only does 70mph.

Understand that everything that rotates on the axle is stressing the bearings in the carrier. So the larger the object spinning the more force is applied to the very center of the wheel, in this case, the axle and the bearings.

cj7den
12-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I run 22" gator tires on my 400ex. I have no prob at all with them spinning in corners. I have not had a prob on my rear carrier this year. I have also taking 22" tires and wraped them in skidoo track with 2" paddle for playing in the snow.

JOHNDOE83
12-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by ish416
Fact is, that with a quad that is capable of doing that will stress the bearings more than a quad that makes 30hp and only does 70mph.

That is a fact.

And it makes what Im saying more realistic.

100hp banshee's and 80hp 450s running much larger tires and much more HP then we use are doing just fine and not blowing axle bearings.

DragonGunner
12-03-2011, 02:51 PM

Check out MudLites...a light weight 22" Tractor type tread..great for snow an mud...I love mine. They don't corne that great for fast racing but then I don't use them for that either...I run 21" tire up front but even taller for deep snow is better....by the way, i've seen PRO GNCC racers using 22" tires, that are heavy 6 ply.....no exploding bearing.....so don't even worry about it.

DragonGunner
12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
That is a fact.

And it makes what Im saying more realistic.

100hp banshee's and 80hp 450s running much larger tires and much more HP then we use are doing just fine and not blowing axle bearings.

Neither are my 20 hp 82', 84' an 86' 3-Wheelers with 22" an 25" tires...

Scro
12-03-2011, 03:11 PM
If your carrier fails because you put 2" taller tires on, you more than likely had issues that were unrelated to the tires. A stock carrier, in good shape, is more than strong enough for the minimal increase in stress from the change in tire size.

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2011, 06:33 PM
You can ask this guy if he's having any bearing problems :p

Stickman400
12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
^ That's pretty funny. All 4 of those rims alone prolly cost more than that 400 does, not including the tires. Be pretty funny seeing someone riding that though.

dxcody
12-03-2011, 06:54 PM
wonder if you could ride a wheelie on that :blah:

Boy they would be ticked if they let me ride that :devil:

dxcody
12-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Oh and also, Im not calling anyone out, pointing any fingers, anything like that, but this thread has absolutly nothing to do with the argument it has turned into.

Just let it go guys. If you think your right then good. Im not saying your wrong, im not saying your right, im just saying all the guy asked for was to know if the tires would fit, not if his bearings would blow out after he put them on.

So if you guys wish to continue, PM eachother or something.

Just Be happy!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

4WheelinDemon
12-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Ok to everybody who obviously think im a bul****ter. Wanna know how i know this buds? When i first got my ex i changed the bearings in the carrier along with the sleeve and seals and guess what happened...it blew the f*** up. When my one friend got a brand new lonestar carrier he ran 22" mudlites and guess what happened? It blew the f*** up. I was going to buy a kfx450r before on craigslist and it only needed the carrier. i asked him about it and he said it blew up a bearing. Asked what size tires he had and OMG he aid 22" tires! Funny aint it? So when your bearing blows up and grinds everything inside to hell you'll be ayin wow, 4WheelinDemon was right :O

4WheelinDemon
12-03-2011, 09:20 PM
BTW im not a rookie at thi stuff. Ive rebuilt 14 engines before(ATV and dirtbike) all top end and bottom. Suspenion to brakes. Frame welding to dam near everything else. I know what im talking about people. You'll see one day when something happens.

dxcody
12-03-2011, 09:23 PM
and here we go again.......

4WheelinDemon
12-03-2011, 09:27 PM
ish416 thank you for that post, hopefully they listen to it haha and im done talkin about it. Yoiu'll maybe get about and around a half year with that carrier using 22"s. Keep in mind, some carriers are made for center tire sizes. Most are for 20"ers. Doneeee :]

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm not looking to get on anyones nerves here, but can you please explain why a 300ex doesn't blow up bearings then? It comes stock with 22's. Carrier looks pretty similar to a 400ex carrier.

Oh, and btw. 300ex's and 400ex's use the same carrier bearings.

Pipeless416
12-03-2011, 10:01 PM
lol at this whole thread

CJM
12-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Right..

Ok kiddies let me explain something, and trust me it wont be technical or hard to understand.

There is no way in hell larger tires, unless they are huge (think 30") would blow out bearings. If that was the case then 22" tall tires, mudlites, heavy paddles, 6 ply razrs and or holeshots would also blow them bearings out b/c the bikes usually come stock with 4ply lightweight tires and the added weight and stress of the tires would cause damage-it doesnt.

That being said, never once heard of bearing failure due to tire size on a quad. Never seen it, never heard of it-cause it doesnt exist.

Im pretty sure considering all factors that I would be the one to know such things given the fact I ride literally 500 or more hours a year and if anything the more hours logged-specially in the sand where I ride which tends to wreak havoc on most parts would have DESTROYED my bearings by now since my tires are approx 21" tall...

Now, can we stop this silly pointless argument.

01boneless
12-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
I'm not looking to get on anyones nerves here, but can you please explain why a 300ex doesn't blow up bearings then? It comes stock with 22's. Carrier looks pretty similar to a 400ex carrier.

Oh, and btw. 300ex's and 400ex's use the same carrier bearings.

its useless to try to explain it. :rolleyes: same thing i thought

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Right..

Ok kiddies let me explain something, and trust me it wont be technical or hard to understand.

There is no way in hell larger tires, unless they are huge (think 30") would blow out bearings. If that was the case then 22" tall tires, mudlites, heavy paddles, 6 ply razrs and or holeshots would also blow them bearings out b/c the bikes usually come stock with 4ply lightweight tires and the added weight and stress of the tires would cause damage-it doesnt.

That being said, never once heard of bearing failure due to tire size on a quad. Never seen it, never heard of it-cause it doesnt exist.

Im pretty sure considering all factors that I would be the one to know such things given the fact I ride literally 500 or more hours a year and if anything the more hours logged-specially in the sand where I ride which tends to wreak havoc on most parts would have DESTROYED my bearings by now since my tires are approx 21" tall...

Now, can we stop this silly pointless argument. Yes we all know this... Nothing wrong with trying to enlighten somebody though. ;)

CJM
12-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
Yes we all know this... Nothing wrong with trying to enlighten somebody though. ;)

Indeed :D

finsteratv
12-03-2011, 11:19 PM
this thred maid mi stouipid justt wreading et.

ish416
12-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Wow, this thread went to crap quickly and I feel I may be responsible for some it.

Allow me to clear things up.

Larger tires do indeed place more stress on the axle and bearings. However, running a 22" or even a 25" tire, you shouldn't worry about your bearings exploding or anything of the like. Yes, they will fail sooner than if you ran a smaller tire. That doesn't mean if you run anything over a 20 that they will explode the first ride out.

I have ran everything from an 18" holeshot, a 22" 300EX factory Ohtsu with way more air than was supposed to be in it and a 22" Skat Trak 10 blade paddle on me EX and KFX450R. Neither of which have failed in what I consider to be a premature time frame. I replace the axle bearings on both of my quads every year. I have only suffered what I consider a premature bearing failure twice. Both times it was from the dust seal being torn and allowing dirt to get into the carrier and tear up the bearings. Do I think it was because I ran different size tires? No, I do not think that tire size came into play with either of the failures.

In short, a larger/heavier tire does place more stress on the bearings and axle, however, that doesn't mean you can't run a 22" tire on an EX for years without issue. The axle bearings and well honestly, most everything on nearly any quad is extremely well made to take a massive amount of abuse/stress before failure.

Apologies to the OP about getting off subject about the original issue of just running a 22" rear tire. It should work and *it should* be fine. I ran stock 300EX tires blown up to about a 25" tire height without issue but, I didn't have nerf bars or heel guards so I am not sure if they will make any difference.

erik420
12-04-2011, 08:24 AM
I have run six ply 22" holeshot hd s on my ex for 3 seasons now without any issues. I ride fairly aggressive trail riding and go out for 2 to 3 times a month during spring and summer months and a few times each winter.

4WheelinDemon
12-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I wasnt saying they would blow out the first couple rides btw. Im saying they will blow out much quicker. But ok end of story i guess f*** it.

tbrackman84
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
and all i wanted to know was if 22" tires would fit for snow riding 5 times during the winter:devil: sheesh!

CJM
12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
and all i wanted to know was if 22" tires would fit for snow riding 5 times during the winter:devil: sheesh!

Yea I hear ya. Thank the jerks for this one.